PDA

View Full Version : Blued New Headers!!

76elimspecial
06-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Finally Got The Boat Out This Weekend After Replacing Stringers, Carpet, And A Few Small Things Including New Ott Bassetts. Did It Right And Got The Electronic Banderlog Module. For Some Reason The Second Day I Trailer It And The Headers Are Blued, Yellowed, And Water Spotted All The Way Back. Needless To Say My Brand New Headers Look Like Sh#t. Pretty Upset About It And Not Planning On Having Any Luck With Warrenty. Soooooo....... My Question Is Whats Average Cost For Having Them Re Dipped Either Chrome Or Jet Coated????

lilrick
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
could the engine be running too lean? (creating excessive heat) Or maybe there wasn't enough water to the headers. Don't want to see you re-chrome the headers and have the same result. I 'm gonna do the ceramic deal next time.

Duane HTP
06-04-2006, 06:47 PM
It's more than likely not a warranty problem anyway. If your headers turned blue, one of three things is happening. 1. You are not putting enough water through them for some reason. 2. You are leaning your engine out for some reason. 3. Your total timing is retarded and causing too much heat. Or, I guess it could be a combination of all three. If these things are all right, the headers will NOT turn blue past the water injector inlets. Check your set up over real good, or it will just happen again.

76elimspecial
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Sorry I Could Have Explained It Better. Im About Positive I Didnt Have Enough Water Running Through Them At The Time. The First Day All Was Well. Second Day I Was Running It Easy Just Cruisin It Looked Like I Had An Excessive Amount Of Water Runnin Through. (lots Of Drops Not Steam). So I Shut Down The Metering Valve A Little Bit. All Was Well Then On The Way Back To The Marina I Started Runnin It Hard. After I Was Told By My Buddy Who Was Behind Me He Didnt See Anything Out Of The Headers. I Opened The Metering Valve Up To Where I Had It The Day Before And Of Course Here Comes The Water. So Yes My Fault. Thats Why No Warrenty. Should Have Explained Better The First Time. Thanks For The Help. Anybody Have Prices???

Rampager
06-04-2006, 07:24 PM
they can be cleaned up and the blue WILL come off but its a ton of work
you can use "blue job" that they sell for Harleys etc but be prepared for it to take a looong time. I started that way then tried standard polishing disks on a mini angle grinder with 2 different kinds of polishing paste. I was shocked at how well it worked and brought mine back. It was also alot faster once i figured out the amount of paste and pressure with the grinder
The pads i used velcro fit to a backing pad and they were basically felt, very very soft anyway. May cost ya $100 in material but it could save your headers
good luck
Cheers

hondajoey
06-04-2006, 08:06 PM
i got a quote awhile back from a local chrome shop here in Phx they wanted a 100bucks a header and i went and got a pair jethott coated and it was 350 for the pair they have a location in Tempe AZ, But i have polished my first pair that i bought used that had tons of blueing back to the belled ends i used mothers polish and some buffing wheels on my drill and they turned out pretty nice for about 25 bucks and several hours of your time you might be able to clean them up. also check out the bassett site for care tips and tell you to richen up your fuel mixture.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I have some purple polish that will take blue out of headers!! This stuff works and works well! Try it and see for yourself. I met the owners son at my store and he turned me on to it. This stuff kicks azz! Here is the link....
http://www.californiacustom.com/products/purple_metal_polish/pmp_default.htm

MudPumper
06-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Get em ceramic coated and call it a day. I'll never run chromed headers again, too much of a pain to keep nice.

79Challenger
06-05-2006, 09:04 AM
I have a number for a guy in Anaheim. I git the number from a guy the had his done and he said it inily cost him $110 for ceramic coating on both. All prep and coating included. He claims he didn't even remove the pissers. I will try to find the number.

76elimspecial
06-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks For The Polish Link 396. I Could Really Use That # To The Guy In Anaheim If Anybody Has It. Thanks.

castone001
06-05-2006, 09:59 AM
79 Challenger?
Did you find the number yet :)
Hell I'll go that route for that price. Can you choose color or is one color fits all?

76elimspecial
06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
What Are The Advantages / Disadvantages Of Ceramic Coating Headers As Oppposed To Chrome????

460 jus getn it
06-05-2006, 12:54 PM
What Are The Advantages / Disadvantages Of Ceramic Coating Headers As Oppposed To Chrome????
Well i have my headers jet hoted, ask the peeps i boat with if they look nice. I have polished them once in a year and a half. just whip them with windex and call it a day.....In my eyes, best 300 i have spent so far....................
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1570headers.jpg

79Challenger
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
79 Challenger?
Did you find the number yet :)
Hell I'll go that route for that price. Can you choose color or is one color fits all?
I will have to look when I get home tonight. I will post it up tonight or in the morning.
As far as colors I know there are places that have colors available, but as far as this guy goes I don't know.

Jet Hydro
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I have bought 3 sets from 2 different suppliers in the last 3 year and they all look like $hit. The worst pair are " jet coated" and are now rusty...errrrrrr
Good luck getting any warranty. I now know why they want paid up front, they have your money so what you gonna do about it now....lmao
I was told they would send me back $100.00 on these 900.00 headers ....lol... never showed up
Lesson::::: get RAW and have someone else coat em!
if you don't have any blistering then do as Duane said. If they blister then the chrome is bad. Been there done that.

9er
06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I've always had real good luck with HPC www.hpcoatings.com (http://www.hpcoatings.com )
I've done bassets, intakes, indmar exhaust and the pipes on my chopper.
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/2601Neal_001a.JPG
Usually the polished aluminum looking finish but they have colors too. I think the colors are good for 600 degrees.

later
06-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Where can I too get ceramic done?.Need #

÷קmᮆښ×÷
06-05-2006, 04:47 PM
get em hot again and take a gas soked rag and wipe them down it will take most of it off.. just be carfull when you do it ... :220v:

76elimspecial
06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
get em hot again and take a gas soked rag and wipe them down it will take most of it off.. just be carfull when you do it ... :220v:
REALLY. SOUNDS A LITTLE DANGEROUS. HAVE YOU DONE IT??

9er
06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Just get a buddy to do it while you hold the video camera............just incase.

÷קmᮆښ×÷
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
yes many times when we used to pull the boat out at races we would immediately do it to get rid of the blue .. (we never ran water through the engine)

superdave013
06-05-2006, 08:21 PM
blue headers make your boat look faster. Dry n Hot is the only way to run 'em.

Jet Hydro
06-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Just get a buddy to do it while you hold the video camera............just incase.
then post it on ***boat.com :220v: We want to see it!!!! :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-06-2006, 12:28 AM
blue headers make your boat look faster. Dry n Hot is the only way to run 'em.
And you know it dave:D

76elimspecial
06-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I will have to look when I get home tonight. I will post it up tonight or in the morning.
As far as colors I know there are places that have colors available, but as far as this guy goes I don't know.
ANY LUCK ON WITH THAT #??