PDA

View Full Version : Best Carpet for Trailer Bunks?

Tahiti21
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM
When the boat gets totally water proof, need to dump it at the marina, run back home and replace the wood and carpet on the trailer. Totally rotted!! Hope it didn't hurt the bottom of the boat.
Anybody have good luck with a certain type of carpet that will hold up a day or 4?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I just did mine and I used some short stuff. THe back appears to have been glued. I can snap a pic tonight and post it. Its hard to explain...

Devilman
06-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Got my carpet from Home Depot. Outdoor/marine grade carpet. Worked great!

YeLLowBoaT
06-05-2006, 06:37 AM
They make a carpet just for it... It comes in a role I just did it last year it was 10 bucks. I would ( and did) use presure treated for the bunks. I glued and nailed( roofing nails) the carpet on... It should last a long time.

YeLLowBoaT
06-05-2006, 06:44 AM
here is what the carpet looks like ( just snaped a pic, ignore the pine needles..)
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/Web DSCN0102.jpg

Devilman
06-05-2006, 07:08 AM
here is what the carpet looks like ( just snaped a pic, ignore the pine needles..)
Looks just like mine..... :cool:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Thats what mine looks like. The place I got mine from has different colors.

rerfert
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
When the boat gets totally water proof, need to dump it at the marina, run back home and replace the wood and carpet on the trailer. Totally rotted!! Hope it didn't hurt the bottom of the boat.
Buy the wood and carpet (I got mine at Lowes)....Cover the new wood with the new carpet, take it with you along with a cordless drill and asorted tools to the boat launch...Replace the wood in the parking lot.

cave
06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Just seen a guy doing this early Sunday. he had afew buddies to help. 1 to stay with the boat at the dock and another two helping with the replacement. Got it done in less than a 1/2 hour. Nice pit crew.

Nubbs
06-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I bought bunk carpet from Champion Trailers. It comes in a roll and they have various widths available. www.championtrailers.com

El Prosecutor
06-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Sounds like we are all thinking pretty much alike on this one.
I did mine a couple months ago:
Gray outdoor carpet from Home Depot
Pressure treated wood
"Liquid nails" glue and LOTS of stainless steel staples to attach carpet
Stainless lag bolts to attach bunk boards to trailer
I carpeted the boards at home, which was the hardest part of the job. Lots and lots of staples, and I worked hard to get the carpet stretched smooth and tight on the boards.
After the glue set up for a few days I took a portable power deal and a drill with me to the lake and let the family go cruise in the boat for about an hour while I fixed up the trailer in the parking lot.
I temporarily taped the boards to the metal brackets and drilled pilot holes with the boards in place, then drove the lag bolts in with a driver bit. (Had the bunk boards carpeted beforehand of course). Worked pretty slick and came out looking quite good.

Turboelimtim
06-06-2006, 09:01 PM
I did mine a couple of months ago. Used pressure treated wood, marine grade carpeting and stainless hardware. It took me 4 hours. I had some issues getting the old bunks off (had to saw some bolts off). I through bolted the bunks on, which takes more time since the holes needed to be match drilled, recessed and bolted prior to attaching the carpet. I double layered the carpet, then stapled it with rustproof monel staples. So far, so good.

El Prosecutor
06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I through bolted the bunks on. . ..
I may go back and do that too. Haven't had problems yet, but I think I would feel safer.

moneysucker
06-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I have used marine Grade carpet and it worked great. I got a little carried away putting flames and drips in different colored carpet. What a pain in the ass for no recognition. No one even notices and I spent almost $200 on carpet. I went a different route on my dolly trailer, 4x 12 bunks and trunk liner carpet black. Have not had it in the water yet but looks good. I have never had a probklem Lagging bunks on. I replace them every 3 years or so though. I use thompsons water seal on non pressure treated wood. PT 4x12s would have killed me.

Devilman
06-07-2006, 04:29 AM
I did mine a couple of months ago. Used pressure treated wood, marine grade carpeting and stainless hardware. It took me 4 hours. I had some issues getting the old bunks off (had to saw some bolts off). I through bolted the bunks on, which takes more time since the holes needed to be match drilled, recessed and bolted prior to attaching the carpet. I double layered the carpet, then stapled it with rustproof monel staples. So far, so good.
Ditto on the through bolting... Carriage bolts worked great. :cool: