PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Electric Fuel Pump for 460

stashtrey
06-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm having difficulty finding a mechanical replacement for my 460 fuel pump.
Should I just go with an electric pump?
I have an enclosed engine compartment. Does that require a special 'marine' pump? I know it does with a mechanical pump..... but not sure about an electric fuel pump.
I looked around on summit and they have a ton of different kinds. The Holley 'red' pump seemed to be a good deal and the pressure fit's my need.
I guess I'm just wondering if I need to worry about the enclosed engine compartment as well as where I would mount the thing. Could I put it right next to my fuel filter on the center of the transom? OR.... should I mount it to the side of one of my stringers?

stashtrey
06-05-2006, 11:00 AM
I just figured out that Holley does offer a marine style electric fuel pump with the fuel vent.
So... my only question is:
Can I mount this on the stringer below the spot where my original mechanical pump is right now?
Also... do I simply run a ground wire and then the positive/red wire to my ignition terminal on my wiring block?
I'd prefer to just put that pump close to the original as I just replaced all my fuel lines..... would be easy to just swap it out.

IMPATIENT 1
06-05-2006, 12:54 PM
stash, i run the holley blue pump with regulator on my bbf,keeps the carb full and nitrous fuel pressure safety switch has yet to switch off from low pressure. just ground to block and voltage to igntion positive.

stashtrey
06-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks, IMPATIENT.
Would it be okay to mount close to my old mechanical pump? I could put it on my stringer? Does it matter how long the fuel line from my tanks/filter is?

IMPATIENT 1
06-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks, IMPATIENT.
Would it be okay to mount close to my old mechanical pump? I could put it on my stringer? Does it matter how long the fuel line from my tanks/filter is?
doesn't matter where you put it bro. i like runnin the fuel pressure regulator close to the carb as possible,fuel pumps by the tank or wherever you need it to be.just remember, the longer the inlet hose is to the pump,the harder it is to get primed up after runnin outta gas.

stashtrey
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Man!
I just searched through a bunch of threads on here about electric fuel pumps.
I don't think my setup is going to work for the electric pump. My tank outlets are on the top.... fuel filter is on the top.... the Holley pump is apparently not a good 'puller'.
I just found a Holley mechanical unit brand new on ebay for $59. I bought that. Will return the Holley electric pump.
I'd rather just swap them out and not have to do any more wiring.... I already have enough issues.
Thanks for the help, IMPATIENT.

bakerjet
06-05-2006, 02:16 PM
good idea.

jbone
06-05-2006, 04:32 PM
I use the Mallory 140 (Marine version) and it pulls from the top of the tank great. It comes with an easily adjustable regulator.
I've had no fuel pressure issues since switching to this pump.
J

smokkin
06-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I use a mechanical pump I purchased from Clay Smith Cams. My engine made 600+ hp on the dyno. It's the same type of pump used on Nextel cup cars. You will have to run a regulator with it though.