PDA

View Full Version : Stringers

holorinhal
06-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Ok;I have been looking over my stringers,trying to decide whether to replace or not.
The wood itself has no rot to it,but there is not much fiber glass to wood bond left.Is this ok or does this mean they will be weaker without the bond?..Thanks Hal

boater012
06-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Go to your loacl marine supply store or order online some WEST SYSTEMS EPOXY. drill several small holes in the glass and nject a 50/50 mixture of epoxy and acetone down into your gaps and let it harden. the stuff is amazing and will rebond the stringers to the glass. I have succesfully done this before for customers not wanting to replace but wanting the added strenthg of the good bond. Need any other help feel free to pm me!

Jet Hydro
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
if it looks as if the bond is gone then most likely it is. They will not be near as strong as they would if they were bonded to the floor. In other words, if you have to ask "replace em!" You`ll be glad you did in the long run.
I have found that they use green wood and when it dries out it shrinks back leaving a gap between the glass and the wood.