PDA

View Full Version : Cleared to land, maybe!!??

JB in so cal
06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.miami.com/images/miami/miamiherald/14743/217360293984.jpg
For the next three years, Opa-locka Airport's control tower will be a trailer perched atop cargo containers welded together. Controllers must climb a ladder to get inside. And the tower is only 33 feet off the ground, meaning controllers can't see the entire airfield.
''I guess you can call it a piece of modern art,'' said Charles Danger, Miami-Dade County's top building official. ``This is not a structure that meets any code whatsoever.''
Some pilots wonder how controllers can guide planes safely given their diminished views. ''They can't see where you taxi out,'' said pilot Rene Martin.
The tower dispute is another black mark on the struggling airfield, less than a year before what will be one of its busiest times -- when corporate jets descend on South Florida for Super Bowl XLI in February.
The Federal Aviation Administration moved into the temporary, specially designed control trailer in early May because the old 141-foot-tall tower is falling apart. Though controllers had complained about conditions in the old tower for years, wrangling over money between the county's Aviation Department and the FAA has stalled construction of a new $11 million facility.

riverracerXXX
06-05-2006, 02:08 PM
:jawdrop: This is Maverick, requesting permision to buzz the tower.

Sleek-Jet
06-05-2006, 02:12 PM
So, where did you get this bit 'o info???

Cheap Thrills
06-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I wonder what they did with the pontoons off that houseboat ?
C.T. :wink:

JB in so cal
06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
So, where did you get this bit 'o info???
miamiherald.com

JB in so cal
06-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I wonder what they did with the pontoons off that houseboat ?
looks more like an old toyhauler/weekend warrior.

Cheap Thrills
06-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah it does look like an old 5th wheel rig , I was trying to make it boat related :D

1stepcloser
06-05-2006, 03:00 PM
:jawdrop: This is Maverick, requesting permision to buzz the tower.
Thats a negative Maverick, the pattern is full.

Hallett19
06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
My girlfriend is a flight attendant on a G4 out of Burbank and occasionally flys into that FBO when flying to Miami, I forwarded it to her and the pilots of her plane, they should like this....

PHX ATC
06-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I've actually worked in a trailer tower like the one ziptied to the top of the 2 storage containers. It was at the Copperstate EAA Fly-In down at Phoenix Regional Airport (near Maricopa, AZ).
Those things are fun, although, you can't see shit.
We just got word our new tower won't open in November, but now after the 1st of the year. Imagine that!
:crossx: