PDA

View Full Version : Where does a 70mph + boat, do a high speed pass on memorial day weekend?

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
This question is for those who have actually had there boat over 70+ mph on Memorial Day weekend.
How fast? and where?
Yes this is a loaded question!!!!

THREADED INC.
06-05-2006, 02:33 PM
This question is for those who have actually had there boat over 70+ mph on Memorial Day weekend.
How fast? and where?
Every were you just have to keep your eyes open

SUPERDUTYRHINO
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
5:30 in the morning, on the river between Havasu and Topock.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
We did, in Parker, at around dusk when everyone was off the water and the water flattened out. :rollside:
This proves what?? I don't mean that sarcastic, just curious as to the point you are trying to make??
:rollside:

riverliver
06-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Only when the conditions are safe and prudent.

uvindex
06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
You can do it on the ocean any day of the year. (And what's so special about 70mph? Is it OK to do 65mph but not 70mph in your scenario? :))

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
We did, in Parker, at around dusk when everyone was off the water and the water flattened out. :rollside:
This proves what?? I don't mean that sarcastic, just curious as to the point you are trying to make??
:rollside:
My point exactly.
There is a proper place and time and an improper place and time.
Just because the boat can do it, does not make it safe.

havaduner
06-05-2006, 02:41 PM
TM, I just answered this question in the other thread. On havasu, Memorial weekend is too crowded to be going fast. yeah, you can find a time and place to do it, but why not wait a week or so, when the lake isnt inundated with every rented floating piece of equipment in the southwest.

No Name
06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Boat, high speed pass, 70mph. :confused:
:D :D

lucky
06-05-2006, 02:46 PM
101 north bound - but i had to put my beerdown while the coper past :cool:

Liberator TJ1984
06-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Probably around high 90s+ pass just to get the Cobwebs and Mud daubbers out of the exhausts :crossx:
but ....only in a secluded part of the local Lake back up in a calm cove and very, very few other peeps around in the water......me and 2 others out cruzing around :cool:

Nord
06-05-2006, 02:54 PM
All day in Parker by upper Damn and a couple by Roadrunner..........

riverbound
06-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I did quite a few memorial day weekend. all of them were either right at dawn or raight at dusk. when there was little to no boat traffic around. other than that I kept it at 68.5 just to be safe ;)

Biglue
06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I did quite a few memorial day weekend. all of them were either right at dawn or raight at dusk. when there was little to no boat traffic around. other than that I kept it at 68.5 just to be safe ;)
What did you do? Go and buy a Merc? :crossx: :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-05-2006, 03:04 PM
What did you do? Go and buy a Merc? :crossx: :D
No, he was in our boat.....LOL!!! Juts kidding Bill! Your boat is fast and it runs all the time. :D FIL! :p

ratso
06-05-2006, 03:05 PM
...not to burst any bubbles, but 70 isn't considered high speed lol... :D

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Saturday afternoon, preferably around 2pm w/ as many people on the water as possible from the dam to the no wake zone....... Got keep my driving skills sharp.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I never said we only did 70mph. :D

Tom Brown
06-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Katepwa Lake ...... as fast as you want.... whenever you want. :cool:
Boat traffic... lol!

schlepy
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
through the channel holding a cocktail, getting a BJ and yelling im rick james biatch.....

No Name
06-05-2006, 03:11 PM
You just burst my bubble. :cry: :cry: Dam it. :mad:

Wake Havasu
06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Where does a 70mph + boat, do a high speed pass on memorial day weekend?
Parker No Wake zone. First be sure lost of kids on rafts are floating.
Now we know why we read daily of accidents.

THREADED INC.
06-05-2006, 03:28 PM
through the channel holding a cocktail, getting a BJ and yelling im rick james biatch.....
Let me know when you try this one i need to bring my camera
That will be the event of the century

That Guy
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
LMAO.... :crossx:

THREADED INC.
06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
LMAO.... :crossx:
Thats funny or he can go through the sandbar its closed so he can go 70 over it Keep your trim up

Fast Freddy
06-05-2006, 03:32 PM
How fast? and where?
somebody once asked me "why do you own a 200 hp turbocharged motorcyle that goes 150+ mph; and just where in the hell can you go that fast anyway" you know what i said to them................any side street
as far as your boat is concerned have you tried the no wake zone? i turned the bouy line in front of burnt corral at apache lake into a slalom course one time.........

ratso
06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Oh damn, my side is killing me just picturing that... :D

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Saturday afternoon, preferably around 2pm w/ as many people on the water as possible from the dam to the no wake zone....... Got keep my driving skills sharp.
Some actually think this is acceptible.
In the 1980's small aircraft mfg's were getting sued at such a high rate, that they stopped making small aircraft (piper, Cessna, etc...). Although this is apples to oranges, this can happen to the ***boat industry.
We have not heard what happened last weekend with the 14 people injuries, but I will guess to say, not only are both drivers in deep liability trouble, but both MFG's will have there hands full of accident lawyers and insurance companies. How much HP is safe for the general public? Your Insurance agent will let you know next year.
Translated, your insurance may seem high right now, but wait until your next premium is do. I don't like to be negative, but thing's are getting way out of hand, and the more ***boaters involved will only mean higher insurance rates (double or triple what your paying now).

riverbound
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Thats Why I am glad I own a "fishing/runabout" With only 300 hp :D

THREADED INC.
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
In the 1980's small aircraft mfg's were getting sued at such a high rate, that they stopped making small aircraft (piper, Cessna, etc...). Although this is apples to oranges, this can happen to the ***boat industry.
We have not heard what happened last weekend with the 14 people injuries, but I will guess to say, not only are both drivers in deep liability trouble, but both MFG's will have there hands full of accident lawyers and insurance companies. How much HP is safe for the general public? Your Insurance agent will let you know next year.
Translated, your insurance may seem high right now, but wait until your next premium is do. I don't like to be negative, but thing's are getting way out of hand, and the more ***boaters involved will only mean higher insurance rates (double or triple what your paying now).
So your saying go throught the channel at 70 because his rate will go up anyway

reb939
06-05-2006, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=ThongMagnet]This question is for those who have actually had there boat over 70+ mph on Memorial Day weekend.
On your warm up lap!

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Boat traffic... lol!
You might not have boat traffic, but the mesquitos got to hurt as they splat across your forehead :)

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Thats Why I am glad I own a "fishing/runabout" With only 300 hp :D
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

riverbound
06-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
FUN....I actually do own it once again ;)

reb939
06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Alcohol kills more people on the water than big horse power. People do stupid things when they're drunk, that's what's causing most of these accidents.

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Alcohol kills more people on the water than big horse power. People do stupid things when they're drunk, that's what's causing most of these accidents.
The problem is many of them are in ***boats.

Havasu Hangin'
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I just put the hammer down across the roughest part of the lake.
If I see a potatochip boat in trouble...I may slow down to 70MPH.
:D

reb939
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
The problem is many of them are in ***boats.
I understand and respect your point. But they drive ski boats, fishing boats (lot's of drinking goin on there) Pontoon boats (these guys are going to cause the next beer shortage, prices will be going up) and Bayliners. I understand that the death on Pyramid was in a runabout boat, achohol related. The deaths at the breakwater was due to mechanical faliures not HP.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Hot boat or not. If they are stupid enough to do 70 plus on the water on a busy weekend ( hoiliday) then someone is going to get hurt. wether it be someone cutting someone off, passing too close , drinking, or just being stupid. Someone is going to pay the price and it is probably the boat with all the kids in trying to be safe and an ass that thinks he is the best driver on the lake saying it's not me it's everyone else. insurance will go up wether you have the accident or not. It's the other guy speeding and crashing raising the insurances.
Be smart people. If it's too crouded be careful and watch for others, have some boating courtosy( sp ck) we don't need boat rage like we have road rage.keep it safe. run it when you know it is slower on the water. :)

shueman
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Actually not wearing a life jacket kills more. You don't have to be a drunk to be stupid on the water, just ask any PWC rental rider.
Being a responsible operator of a watercraft is just not stressed enough today. It's just too easy to get your hands on a 60mph-70mph water rocket without any real training.
Pretty scary, if you think about it.

Tom Brown
06-05-2006, 04:17 PM
You might not have boat traffic, but the mesquitos got to hurt as they splat across your forehead :)
Indeed. Actually, they feel like needles jabbing into your face at speed up around 100.
Have you been here?

reb939
06-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Actually not wearing a life jacket kills more. You don't have to be a drunk to be stupid on the water, just ask any PWC rental rider.
Being a responsible operator of a watercraft is just not stressed enough today. It's just too easy to get your hands on a 60mph-70mph water rocket without any real training.
Pretty scary, if you think about it.
Every stat I read states acohol is responsible for more boating accidents / fatalities than any other cause. Where's Boatcop to back me up on this one?

shueman
06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Every stat I read states acohol is responsible for more boating accidents / fatalities than any other cause. Where's Boatcop to back me up on this one?
The majority of accidents are operator error, inexperience, and EXCESSIVE SPEED.....might want to read this: Coast Guard Stats (http://www.alcoholstats.com/mm/docs/2028.ppt#259,1,U.S. Coast Guard Boating Statistics)

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-05-2006, 04:32 PM
The majority of accidents are operator error, inexperience, and EXCESSIVE SPEED.....might want to read this: Coast Guard Stats (http://www.alcoholstats.com/mm/docs/2028.ppt#259,1,U.S. Coast Guard Boating Statistics)

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I understand and respect your point. But they drive ski boats, fishing boats (lot's of drinking goin on there) Pontoon boats (these guys are going to cause the next beer shortage, prices will be going up) and Bayliners. I understand that the death on Pyramid was in a runabout boat, achohol related. The deaths at the breakwater was due to mechanical faliures not HP.
We know not all of the accidents are ***boat related, but if you have spent anytime on the big weekends at the lake, the boats going the fastest (over 70mph) are ***boats. (except for that one fishing boat who thinks he's a hot boat)
Drinking is another issue. but not always related to high speeds.
When I see a ***boat traveling 70 + MPH, and see no one wearing a life vest, I see that as reckless operation of a boat. No one is safe. Break a stringer, hit a floating log, roll your boat, etc... at that speed, and lets just say you better be lucky and a good swimmer.
As an operator and owner, if you fail to insure the proper safety of your passengers, your opening up your self to huge liabilities. We may not be guilty, but we can be liable.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
We know not all of the accidents are ***boat related, but if you have spent anytime on the big weekends at the lake, the boats going the fastest (over 70mph) are ***boats. (except for that one fishing boat who thinks he's a hot boat)
When I see a ***boat traveling 70 + MPH, and see no one wearing a life vest, I see that as reckless operation of a boat. No one is safe. Break a stringer, hit a floating log, roll your boat, etc... at that speed, and lets just say you better be lucky and a good swimmer.
As an operator and owner, if you fail to insure the proper safety of your passengers, your opening up your self to huge liabilities. We may not be guilty, but we can be liable.
well said. :)

77charger
06-05-2006, 04:44 PM
My lake boat cant even break 60 so i am safe.

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Indeed. Actually, they feel like needles jabbing into your face at speed up around 100.
Have you been here?
I Vacationed all my life in July at a place called West Lake Okoboji, in the midwest.
Proper boat speed is somewhere between getting eaten alive, and being attack.
Where suntan lotion is secondary to mesquito repellent.

shueman
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm an "old fart " for sure, but I enjoy a nice cold beer on a hot day at the lake like the rest of us.
I just don't understood why someone has to drink heavily to enjoy boating. Just being out on the water is a "high" for me in itself... :cool:
It's my opinion that these people are drinkers first, boaters second. Take away the boat/party and they'll find another place to catch their buzz. If they drink and drive their boat, their apt to drink and drive their car, motorcycle, sand-rail, etc.
We enjoy our time at the lake and "boat where they ain't". Why take that risk...?? :220v:

shueman
06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
On the money TM.... :wink:

Brian
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Common sense = good weekend.
:cool:

Brian
06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
...blah blah blah...as far as your boat is concerned have you tried the no wake zone? i turned the bouy line in front of burnt corral at apache lake into a slalom course one time.........
From most I would have thought this to be a joke... From you well I'm not so sure. Was that while you were smoking a Cig while chine walking your Nodick and tossing your wife out of the boat?
ps: Glad you weren't doing the slalom at BC this weekend while I was there!

Brian
06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I just put the hammer down across the roughest part of the lake.
If I see a potatochip boat in trouble...I may slow down to 70MPH.
Hey Biatch, you told me your boat wouldn't do 70!

Mardonzi
06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
And here I was thinking the correct answer was flying by Panic Button while he was limping home on on engine on Lake Powell, with the wife flashing him...
Guess I got that one wrong...

OCMerrill
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I am reading all this thinking 70 mph was hot boat status.
Guess not. :cry:
I can get 72 on gps and it feels fun for a 21 foot boat. I can do this all weekend long on 50 gal of gas though.
I used to have a 19' flatt 1967 hull that went 106mph on radar (remember those?). In that boat 70 mph was enough and I cound not find many that would help me blow the motor :boxed:

Kilrtoy
06-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Thru the channel beer bonging and driving with my feet on the wheel while chicks dance on the deck

shueman
06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
... Sure enough, I spot two floaters in the water DIRECTLY in front of me, probably no more than 50 yards ahead. No lifejackets, no rafts, no orange flag, no NOTHING. Just two heads bobbing barely out of the water and a guy waving his arm. I back way off turn to the right, cruise around them and stop long enough for the pontoon boat to make it's way over.....
I think that's the time you give them a harsh reality warning about what they are doing and what could have happened to them..... :mad:

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 06:25 PM
I just couldn't do it. I had my (young) children with me and it was going to end badly. Tact is not my strong suit and I had a slide anchor handy. ;)
Hummm, Kids (young) in boat, ok...lifejackets properly on tight, high speed pass, up ahead I see the guy waving the red flag, oh look a guy in the water waving his hands,
did you see the big log he was holding on too???
Maybe he just saved your familys life. Your right, there is no such thing as a safe high speed pass.

INSman
06-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Thru the channel beer bonging and driving with my feet on the wheel while chicks dance on the deck
Nice call Kilr, I like it :rollside:

Brian
06-05-2006, 06:40 PM
SWB, good story, perfect example of sh!t happens, and fast. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad it turned out well. I have certainly been blessed by some good fortune thus far on the water even when my judgement wasn't the best. Hopefully we all learn and be just a little safer next time out.
:cool:

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Your boat is so small, you'd have to really be trying to hit someone. :D :D
LOL!!!!! And you barely get your's on plane from the Sandbar to Big Bend! :) :) :)

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 06:51 PM
3. The two people were not holding onto a log, tree branch, raft, life preserver, seat cushion or any like object. They were floating down the river, with their heads barely out of the water. The nearest boat to them was about 50 yards away and, as far as I can tell, wasn't the boat they were swimming off of.
Hummm maybe there boat sank and the others were just trying to help. If I saw 2 heads floating down the river without life jackets I'd find out if they needed help. Maybe toss your throw device, let them know you almost didn't see them. Second, 70 mph with your kids is way too fast. I'm sure you were looking back to see if they were ok at 70 mph.
7 years old....Yeah...was the wife with you too???
This was a loaded question from the beginning, so my point was???

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Hummm, Kids (young) in boat, ok...lifejackets properly on tight, high speed pass, up ahead I see the guy waving the red flag, oh look a guy in the water waving his hands,
did you see the big log he was holding on too???
Maybe he just saved your familys life. Your right, there is no such thing as a safe high speed pass.
Stop being a condescending moron..... You could "what if" this topic till your head turns blue. Maybe you should go preach elsewhere like here:
http://www.christianforums.com/

Riverkid
06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
The man said 70, not 62, RiverDennis... :rollside:

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 06:58 PM
The man said 70, not 62, RiverDennis... :rollside:
Look who chimed in.

slink
06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
SWB, were those 2 guys part of the floatilla last weekend and the pontoons were the rear safety boats? Just curious. On the floatilla weekend I always stay up river for just that reason. Usually have all kinds of straglers floating in the water with nothing more than a beer coozie as a floatation device.

Brian
06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
...Second, 70 mph with your kids is way too fast. I'm sure you were looking back to see if they were ok at 70 mph.
Good question. What is your point?
:notam:

Riverkid
06-05-2006, 07:00 PM
The speed limit on Big Bear Lake was 35 all Memorial weekend... :)
Pretty sure we were in compliance there bucko!

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 07:02 PM
The speed limit on Big Bear Lake was 35 all Memorial weekend... :)
Pretty sure we were in compliance there bucko!
I heard the temperature was about the same. You get a tan? :p :p :p

THREADED INC.
06-05-2006, 07:03 PM
with there bever showing

ratso
06-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Stop being a condescending moron..... You could "what if" this topic till your head turns blue. Maybe you should go preach elsewhere like here:
http://www.christianforums.com/
I just checked that site out. Doubt that I'd last long over there... :idea: :D

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
I just checked that site out. Doubt that I'd last long over there... :idea: :D
Especially with the celebration you said you had planned for tomorrow. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Riverkid
06-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I heard the temperature was about the same. You get a tan? :p :p :p
Nah, but what with all the womenfolk filling up the porta potti on the new deck boat (grandpa's), my feet got pretty numb hanging between the boats...
Made up for it this past weekend. Pulled a hippo deal. In the pool at least six hours every day... :) Fully thawed!

ThongMagnet
06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
My point... Bob I really don't think your boat is that fast, and I dought if you really have kids.

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Nah, but what with all the womenfolk filling up the porta potti on the new deck boat (grandpa's), my feet got pretty numb hanging between the boats...
Made up for it this past weekend. Pulled a hippo deal. In the pool at least six hours every day... :) Fully thawed!
We were in Parker (114 degrees, open a beer and pound it before it got warm). Don't worry, one of these days you'll make it out there.
BTW, Stan L. says Hi.

bordsmnj
06-05-2006, 07:16 PM
3. The two people were not holding onto a log, tree branch, raft, life preserver, seat cushion or any like object. They were floating down the river, with their heads barely out of the water. The nearest boat to them was about 50 yards away and, as far as I can tell, wasn't the boat they were swimming off of.
Hummm maybe there boat sank and the others were just trying to help. If I saw 2 heads floating down the river without life jackets I'd find out if they needed help. Maybe toss your throw device, let them know you almost didn't see them. Second, 70 mph with your kids is way too fast. I'm sure you were looking back to see if they were ok at 70 mph.
YOU should not do 70. ever. pleas exit the "***boat" forum and proceed to baylinerville.

Riverkid
06-05-2006, 07:22 PM
We were in Parker (114 degrees, open a beer and pound it before it got warm). Don't worry, one of these days you'll make it out there.
BTW, Stan L. says Hi.
Haven't seen Stan since forever. It was aroubnd 105ish here all weekend... You know how we do it. One more weekend like that and I'm going to need your Skye deposit back... :cry:
The guys on the Advantage deck next to us were pulling in pounder or so trout all day. I will say that is something of a shock to see, while your sitting on the deck of a Schiada... Only took about 95 mins to get it back home in the garage though on Monday...

Kim Hanson
06-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Boat traffic... lol!
Lets do this get together there than, BlackStrap I heard is a puddle ?...........( . )( . ).....of shit !
:idea:

h2oski2fast
06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Haven't seen Stan since forever. It was aroubnd 105ish here all weekend... You know how we do it. One more weekend like that and I'm going to need your Skye deposit back... :cry:
The guys on the Advantage deck next to us were pulling in pounder or so trout all day. I will say that is something of a shock to see, while your sitting on the deck of a Schiada... Only took about 95 mins to get it back home in the garage though on Monday...
Well, it'll be a couple of bottles short. :messedup: :messedup: :messedup:

Fast Freddy
06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
From most I would have thought this to be a joke... From you well I'm not so sure. Was that while you were smoking a Cig while chine walking your Nodick and tossing your wife out of the boat?
ps: Glad you weren't doing the slalom at BC this weekend while I was there!
actually this was done in my kachina jet boat with the jetovater up. sorry you missed it

riverbound
06-05-2006, 09:10 PM
My point... Bob I really don't think your boat is that fast, and I dought if you really have kids.
Of course he doesnt....he pays those kids and that lady to hang out with him and he just tells people they are his Family.:D

77charger
06-05-2006, 09:25 PM
I think that's the time you give them a harsh reality warning about what they are doing and what could have happened to them..... :mad:
you could do that but you as a boat driver are required by law to slow down to no wake within 50 ft of a swimmer no matter what.