PDA

View Full Version : Doh!! found a shallow ...

AirtimeLavey
06-05-2006, 06:33 PM
part of the river mouth, north of Havi. Headed to the channel on Sat., leaving the sandbar right before the terrible accident mid-afternoon, and I was way ahead of our other boat, so I decide to turn around at the mouth. Friggen ran it right into the shallow sand :hammerhea
Thought I was clear of it, but knew exactly what was up when I got real slow and heavy on the controls. I shut it down quick, and trimmed up the rest of the way. Thought I would be f--ed, but was able to push it out. Was afraid to restart, but did after checking to see that everything was still straight. Fortunately, everything ran fine the rest of the day. Just took off some paint on the skeg. Prop was fine.
Thanks to the Magic deck (I think it was a Magic) that stopped and offered help. Very cool, but we were focused on the push, and got it out pretty quickly. Lucky. :hammerhea :mix:

CBadDad
06-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Dude, I've beached it there before myself.
The way I figure it, is that if there's no damage there is no foul unless you run aground there again. Then you're a dumb$#!t...
BTW, I did mine on a weekday and had to wait for an hour before someone else ran aground there and we could help each other unstick ourselves. :rollside:
What are you gonna do?

AirtimeLavey
06-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Dude, I've beached it there before myself.
The way I figure it, is that if there's no damage there is no foul unless you run aground there again. Then you're a dumb$#!t...
BTW, I did mine on a weekday and had to wait for an hour before someone else ran aground there and we could help each other unstick ourselves. :rollside:
What are you gonna do?
Lmao...yeah, if I do it again, I'm not posting about it. I felt dumb enough as it was. At least we got out quick.

AirtimeLavey
06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
How much of a dumbass do you have to be to run aground where somebody is already run aground? :D :D
Lol...I was thinking that, too. Guy probably didn't realize CBD was stuck, and motored on in. Glad it's soft sand there. Coulda been much worse. :2purples:

CBadDad
06-05-2006, 06:56 PM
How much of a dumbass do you have to be to run aground where somebody is already run aground? :D :D
You know that's funny you say that because all of the time I was hevaing and hoeing everyone else would come slow down and go around. Once we jumped im the boat it didn'e take long for someone to join the party! :)

Biglue
06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I aways have a hard time remembering the safe zone to the right of the reeves as I head north into the river. I always go the left side of them, trim way up and stay on plane. Never had a problem there. After getting through those couple hundred yards I always look back and hopefully there isnt any murky water. Til this day, I have yet to see any too. (Knock on wood). :D

JB in so cal
06-05-2006, 07:19 PM
FYI. If you have a merc HO, your raw water pump may need to be replaced as it scores(sp) and it's made of brass; heavy $$. Sand in the system sucks...

AirtimeLavey
06-05-2006, 07:24 PM
FYI. If you have a merc HO, your raw water pump may need to be replaced as it scores(sp) and it's made of brass; heavy $$. Sand in the system sucks...
502 mag. Brand spanking new impeller. Sand def. had me worried. Ran fine the rest of the day, and ran it hard a few times. So far, so good. Thanks for the fyi. I always carry a spare, too. Don't ever want to have to change it on the water, though. I'm thinking that would suck.

vmjtc3
06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Don't ever want to have to change it on the water, though. I'm thinking that would suck.[/QUOTE]
I am thinking the boat would fill with water if you tried to change the pump on the water?

phebus
06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
I've been told you can do it, and if you look, the inlet hose to the pump, isn't much lower then the crankshaft. The crank, would line up with the center of the gimbal, which is above the waterline by a ways.
Sooooo, I guess it can be done, but I sure would be scared to pull that hose off :rollside:

voodoomedman
06-05-2006, 08:49 PM
502 mag. Brand spanking new impeller. Sand def. had me worried. Ran fine the rest of the day, and ran it hard a few times. So far, so good. Thanks for the fyi. I always carry a spare, too. Don't ever want to have to change it on the water, though. I'm thinking that would suck.
Just keep an eye on your temp guage and if it's fine your probably okay. Don't ask me how I know. When I had my service done then Absolute told me everything looked fine. I actually think that branches and other crap in the water would do more damage than fine sand.
And I think you can change the impeller on the water. You hear stories all the time of Aaron from Absolute going down to the channel and doing it to customers boats so they don't have to pull it out.

vmjtc3
06-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I've been told you can do it, and if you look, the inlet hose to the pump, isn't much lower then the crankshaft. The crank, would line up with the center of the gimbal, which is above the waterline by a ways.
Sooooo, I guess it can be done, but I sure would be scared to pull that hose off :rollside:
I might try it as a last resort but I sure would not want to. :220v:

Daytona100
06-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Just put one of the free trash bags over the inlet holes on the drive. When you take off the hose hold it up and tie it to something. Change the impeller check the houseing fish out any old pieces and when you get off the water backflush the system to get the rest of the impeller out of the oil cooler. :)

carreraelite
06-05-2006, 08:59 PM
I might try it as a last resort but I sure would not want to. :220v:
Especially when you have to remove the back seat to get to yours.....

vmjtc3
06-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Especially when you have to remove the back seat to get to yours.....
Good point. although I found out the hard way you can just tip it forward untill it hits the bolsters in the front. :mad:
Blew an oil line and tryed to fix it to get back in to the marina and the seat came foreard as I tried to get in to the engine compartment :cry:

AirtimeLavey
06-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Just keep an eye on your temp guage and if it's fine your probably okay. Don't ask me how I know. When I had my service done then Absolute told me everything looked fine. I actually think that branches and other crap in the water would do more damage than fine sand.
And I think you can change the impeller on the water. You hear stories all the time of Aaron from Absolute going down to the channel and doing it to customers boats so they don't have to pull it out.
Glad to hear it. I was thinking the same and was watching the temp., and ready to shut her down quick, but she drove fine the rest of the day.
How'd you come to find this out? :idea: Oh wait, you said don't ask. Never mind. ;) :D

Magic34
06-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Don't ever want to have to change it on the water, though. I'm thinking that would suck.
I am thinking the boat would fill with water if you tried to change the pump on the water?[/QUOTE]
I had to change one in my 29 a few years back on the water. No issues.

pixrthis
06-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Sand bars usually clean up props real nice, kind of gives them a labbed look.