PDA

View Full Version : starter wakeboard

gochappy
06-06-2006, 05:30 AM
my kids are going to try wakeboarding..ages 7 to 12. Whats a good board to start with? Thanks, Don

lakewake
06-06-2006, 06:59 AM
I started my little guy on a Hyperlite 52" board with older Techno Grip boots. He soon transitioned to my O'Brien 56" board because of the easy in and out of the new boots with the draw tight string. You might check out Play It Again sporting goods store for a great deal on used. This time of the season they may not have much. You may need two boards depending on their sizes. To adjust the boots to the board have them stand facing you,arms at the sides,feet the same distance apart as the shoulders. Jump up and land naturally. Set the board down in front of them and center. Place the boots on the board in the same width and foot position as their feet. Attach the boots in this position. Depending on the diferrence in their sizes you will have to make this change in adjustment each time they take turns behind the boat.After a while making this change will get old and you'll need a second board. Hope this helps.

NautiTwins
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
my kids are going to try wakeboarding..ages 7 to 12. Whats a good board to start with? Thanks, Don
Like Lakewake said try Play it again sports. I would hesitate in buying anything new, because you do not know if they are going to take to it. Most shops will also have some demo boards that you can take out for the weekend and find the right board for each of your children. This is how I buy all my gear. We got lucky and find a shop at the marina of a lake and I got to try just about every board they had. I would take two at a time make three or four runs on them and turn them back in for another set.

lakewake
06-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Sports Chalet has a good rental program if they are in your area.We figured out what we like by boating with groups when we started years ago. Great way to get the lay of the land and lakes.Best lauch sites,cheapest hotels,gas and food spots as well as swapping gear befor purchasing. We had been very fortunate to hook up with a great group of people.

gochappy
06-06-2006, 05:25 PM
well unfortunately we don't have those second hand sporting goods stores around here. I will probably have to buy new online.....luckily the two kids are about the same size, so at least that detail won't be a problem. Thanks, Don.

Flying Tiger
06-06-2006, 06:17 PM
We're a dedicated wakeboarding family.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_June_04_041-med.jpg
Daughter near Havasu's Take Off Point. The best wakeboarding spot on earth in her humble opinion.
I bought the kids a Hyperlite that was relatively flat, not too heavy,, a beginer board in my book,, but wakeboard makers don't like the term beginer or starter.
F' them.
My kids have graduated since to wakeboards you'd take to a sword fight,,, slippery and very difficult to use, razor sharp fins and edges, radical curves and shape., but awsum once you master them.
But,, a BFD is they still love the beginner board, and ride it far more than the advanced or pro boards we own.
Wakeboard shops will sell you dead stock telling you: "Yeah,, this is what you need".
So beware of wakeboard shops, all BS.
Don't buy the no name Big 5/Wall Mart/K mart cheapie boards.
Buy name brand.
Get on the Hyperlite site, and even if you have to e mail them,, ask what they recomend for kids just learning to wakeboard. Give them the heights and weights,, and then pick an overall suitable board.
Ya don't need to buy a bunch of boards,, just one quality one.
The kids will get up right away,, and they will be good that very day,, and will be in love with wakeboarding.
The "starter" Hyperlite board is the best wakeboarding money I ever spent.
No one outside of the ski schools has hauled kids up and down the river more than the TPC. I've seen the cheapie board explode on the first pull,, and a broken hearted kid (s).
Like bed matresse companies, wakeboard companies change the name of their products every year. So contact them, and ask what to buy,, it's a good investment, spring for a good protective carring case too.
I'm using our Hyperlite beginner on my second family. They are perfected, and a good investment even if you have to dip into the savings to buy quality.

Riomouse911
06-07-2006, 12:54 AM
My buddy works for Hyperlite, and he hooked the family up with a few boards over the years. They are a quality manufacturer, and make a wide variety of boards. I am not versed on their latest offerings, but their website is good for info. The last board I got for a beginner "sight unseen" was a Liquid Force Trip 133. The rider loves the board! The trip models have 3 fins at each end, are wide and forgiving, and will allow the rider to progress to doing tricks the pro's do without having to change boards or upgrade.
The hard part is the bindings, they have to be comfortable and fit the rider. Ill fitting boots are not only uncomfortable, but a knee injury hazard as well. The shoe sizes for the two might be incompatible, but if not, you'll be OK with one set until one kid's foot is bigger than the other. They are easily swapped from boot to boot if you need two different sizes on one board, but it is a hassle...