PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here Jet Hot an Intake Manifold?

cave
06-06-2006, 05:53 AM
Next week I'm installing a new cam. While the intake is off I was wanting to pretty it up a bit. Jet Hot looks good from Tyros (460) headers. Its an aluminum Edelbrock Performer. Does Jet Hot work on aluminum? Would I have to do any special prepping to to the manifold where it mates to the block or do they just coat the top?

Youngblood
06-06-2006, 06:21 AM
yes you can jet hot your intake. jet hot can do the top and bottom or just the top, whatever you're willing to pay for. here is a picture of the bottom of mine that shows what jet hot calls a thermal barrier coating, sorry I don't have a pic of the top but it'll look pretty much like the header coating.
http://www.tncperformance.com/jeff/intake2.jpg
http://www.tncperformance.com/jeff/intake.jpg

cave
06-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Youngblood did you have to prep it your self or did they prep it? this thermal barrier coating, What does it prevent and does it flake off in time?

TRG
06-06-2006, 06:36 AM
I had my intake done as well, but permastar definitly looks like chrome, if that is the look you are going for, otherwise the jethot looks like a polished intake!
Todd

9er
06-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Not the best picture but this manifold along with the exhaust was done 5 years ago. The manifold was the rough finished Edlebrock so it looks like polished textured aluminum. All I do is wipe it down now.
We did the thermal barrier too. It keeps the heat from your motor away from your carb and fuel, for a while.
They do all the prep in some sort of chemical dip to ensure adhesion.
I've never seen this stuff come off, ever. I even weld on it.
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC02273.JPG

Youngblood
06-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Youngblood did you have to prep it your self or did they prep it? this thermal barrier coating, What does it prevent and does it flake off in time?
I hit the top side with some sanding rolls to smooth it out some. Jet hot will bead blast or whatever to make sure the coating sticks. The thermal stuff is to prevent heat transfer from oil splash and such into the bottom of the intake. Basically trying to keep the intake cooler. I don't know if it'll flake as I've not used the intake yet.

Taylorman
06-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Mine is being done as we speak, will be done tomorrow.

460 jus getn it
06-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Jimmy, I have my intake done............Same as the headers, i havent had a problem yet.......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I Just did mine and it came out bitchin!!! I say get it done jimmy;) You will be happy

kcsteck
06-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Mike how much $ to do a intake and where is the place that does it.what coating did you get,polished or chrome look or other.Got pics?Im gettin Victor from Taylorman and was thinking about getting it done before I put it on.
Casey

maxwedge
06-06-2006, 09:55 AM
The local powder coating place told me they couldn't jet hot a cast aluminum manifold unless it had been polished smooth first. Did you guys have polished manifolds before you took them in? If not, where are you getting it done?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
You can jethot a cast or polished intake. If you polish it then it comes out better. My was polished and it came out very nice. I just got tired of polishing it. I paid $140 to jethot mine. I really wanted to chrome dip it but they want serious coin!!

460 jus getn it
06-06-2006, 02:31 PM
The local powder coating place told me they couldn't jet hot a cast aluminum manifold unless it had been polished smooth first. Did you guys have polished manifolds before you took them in? If not, where are you getting it done?
Not true, i took my intake straight to jet hot and they coated it for me...Havent has a problem yet, and it cleans up with windex........

cave
06-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Ty or Mike Email me the # and address if possible.
Thanks everyone for the info. I'll definatly get it done.

460 jus getn it
06-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Ty or Mike Email me the # and address if possible.
Thanks everyone for the info. I'll definatly get it done.
Pm sent.............................................. ............................

Ken F
06-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I had my intake done as well, but permastar definitly looks like chrome, if that is the look you are going for, otherwise the jethot looks like a polished intake!
Todd
Todd, where did you get permastar done? I'd love to have my pump done!!!
Ken F

TRG
06-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Concept P/C in Ontario CA.

Squirtcha?
06-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I had my old manifold done. Worked great and like the others said "just wipe it off with a water spritzen bottle". Stays nice n shiny and little to no maintenance. I didn't polish mine prior to jethotting it.
http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/manifold1t.jpg

dmontzsta
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Todd, do you have any pics of yours?

Taylorman
06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Just had mine done. Here it is. Just got it installed.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/100_1249.jpg

maxwedge
06-07-2006, 07:52 PM
I talked with the guy again today and he said they could do it but didn't reccomend it because it would have little discolored areas from casting flash? Maybe I just need to find a different shop....
Which brings me to my next question...Has anybody Jet Hotted a bowl and nozzle?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-07-2006, 08:50 PM
I was going to do mine but they couldnt guarentee that it wouldnt come off or rust. So I just polished it.....

9er
06-07-2006, 09:27 PM
I think it could be done. I coat my aluminum impellers, it makes them last longer by reducing cavitation burns and pitting.

RECORD7JET
06-08-2006, 11:18 AM
You can jethot a cast or polished intake. If you polish it then it comes out better. My was polished and it came out very nice. I just got tired of polishing it. I paid $140 to jethot mine. I really wanted to chrome dip it but they want serious coin!!
I build headers & have them coated hear locally. My coater has done many intakes also. If anyone near me wants there's coated. I can beat that $140 price for just one & more than one could even be lower.
Chrome just gets hot & stays hot. So Im sure you got the better even though you would have had the chrome.

dmontzsta
06-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Anyone have pics of a manifold that was permastard. :D

CampbellCarl
06-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Don
Not sure what you meant but here's what mine looked like. Jeted the intake and logs, powder coated Valve Covers. I like it!
CC

dmontzsta
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
I am just looking for pics of a manifold that has permastar done to it.
Thanks.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Anyone have pics of a manifold that was permastard. :D
Edelbrock does it and it looks bitchin!!!! I would like to have mine done like that too!!!

dmontzsta
06-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Edelbrock does it and it looks bitchin!!!! I would like to have mine done like that too!!!
I found a place who does it, they are in Downey. I am waiting to hear back...I will post up once I find out the price for a tunnel ram.

JR131
06-07-2007, 08:25 AM
just give jeff or dave from embee a call tell him junior sent you and one of them will take care of you 714 546-6907 it will come out bitchen
jr