PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Maui hotel recommendations

jbone
06-06-2006, 04:18 PM
I just reserved the air fair for my family of 4, 2 girls (4 and 5). Thank god for frequent flier miles.
I was shocked when I began price checking hotels/resorts. $300-400 a night.
We are going to be there for 2 weeks. That a lot of coin for a room.
If anyone has a hookup, or recommendations of a good place to try, please let me know.
We want to stay in the Ka'alapani Beach area. The best I've found so far was at the Ka'alapani Beach Hotel. That is about $270 a night.
Thanks,
J

al cole'holic
06-06-2006, 04:24 PM
...how bout a condo...??...do some shopping at Costco...
www.vrbo.com

Ziggy
06-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Just hotels or would a Condo be ok?.........We've stay at a condo complex in that area a few times and we go back to the same one because its well kept and nice.
The Papakia.
Hotels I've only stayed at in the Makena area....4 Seasons, Grand Wialaia being some of the top notch places there..........Best beaches on the island there too.

livin da dream
06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Check out the Grand Wailea,
pretty awesome and is very kid friendly with many water slides and away from the crowds
we spent a week at GW and then a week at a local condo to keep cost down and shopped at the Costco. Still had passes from GW so we slipped over to the GW to enjoy the facilities while at the condo because they still recognized us from the week before...slimmy yes, but it we still dropped some coin there.

Ziggy
06-06-2006, 04:58 PM
One thing you should know about Hawaii.........There is no such thing as a private beach, its all public. So even if the biggest and best hotels are situated on the beach there will always be public access to the beaches(you'll see the signs). Don't be afraid to use the beaches in front of the world class resorts....
Condo is the best way to save dough......nice little bbq for supper, mix a drink and relax on your Lanai.....water or soda for the kids though :D

jbone
06-06-2006, 04:58 PM
We were really looking for a resort atmosphere, but I like the idea of doing the first week in a resort and the second week in a condo.
We're meeting family from Australia, so we will need 2 resort rooms and 2 condo's. I really don't want to share a room or a condo with them.
What is a rough price for a condo for a week?
J

thumbs
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
I have stayed at the Kaanapali Alii numerours times. I have never been disappointed.
http://www.greathawaiivacations.com/PropertyHtmls/MAA32C.HTM?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=Kaanapali+Alii&utm_campaign=ghv
The Whaler is also nice but a bit older.

livin da dream
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
here is another lead.
http://www.mauiholiday.com/wailea_vacation_rentals.htm
kehei local,
we paid 200 per night 2b2/2ba next to GW bottom floor walk to beach very nice complex quiet no rowdy guest...kids loved it and did not want to go home...
good luck and enjoy

imbndvs
06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Try Lahaina Shores. It is at the end of Lahaina, right on the ocean front and under 200.00 per night and the 5th night is free. We stay here quite often and love it. Lahaina Shores does not have restraunts or stores in the hotel but the town of Lahaina starts 20 feet from the hotel which has plenty of stores and restraunts and plenty of places to party at. I HIGHLY recomend this place!

jbone
06-06-2006, 05:40 PM
The input is great. Keep it coming.
J

Jrocket
06-06-2006, 05:41 PM
We stayed at this place for 2 weeks,condo right on the water,not a 5 star resort but very nice and quiet.Lagoon for snorkeling within walking distance,great bar and restaurant close also.Stumbled back from there a few times on that trip.We plan on going back there soon.
Napili Shores,Maui (http://www.outrigger.com/hotels_detail.aspx?hotel=26)

pixilatedpussy
06-06-2006, 05:42 PM
I just reserved the air fair for my family of 4, 2 girls (4 and 5). Thank god for frequent flier miles.
I was shocked when I began price checking hotels/resorts. $300-400 a night.
We are going to be there for 2 weeks. That a lot of coin for a room.
If anyone has a hookup, or recommendations of a good place to try, please let me know.
We want to stay in the Ka'alapani Beach area. The best I've found so far was at the Ka'alapani Beach Hotel. That is about $270 a night.
Thanks,
J
Anytime we have ever gone to Maui we stay at the Mahana....condo's! On Ka'anapali beach & its awesome! Been going there since I was a kid. :rollside: My mom is a travel agent, she is moving to Hawaii soon/.... she knows Maui like no other. Let me know if you want her info. :rollside:

Brady Bunch
06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
www.chasenrainbows.com
This is the company that we used for our 1 week maui condo rental. We still went to and used the amenities at several resorts. we rented an Ocean front condo for $1200 for the week.

Flying Tiger
06-06-2006, 05:52 PM
It's all good,, I don't think you can do wrong.

ThongMagnet
06-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Just got back May 29th (11 days). If your looking for a deal, the Royal Lahaina resort is remodeling the place. Right on the beach (Kaanapali), three pools, nice dining.
The only setback is there is a bit of noise between 8-5 from the remodel construction. We did not spend much time in the room, so hardly noticed it (only when in the room with patio door open)
The lobby, dinning, bar, patio have all been remodeled, so it is very nice. They are working on the rooms on the 9th floor. We were on the forth floor. All rooms seem to have a great view of the water. Nice beach for the kids, as well as pool with bar for the adults. Seem to have quite a few kids in the pool. One of the best Luau's is right on property, so no need to travel. Train to downtown Lahaina has station across the street. Nice sunsets. Their golf coarse was being redone, so it was closed, but it might be finished by the time you get there.
2780 Kekaa Dr.
Lahaina, Hi 96761
1-808 661-3611
I think we paid about $160 a night, but since we got a package deal through Expedia which included round trip Airfare, 10 night/11days, and a 2006 Mustang convertible through Hertz, it would be hard to break it down (Total package $2750 plus the 4% state tax). Give them a call and use the hotel construction knowledge to work a deal :)

Dan Lorenze
06-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I been to Maui several times, the best deal for us so far was getting a condo on the beach in Kehei, the resort was is "Sugarbeach resort". The place had a nice little local bar and numerous BBQs. It's not crouded at all since it's at the end of Kehei. Lahaina is real nice but it's get real hot there and when there isn't a breeze it can get uncomfortable, it also feels like a tourist trap.

rmarion
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
check out the Embassy.....
SWEET POOL for kids and adults, + free Breakfast + 4pm Happy hour
Rooms are nice...........

jbone
06-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Anytime we have ever gone to Maui we stay at the Mahana....condo's! On Ka'anapali beach & its awesome! Been going there since I was a kid. My mom is a travel agent, she is moving to Hawaii soon/.... she knows Maui like no other. Let me know if you want her info.
Yes please, you can pm me with the info. Sounds like she'd be a good person to talk to. It looks like the condo thing might be the best dealeo.
Thanks,
J

lalhc
06-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Our family stayed in a condo in Kehei and loved it! It has a great small town atmosphere, good restaurants, and very reasonable prices. We had an ocean view 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo for $750/week two years ago. We've done the resort thing and condos the way to go.

Riverkid
06-06-2006, 07:02 PM
We've done condo rooms at the Whaler several years running with the extended family. The in laws spring for the big water front view rooms for getherings and the rest of us get what they have. Do Costco on the way in, you'll save a fortune.
Plus, the Hula Grill is right next door in Whaler's Village. Love that place!

JustMVG
06-06-2006, 07:03 PM
We stayed at the Maui Prince Hotel for our honeymoon, we loved it service was great and the experience was too.

FASTJTBT
06-06-2006, 07:08 PM
My Wife Owns 5 Weeks A Year At The Whaler You Cant Beat That Place Everything Real Close By We Try To Spend A Month There Every Year We Plan To Retire There.

2Driver
06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
I know a place near where you want to be. It is a plain Jane condo but nice. Nothing 5 star but again - nice. Every condo is water front! and 2 bedrooms are $170 night. I have had 2 friends stay there and they really liked it. Don't look for big lobbys and water fall pools but if you want to be on the beach and have fun it's great. Eveyone is different so look it over. We were just booked there but moved to Kauai instead at last minute.
http://www.nohonanicondos.com/OurCondos.asp

canuck1
06-06-2006, 07:42 PM
do you like
busy or quiet?
All the ammenities on site or not?
to jump in the car for food or the beach?
Kaanapalii area is the nicest on the island but depending on what you like would put you on the nort side or the south side of Black Rock.
I would suggest that you pick up an Entertainment card to save $ on condos or hotels

ULTRA28
06-06-2006, 07:48 PM
We're heading there next month. We're staying at the Grand Wailea. Try www.mauiinfo.com for condos. It is owned by Kevin Spaise ( Hot Boat editor) He lives in Maui full time and has a bunch of condos for rent.

pushnwood
06-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Just got back May 29th (11 days). If your looking for a deal, the Royal Lahaina resort is remodeling the place. Right on the beach (Kaanapali), three pools, nice dining.
The only setback is there is a bit of noise between 8-5 from the remodel construction. We did not spend much time in the room, so hardly noticed it (only when in the room with patio door open)
The lobby, dinning, bar, patio have all been remodeled, so it is very nice. They are working on the rooms on the 9th floor. We were on the forth floor. All rooms seem to have a great view of the water. Nice beach for the kids, as well as pool with bar for the adults. Seem to have quite a few kids in the pool. One of the best Luau's is right on property, so no need to travel. Train to downtown Lahaina has station across the street. Nice sunsets. Their golf coarse was being redone, so it was closed, but it might be finished by the time you get there.
2780 Kekaa Dr.
Lahaina, Hi 96761
1-808 661-3611
I think we paid about $160 a night, but since we got a package deal through Expedia which included round trip Airfare, 10 night/11days, and a 2006 Mustang convertible through Hertz, it would be hard to break it down (Total package $2750 plus the 4% state tax). Give them a call and use the hotel construction knowledge to work a deal :)
I went there 2 weeks ago , nice location, best beach on that side of island,resonable rates.

AZKC
06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Only one place to stay on the West side.......... Napili. Kapalua is close and Lahina is close and Whalers Village is close. Napili Sunset is my choice. Resort setting no but "It dont get no betta bra" Flemings Beach for body boarding. The old Flemings beach is snorkle heaven. Store and water toy rentals within walkin distance. Play the Beach course at Kapalua.
I wana GO :cry:

AZKC
06-06-2006, 08:18 PM
No buildings over 2 stories, BBQ's, 20 feet from the beach off your private porch/lanai :)
I wanna GO :cry:

AZKC
06-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Do a Google Image search, Napili Bay :)

jbone
06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
We're heading there next month. We're staying at the Grand Wailea. Try www.mauiinfo.com for condos. It is owned by Kevin Spaise ( Hot Boat editor) He lives in Maui full time and has a bunch of condos for rent.
John, I just looked that place up. Must be nice to be loaded.
I guess you could talk to someone about your biz and call it a tax write off though.
I've talked it over with the wife (the boss) and she wants all the ammenities of a resort. (Room service, kids programs, on site restaurants, etc. Not to mention, the kids will be at the pool most of the time and the resort pools are great.
So, we will probably do the first week in a resort type hotel and do the second week in a condo somewhere.
Thanks for all the good info. I'll be sorting through all the recommendations for days. :squiggle:
J

canuck1
06-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I guess you could talk to someone about your biz and call it a tax write off though.
I've talked it over with the wife (the boss) and she wants all the ammenities of a resort. (Room service, kids programs, on site restaurants, etc. Not to mention, the kids will be at the pool most of the time and the resort pools are great.
So, we will probably do the first week in a resort type hotel and do the second week in a condo somewhere.
Thanks for all the good info. I'll be sorting through all the recommendations for days. :squiggle:
J
The Marriott is the place for you

DRMCAT
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
We spent a week at the Grand Wailea last August. It was a great time, but definately not inexpensive.

AZKC
06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
J
Well you might as well ck Kanapali if thats what you need but its not Maui IMHO :idea:

jbone
06-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Only one place to stay on the West side.......... Napili. Kapalua is close and Lahina is close and Whalers Village is close. Napili Sunset is my choice. Resort setting no but "It dont get no betta bra" Flemings Beach for body boarding. The old Flemings beach is snorkle heaven. Store and water toy rentals within walkin distance. Play the Beach course at Kapalua.
I wana GO :cry:
I did the image search. You're right, it is beautiful. The prices look okay and there seems to be a lot of condos to chose from. Did you have a specific condo to recommend?
That may be where we do the second week.
Thanks,
J

bruddah
06-07-2006, 07:08 AM
We stayed at this place for 2 weeks,condo right on the water,not a 5 star resort but very nice and quiet.Lagoon for snorkeling within walking distance,great bar and restaurant close also.Stumbled back from there a few times on that trip.We plan on going back there soon.
Napili Shores,Maui (http://www.outrigger.com/hotels_detail.aspx?hotel=26)
i have to agree, stay in napili. i lived there right up the street from this place for 3 months with my uncle. it is a cool place and the lagoon is perfect for snorkeling, spear fishing, and fishing. if you looking to surf there are also some really good waves around there. let me know if you plan on going and ill give you the scoop on the water if you want to surf. some of the spots have some resident tiger sharks so they are a no go. but napili is awesome and there arent that many people and is a nice small town.
-lance

1stepcloser
06-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Try www.mauiinfo.com It is owned by Kevin Spaise ( Hot Boat editor) He lives in Maui full time and has a bunch of condos for rent.
This is who I use and would strongly recommend. Sherry (Kevin's wife) is awesome to work with, she will get you what you want, not only a condo.
She has exceeded my expectations every time.

AZKC
06-07-2006, 07:19 AM
I did the image search. You're right, it is beautiful. The prices look okay and there seems to be a lot of condos to chose from. Did you have a specific condo to recommend?
That may be where we do the second week.
Thanks,
J
This place is pretty much in the middle of the beach, Upstairs units on the north end. Napili Sunset (http://www.napilisunset.com/) Its where we have stayed :)
This place is a little nicer but of course more money it is kinda like a resort.
Napili Kai (http://www.napilikai.com/) They'll bring ya drinks on the beach :skull:

redi4fun
06-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Jbone,
I just got back from Kaanapali. This time around we stayed here http://kaanapali-shores.com/. They are condos but have all the amenities of a resort. Activities for the kids, a decent place to eat, two nice pools one by the beach, very nice grounds, daily maid service, washer and dryer in room, great views of neighboring islands in ocean view rooms. The room we had was large and very nicely decorated. It was fully stocked with dishes, glassware etc. It was in a great location on the beach and also had a shopping center across the street that had a market and some great places to eat. I would definitely stay there again.
Good luck

Cruzzze
06-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Ritz Carlton Kanapali......right on the Mercedez Championship Golf Course, private beaches, great food, pricey but BLING...... :crossx:

riverracerx
06-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Grand Waileia.
You will never find a nicer resort in Maui! We got married there. Great for the kids too. They have an AWESOME pool.

Kiddunot
06-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I know its expensive but so is everything else out there....stay at the westin....great place, i think it blows all the hotels out of the water......great place for the kids as well, very nice pool.