PDA

View Full Version : Remote oil filter help??

kp216
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I posted this over in Gearheads, but thought I'd ask over here too...
A couple of weeks ago I installed a Summit brand remote oil filter adapter with a Wix 51515 filter. Sunday was the shakedown for it and I noticed something. Motor is a 403 Olds that is a very mild 250hp.
I had good oil pressure when I first fired it up, then as I was idling thru the no wake zone, I saw the oil pressure bouncing around. It would go to about 40, then drop to 20, then back up to 30 and so on. After I brought the rpm's up a little and got the boat on plane, it continued for about another 30 seconds and then went to 50 where it stayed. Any time I shut the boat off, it would do the same thing again on start up.
Prior to installing the remote filter, I always carried 45-50 pounds at cruising and WOT, and never below 35-40 at hot idle.
Any thoughts on what's going on?

Ken F
06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Any thoughts on what's going on?
It's an Olds.
BWWAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Kev, if I didn't know you so well, I wouldn't have said that! lol
Could it be possible that there is air in the lines that it's taking awhile to purge? Possibly draining back down after you shut it off? Dunno....that would be my first thought.
Ken

GunninGopher
06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Are you sure you have it plumbed correct? Maybe it is flowing backwards.

jbone
06-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I had to change out the check valve when doing the remote deal on my BBC. Is there a check valve on yours? I was told with the added restriction of the lines, the lighter checkvalve would cause the oil to bypass the filter completely.
Just a thought.
J

Squirtcha?
06-07-2006, 04:13 AM
Depending on how much additional line you ran it may have affected how much oil you need to run in your crankcase. 5' of stainless -10AN would hold almost a full quart. Have you checked your level?

kp216
06-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Ken - That's funny! You of all people should know what I really want shoe-horned into the back of my boat.
I thought about air in the line(s) as well. The new remote filter is mounted about 12" above the engine block mount.
Gopher - Yep, I'm positive it's plumbed right. I triple checked as I was hooking everything up.
J-Bone - Thanks for your replies here and over in gearheads. I'm not sure about a check valve, that's kind of why I'm asking. I was hoping some Olds fanatics would see this and speak up.
I haven't posted over at Real Olds Power. Apparently my account was deleted, so I guess I'll have to re-register.

Old Guy
06-07-2006, 05:14 AM
I don't have anything to offer. I've been running a 455 Olds in my boat for 20+ years. Actually it's been 4 different boats (all Olds). Several different brands of remote filters. Never any experience like yours.
Everybody had to re-register on ROP after a crash. Happened more than once. Go ahead and re-register and post your question on the "General Engine Tech" board. Maybe somebody over there will know something. I also would like to know what could be the cause of your symptoms.
Roger

stompnstang
06-07-2006, 06:38 AM
I don't have anything to offer. I've been running a 455 Olds in my boat for 20+ years. Actually it's been 4 different boats (all Olds). Several different brands of remote filters. Never any experience like yours.
Everybody had to re-register on ROP after a crash. Happened more than once. Go ahead and re-register and post your question on the "General Engine Tech" board. Maybe somebody over there will know something. I also would like to know what could be the cause of your symptoms.
Roger
roger
do you have a link to that olds forum?? if so i would be very greatful!!

Wet Dream
06-07-2006, 06:57 AM
I thought about air in the line(s) as well. The new remote filter is mounted about 12" above the engine block mount.
Whats happening is that the oil is draining back through the lines into the motor. When you have it elevated, it doesn't have any choice but for gravity to take over.

kp216
06-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Squirtcha - I thought about that too. The filter I'm running now took almost a full quart to fill, while the previous was pretty small. I'm running the black rubber hoses that came with the kit which are about 5/8" ID, and each hose is about 3' long. Right now, my dipstick shows about a half quart low. I guess I need to figure out the true volume of the hoses.
Old Guy - Thanks for the heads up on ROP. I'll re-register.
Stompnstang - The address to the ROP board is www.realoldspower.com
Wet Dream - I was wondering if that might be what was going on.
Kevin