PDA

View Full Version : trouble with gauges

loudpipessavelives
06-06-2006, 05:25 PM
im having trouble getting some of my gauges to work..... there beade white series and the tach only will read up to 3200 and im doin alot more than that and the directions dont tell me anything.... My water temp gauge was working for break in, then it all of a sudden stopped, i think its not grounding but im not sure.... My fuel gauge isnt working either i dont know if its the sending units or what, i tried both and im not getting a response and the gauge has power

rerfert
06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
im having trouble getting some of my gauges to work..... there beade white series and the tach only will read up to 3200 and im doin alot more than that and the directions dont tell me anything.... My water temp gauge was working for break in, then it all of a sudden stopped, i think its not grounding but im not sure.... My fuel gauge isnt working either i dont know if its the sending units or what, i tried both and im not getting a response and the gauge has power
Tach ? Make sure it is set for you aplication, What motor 4,6,8,cyl?
As for the water and fuel gauges, you can ground the sending posts or wire from the sending unit and the gauge should peg (if they do they work...As for the sending units on the motor?) They might not be compatible with the gauge.

boater012
06-06-2006, 06:28 PM
You know the answer now go fix it sir! BAD GROUND :220v:

1968Droptop
06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
You know the answer now go fix it sir! BAD GROUND :220v:
EXACTLY !!!!!!!!! 90% + of all elec troubles are faultly grounds. If you had lost just one gauge then it may be that particular unit. But since your having trouble with more than one, check and recheck all your grounds.

loudpipessavelives
06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
uim runnin a v8 and the directions for the tach are not telling me what setting to turn it to, It has a little dial that says 1,2,3,4 clockwise and i have it on four , is that the right setting?

1968Droptop
06-07-2006, 03:52 PM
uim runnin a v8 and the directions for the tach are not telling me what setting to turn it to, It has a little dial that says 1,2,3,4 clockwise and i have it on four , is that the right setting?
That would of been my guess as well. Try the #1 setting and see what it reads ? I still think you've got a bad ground though.

boater012
06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Yes it is but check t make sure that you did not accidentaly get an outboard motor tach mosy small engine tachs will heve the ONE cylnider on them iof you want to run it on a small outboard.
I have installed too many gauges to remember but the Big engine tachs usually just have the 3-4 setting on the back of them
A v-6 motor would use the 3 because the tach signal is the same for 3 and 6 cylinders.
The V-8 would use the 4 setting because 4 cylinders and 8 cylinders use the same tach signal! Get it?????
I,d say that you accidentally got an outbaord tach but thats just me! Did you buy the gauges?????

WHATA SQUIRT
06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
LOUD,you have the right Tach..I just installed the silver beedee's in my boat..setting 4 is for a outboard..V-8 setting is 3...mine came on 4 as well,only 3200 RPM..The setting description is on the side of the body of the gauge....good luck let me know if you have any questions..

boater012
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
I have never seen those settings on the gauges before
I have been out of the biz for w hile but figured that it would still be the same! sorry for the bad info! :220v:

GottaJet
06-07-2006, 09:09 PM
I've heard if your senders go bad which will happen from time to time on a boat due to the constant rough conditions that autometer will replace them if you send them in. Can anyone confirm???