PDA

View Full Version : Wjere do I find good life jackets ?

1968Droptop
06-06-2006, 07:26 PM
My bitter half has a phobia about boats and bigger bodies of water, aka LAKES. She only feels safe with a life jacket on. I myself have considered getting one as well. It's not really a bad idea, and the 5 yo keeps asking "dad, where's your life jacket ?"
I have 4 on the boat per CC reg's, but lets face those things aren't going to float a big phat guy like me, and they look like chit to boot ! I've seen some nice ones in the mags, but have no idea where to look for them ? Any suggestions ? Any idea what I should have to pay for a decent matching pair ? THANKS !!!!!!

TRG
06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Lifeline in parker AZ.

Jordy
06-06-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.lifelinejackets.com/

sleekcrafter
06-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Neopreme life jackets are not bad, and are available in a variety of colors, and designs. Check the ski shops or places like Overtons or Discount Inboard Marine. :)
Sleek

TRG
06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Lifeline does make an everyday use jacket that is not too bad in price!...its actually has a much better warranty that any others out there and they will custom fit it for your size!

El Prosecutor
06-06-2006, 09:01 PM
This guy on eBay has lots of good deals on vests and other sporting goods - On the bargain end I saw a new Jetpilot brand nylon vest for $20 including shipping. That is cheaper than WalMart! He also has the newer styles for more money, like neoprene, side entry, etc. Good selection. Sells out of Arizona. No relation by the way, just been in the market myself lately.
http://stores.ebay.com/Sporting-Goods-Closeouts

dmontzsta
06-06-2006, 09:07 PM
It doesnt get any better than Lifeline.

1978 Rogers
06-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Neopreme life jackets are not bad, and are available in a variety of colors, and designs. Check the ski shops or places like Overtons or Discount Inboard Marine. :)
Sleek
Dude, go neoprene. those are pretty comfy. GI Joes has a good selection on them and sizes for Chase also. Get the spending one for you when you if you think you need it or some water wings or something.

El Prosecutor
06-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Lifeline is clearly the best, and since 1968Droptop doesn't really even want to wear a vest but is just making mama happy, he can go with the less expensive non-racing model, which starts at barely over $300.
http://www.lifelinejackets.com/llj_pricelist.html
I am sure the five year old will want to add the flame decoration, since that only costs $100 more.
:p

victorfb
06-06-2006, 10:15 PM
are all lifeline jackets USCG approved and have the tag? ive heard conflicting answers.
as for your average neopreme USCG approved life vests, costco seems to have some really good deals on them. (if you can find them in your size)

Jordy
06-07-2006, 01:05 AM
are all lifeline jackets USCG approved and have the tag?
Last word I had on them was no, but like I have in my boat, he says he's got approved life jackets and Boatcop has said repeatedly that his guys won't write someone for a lack of vests if they're wearing Lifelines.
as for your average neopreme USCG approved life vests, costco seems to have some really good deals on them. (if you can find them in your size)
Neoprene jackets are great as long as you never run over 30 mph and don't really care what happens to you in the event you come out of your boat. I look at the cheap ass ski vests the same way that I look at the $50 helmets and the $80 boots they sell for dirtbikes and quads in the offroad magazines. If you have a $50 brain, get a $50 bucket. Personally, and I'm of the opinion that you get what you pay for, I spent almost $500 on my helmet and $300 on my boots. I like my head and my ankles in the same way that spending $300 on a vest, that in the event that something happens, will first and most importantly stay on me thanks to the fit and the leg straps, secondly, if I end up out of the boat unconcious, roll me over and float me face up, esentially saving my life. I see that as things worth spending money on and I'm not running in a little boat that things are far more likely to happen in these days. $50 head, $50 bucket, $5 orange floaty jacket. It's up to you. ;)

kp216
06-07-2006, 04:19 AM
At what speed should a person really consider going to a Lifeline?

Red Horse
06-07-2006, 04:52 AM
About the best off the shelf lifejacket/ski vest are rated to 50 MPH. After that....

gochappy
06-07-2006, 05:04 AM
I think for a big fat guy you should be wearing the orange ones from McChales navy...LOL

TRG
06-07-2006, 06:18 AM
are all lifeline jackets USCG approved and have the tag? ive heard conflicting answers.
I spoke with a woman answering the phones when inquiring about savanah'ss jacket, she informed me that their jackets are NOT uscg aproved! the also said that the companies that produce most all others that have the tag are made in mass quantities and chech every 50 or so and pull pull a few off the line for quality control as well to be certified by the uscg, now, she said that if you need to have it certified by the uscg, they will cert. the jacket but who wants to go through all that B.S. when everyone knows lifeline is the shizzle!
i am comfortable putting my 3yo in a lifeline and they custom fit her to it!... although i did have to buy her the kids racing jacket, cuz the cool factor is just about way up there, and as she gets bigger they can add to the jacket so we will get more use out of it!
Savanah's jacket ran me 199.99 but well worth the money!
Todd

victorfb
06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
i am full aware and agree that a lifeline jacket by far is a superior product and in no way am i trying to say that just because it has a tag that is USCG approved that its a better product. the point being is i would hate to see someone get a ticket for not having USCG approved life jackets. yes boatcop may say he and his crew will let the lifeline products fly, but not everyone on this board goes to the colorado river.
as for the neopreme vests. these are for skiing and such. not intended for racing. not everyone on this board races. some actually ski, wakeboard, and pull toys. for this reason i mentioned the "average neopreme vests" and that they can be bought at costco for a reasonable price. remember you need 1 USCG approved life jacket for each person in the boat. it has been mentioned by some board members that they feel that these ski vests are not adequate for thier purpose and boating style. i do however wonder if these people buy lifeline jackets for all of thier passengers aswell.

Taylorman
06-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Sams has neoprene vests cheap, like $40.

78Southwind
06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Walmart also carries the Stearns Neoprene vest. You can pick them up for about $40. Works great for my $40 friends. :)

1968Droptop
06-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Lots of good info and good points made. Thanks all !!! it sounds as though LifeLine is the way to go, now if I can just afford them..LOL.
If cool were cheap, everyone would be.

502 JET
06-07-2006, 06:58 PM
I am going to get a couple of Mustang Survival high impact water sports vests.Check the link and see the specs. http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=407&mc=4
They are $89.99 in my 05 Boaters World catalog.
There is an Oberg Racing life jacket on ebay it looks like a lifeline.I searched the net for info on them but found none.