PDA

View Full Version : how do change a fuel pump in a 99 suburban

robsformula
06-06-2006, 09:21 PM
has anybody changed a fuel pump in a 99 suburban/in the fuel tank? I need a little advise on how to disconect the 2 fuel lines

TRUMP TIGHT
06-06-2006, 09:23 PM
By taking it to your local mechanic!:rollside:

robsformula
06-06-2006, 09:25 PM
i already have the fuel tank down and the 2 lines going directly to the pump are something like a quick disconect fitting. I cannot get them to release though

TRUMP TIGHT
06-06-2006, 09:34 PM
i already have the fuel tank down and the 2 lines going directly to the pump are something like a quick disconect fitting. I cannot get them to release though
Hit em with a hammer that always seems to work for me!;)J/K!

myoung
06-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Go to the auto parts store to get the tool for separating them.
Look like these, link-a-rama (http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/vehicle-specialty-tools-fuel-systems-service-tools-fuel-line-tools.html)
Lots of different styles, all pretty much do the same thing.

Kachina26
06-07-2006, 06:12 AM
I've done a couple :rolleyes: Many of those tools (even the good ones) are a real bear to get in there properly. Your new fuel pump, should be the whole module. What I used to do, is work with the tool for a few minutes, and if that didn't pan out, break the fitting off of the module. It's much easier to remove the broken ends from the line without everything in your way. You're still gonna need the tool and a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Sleek-Jet
06-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Break 'em.... that's what I had to do.

robsformula
06-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the advise. I will go out this am and get the tool. I just wish that at the auto parts store they would have mentioned that I needed a special tool to seperate the 2 fuel lines. It would have been finished last night. What a pain in the a$$ this has become. But I will say I am saving some gas money for the weekend. :)

Jetdriver
06-07-2006, 06:41 AM
Its actually a Ford fuel line removal tool. Yes I said FORD. Your local autoparts store should have it no problem. Fuel pumps a pain in the ass but I changed mine a few months back in about 2 hours. Good luck.

Kachina26
06-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Thanks everyone for the advise. I will go out this am and get the tool. I just wish that at the auto parts store they would have mentioned that I needed a special tool to seperate the 2 fuel lines. It would have been finished last night. What a pain in the a$$ this has become. But I will say I am saving some gas money for the weekend. :)If you got that pump anywhere but the GM dealer, DON'T OPEN IT!!! RETURN IT!!!!! PAY THE EXTRA MONEY!!!!! You'll save the money on the tow bill :D

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
06-07-2006, 06:48 AM
ROBSFORMULA I hope you did not buy one of those cheap-ass kragen pumps did you? If you did take IT back now and go buy a good pump from dealer. Every time my shop installed kragen-autozone-napa p.o.s. they would fail within 1 year. We always install dealer pump, might be a little more but well worth piece of mind on long trips. Good luck and may the force(fuel pressure) be with you BIG JOE :crossx: :skull: :crossx:

robsformula
06-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Too let everyone know I purchased a pump from the dealer. I have heard to many stories. Buy American stay American. :D

ThongMagnet
06-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Too let everyone know I purchased a pump from the dealer. I have heard to many stories. Buy American stay American. :D
Good Job!!!
You can buy a Checker/Autozone pump and get really good at swapping them out. The job goes really quick when you have to change it out once a year :)
A friend cut a hole in the floor after his third replacement and covered it with a screw on plate, just so he did not have to drop the tank everytime it happened. (do not try to cut hole while tank is still in the car)

Kachina26
06-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Actually, as I recall, the box says Hecho en Mexico, or was it Singapore, or maybe..............