PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bearings & grease seals problem..

JT2Fast4U
06-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi... I'm in the process of changing my wheel bearings & grease seals on my 1973 Capri boat trailer. But now that I have them out & apart, I'm having a heck of a time locating the right grease seals for them. And all the "wheel bearing kits" that I have found for it, the grease seals that are included with the "kits", are not even close to being the right size, even thou the bearings are the exact replacement bearings for it. Has anyone else ran into this problem before?
This is what I have...
The inner bearing is a SKF-L68149 & the race is a SKF-L68111
The outer bearing is a Timken LM12749 & the race is a Timken LM12711
The spindle is a "tapered" spindle, with a 1.380" thickness on the "inner" part of it & 0.865" thickness on the "outer" part of it. And from what I have found out so far, from searching for grease seals & bearing kits on the net, if I'm using the above bearings them I'm suppose to be using a certain grease seal that goes with those bearing. Like they are all in "size perportion" to one another. But like I said, the ones that are offered, in these kits, are not even close to being the right size. There like 3/8" to 1/2" too small on the inner lip of it.
None of my local shops have been able to match it up with the old one either, & they also said it has "china" numbers on it that they can't cross-reference too either. Maybe i'm just looking in all the wrong places, & that's why I'm wondering if any of you know of a place where I might be able to find the ones that I need. Weather it be from a local shop (southern CA.) or better yet, an internet site, or something like that would be great. It's a real bitch that I can't take my boat out, or even move it for that matter, all because of a lame $5-$10. part. That sucks!!! lol :o/ I would really appreciate if some of you guys could point me in the right direction to where they might have a good selection of these seals. Thanks in advance... JT2Fast4u

YeLLowBoaT
06-07-2006, 12:34 AM
What kind of shops have you been trying??? Any good trailer or RV place should be able to match them up... Hell if they actaully have a parts guy that knows what he is doing, chances are he can match them up just by looking.

shaun
06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
I dont know who made my trailer but i brought my old stuff to kragen and they where able to look it up in a book and get me the stuff i needed. Downside was they didnt have any kits, i had to buy everything seperate so it probably was a bit more expensive. Think it cost me like $120 which included all bearings and seals for 4 tires.

jbtrailerjim
06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Try these guys Arrow Trailer (http://www.arrowtrailer.net/door/). They are in Ontario and should have what you need.

e8411a
06-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Measure your old seal and go to this website, http://shop.easternmarine.com/ They list all seals by size. They ship fast as well.