PDA

View Full Version : pump question

kcsteck
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
are you supposed to be able to turn the pump by hand? for instance lets say just the yoke is in the pump not connected to the motor. Should I be able to grab it and spin it by hand or not? Mine does not spin by hand and my buddies spins like super easy. like spin it and it keeps spinnin for a sec? who's is ok and who's isnt?
Casey

Jet Hydro
06-07-2006, 12:20 PM
you might have some road gravel between the impeller and wear ring or the baring is out.
his is OK
yours is not!

El Prosecutor
06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
are you supposed to be able to turn the pump by hand? for instance lets say just the yoke is in the pump not connected to the motor. Should I be able to grab it and spin it by hand or not? Mine does not spin by hand and my buddies spins like super easy. like spin it and it keeps spinnin for a sec? who's is ok and who's isnt?
Casey
With conventional packings (graphite or the old rope) if it isn't connected to the driveline you should be able to turn it by hand with mild effort, but it should not keep spinning. Your packings are probably just a little too tight. There are worse possibilities but I would check that before sweating it. Have you checked the packings when the pump is running? You should have just a little periodic drip (not a steady trickle) of water from the packings. If they are too tight you can cause premature wear to the shaft. Too loose and you will have leaks. Is your buddy with the loose pump getting a lot of water in the bilge?

victorfb
06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
IMO it should turn but not spin. packing gland can be worn out or loose if its spinning. more importantly is side to side movement. none should be felt on the shaft. if so have it checked.

IMPATIENT 1
06-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Casey
yep, you got something wrong.your buddie's pump probably needs new packing gland seals, with a good seal you can't just free wheel the shaft,it'll take a little pressure to turn it.

IMPATIENT 1
06-07-2006, 12:25 PM
damn!i was typing something and 2 others posted the same first,we gotta get to the lake,i'm bored off my ass!

kcsteck
06-07-2006, 12:57 PM
ok where is the packings so I can check if it leaks or trickles etc?
Casey

El Prosecutor
06-07-2006, 02:00 PM
ok where is the packings so I can check if it leaks or trickles etc?
Casey
The actual packings are #20 in the drawing.
They are tightened by tightening the packing gland nuts (#36).
You should get a few drops a minute coming out past the packing gland, but it shouldn't be a steady stream. A little is good.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252Berkeley_12Jc_Drawing.jpg