PDA

View Full Version : No more cast pistons!!

GUGS102
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
This is why you just don't do it! Don't be cheap, spend the money, the next guy(maybe me) will thank you. (this is on my brother's boat)
This is a .40 over BBC with a healthy solid mechanical, victor intake, DP holley, they spent alot on money on this boat but cheaped out on the pistons!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2928CIMG1464.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2928CIMG1466.jpg
Don't do it!!

460 jus getn it
06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Yikes..............I just isnt worth it................................................ .....

Big Kahunaa
06-07-2006, 01:42 PM
kick ass

SmokinLowriderSS
06-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Ya have to stay within their limitations, for sure. Wonder just what the build was that overstressed the cast ones so much?
On my rebuild at the start of my upgrades (winter 04/05) I HAD to keep my orriginal cast slugs, the budget didn't really exist even for the rebuild. In a few years, I will rebuild again and bump the comp up to 10 with some forged pieces tho. :)

GUGS102
06-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Ya have to stay within their limitations, for sure. Wonder just what the build was that overstressed the cast ones so much?
On my rebuild at the start of my upgrades (winter 04/05) I HAD to keep my orriginal cast slugs, the budget didn't really exist even for the rebuild. In a few years, I will rebuild again and bump the comp up to 10 with some forged pieces tho. :)
The stress was caused by countless trips to 5500RPM and repeated stress as the pump came into and out of the water :)
It has 990 heads, crower valve train with a 250+ @.50 with over 600 lift (can't remenber exactly) 4 bolt lower, 7/16 chevy rods.

GUGS102
06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Luckily it crumbled at idle, I was about 20 feat away in my boat and hear it come apart, so hopefully we did not do too much damage to the bore.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-08-2006, 06:40 PM
This needs to come back to the top. Those pics are brutal. Glad we forked the dough for good J&E's

b's sanger
06-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Ouch.

Code4
06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Oh Nelson #109, where are you??????? :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Code4
06-08-2006, 10:32 PM
The stress was caused by countless trips to 5500RPM and repeated stress as the pump came into and out of the water :)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SmokinLowriderSS
06-09-2006, 02:54 AM
It has 990 heads, crower valve train with a 250+ @.50 with over 600 lift (can't remenber exactly) 4 bolt lower, 7/16 chevy rods.
Yea, that'd likely do `er. That's a solid bottom end, was probably making about all the HP pressure those pistons ever wanted from the potential off that cam as well.
Yea, hope the pins didn't get to the cylinders badly, I can only imagine the sound. :yuk: :yuk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

TIMINATOR
06-09-2006, 08:11 AM
I have a Mercruiser 377 H.O. with cast pistons in for repair,(what the hell was merc thinking?). They look the same, Googs saw 'em too. Motor will need a sleeve, and will have forged pistons when it leaves. TIMINATOR

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I have a Mercruiser 377 H.O. with cast pistons in for repair,(what the hell was merc thinking?). They look the same, Googs saw 'em too. Motor will need a sleeve, and will have forged pistons when it leaves. TIMINATOR
AMEN!!! I think all boat motors should have forged slugs. Spend a few more bucks ang you will have no worries. You can get a set of speedpro's for around $375 and they are forged;)

NELSON#109
06-10-2006, 03:48 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
thats no good, im sorry to hear it's dead. code-4, i might have to run this by your brother in law, i know ron williams put the bottom end togather just before i bought that boat from him, and that dick head eric told me it had forged pistons.... im not completley suprised, he is one of the biggest liars i know... i am suprised that came outta rons shop though... but for what it's worth, i never met an engine that ran a harder life..... lord knows i gave it hell a few times....
greg, if it will make you feel better.... ill let you make a pass in the cp, its just waitin to do the same thing... always on kill.... the rods have too many passes... you might get lucky n get some payback.... ok, back to work....
btw, broskie ( code-4 ) freebies are over you silver headed homo.

GUGS102
06-10-2006, 07:48 AM
thats no good, im sorry to hear it's dead. code-4, i might have to run this by your brother in law, i know ron williams put the bottom end togather just before i bought that boat from him, and that dick head eric told me it had forged pistons.... im not completley suprised, he is one of the biggest liars i know... i am suprised that came outta rons shop though... but for what it's worth, i never met an engine that ran a harder life..... lord knows i gave it hell a few times....
greg, if it will make you feel better.... ill let you make a pass in the cp, its just waitin to do the same thing... always on kill.... the rods have too many passes... you might get lucky n get some payback.... ok, back to work....
btw, broskie ( code-4 ) freebies are over you silver headed homo.
Nelson -
I could not believe you would have put the cast slugs in it. But I did not know you did not build the bottom end. Not to fret, we'll have he going in no time (just money) and already have plans for well over 500CI. The bad part is he is getting married this winter and has to try and readjust the accounts payable department.
I too am amazed at the flogging this motor took(especially now that I know it had cast pistons)not only yours but Greg's too. We repaired the setback foam and reset the intake to fix the cracked epoxy, while we were at it freshened the pump, put it all back together and then the piston let loose, so It's back apart now and we are trying to make some decisions.
The boat is still gorgeous and he is anal about the upkeep. But sometimes things just happen.
Gugs

NELSON#109
06-10-2006, 08:36 PM
was just thinkin of something. i do tend to forget a lot a chit, but i dont remember that being a 4 bolt block....... and i know i had the pan off it for powdercoating.... i guess my memory is fading... too much work, and too many beers.... well any how, if gregs gonna go big with the thing, now is a great time to chit can that big cam.... it was all wrong for a jet... wasnt my choice... he should talk with dave at DNE, or duane at HTP.... those two seem to have thier chit togather when it comes to cams for squirt boats...

GUGS102
06-10-2006, 08:43 PM
was just thinkin of something. i do tend to forget a lot a chit, but i dont remember that being a 4 bolt block....... and i know i had the pan off it for powdercoating.... i guess my memory is fading... too much work, and too many beers.... well any how, if gregs gonna go big with the thing, now is a great time to chit can that big cam.... it was all wrong for a jet... wasnt my choice... he should talk with dave at DNE, or duane at HTP.... those two seem to have thier chit togather when it comes to cams for squirt boats...
Depending on what CI he decides we have several combos lined up with proven performance. You are correct about the cam, we were actually planning on swapping to a full roller when the piston let loose. He's got huge cam, huge heads and huge intake and it is not turing enough RPMs to meet the sweet spot for that combo, we'll get it right, just waiting on a budget evaluation.
Gugs

GUGS102
12-14-2006, 02:49 PM
We are pulling the motor apart this weekend and will post pics. Thinking of oversized slugs, full roller comp set up and a little blue bottle, just in case. If this boat rides any drier, we'll have to add wings...
Gugs

BOOGEYMAN
12-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Cast pistons will go much further than you think as far as hp goes!! The only time you really blow them up is a bad tune up or if you rattle it. We run a 120,000 mile bone stock 350 chevy with badger cast pistons and a pair of Gn turbos and make 662 hp at the wheels and 728 ft lbs of torque! Its all in the tune up! Follow this link if you want to read up more on it.
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=61219.0

GUGS102
12-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Cast pistons will go much further than you think as far as hp goes!! The only time you really blow them up is a bad tune up or if you rattle it. We run a 120,000 mile bone stock 350 chevy with badger cast pistons and a pair of Gn turbos and make 662 hp at the wheels and 728 ft lbs of torque! Its all in the tune up! Follow this link if you want to read up more on it.
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=61219.0
Maybe, but throw it in a jet boat and see how long it lasts. Or run it at 5500 RPM or WOT for 25 minutes at a time.
I'm sure you guys have that motor dialed, but I'd never hang hair dryers on a boat with cast slugs, I'd rather spend the 300 extra for piece of mind alone.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Maybe, but throw it in a jet boat and see how long it lasts. Or run it at 5500 RPM or WOT for 25 minutes at a time.
I'm sure you guys have that motor dialed, but I'd never hang hair dryers on a boat with cast slugs, I'd rather spend the 300 extra for piece of mind alone.
I'm with ya on that GUGS. Can't deny Boogeyman is getting away with it, but the thought of it makes my hair stand on end. :supp:

hallett72
12-15-2006, 01:29 AM
damn sorry to hear about your bothers boat gugs102 that is some nasty carnage, i will have to fork out the money when i start to pump the power into my boat. Good luck, hope the block is salvagable.

TIMINATOR
12-15-2006, 08:43 AM
A dragrace engine is about the easiest high HP motor to build, so is a street perf motor. If I build you a 9 sec motor for your drag/street car, you stay on it for 9 sec. under load. How long can you stay on it on the street?On the boat engines we build, the jet guys run Lake Pleasant wide open for 5+ miles. Havasu guys, (like me) run our stuff at boost well over 100 MPH for 10+ miles down on the South end(during the week when there is no traffic). Short bursts are easy, no oil drainback/windage issues,no heat related parts growth,no continous hi-rpm(cars go up and down in rpm through the gears), etc. and I won't use cast or hypers in anything with power. but then again, I have HIGH-HP blown jet motors in lake jets for over 10 years too. Oh yeah, even the Buick GN turbo motors and the turbo Capri motors have forged pistons from the factory. We rebuild about 5-8 cast piston blown-up jet motors a year too! TIMINATOR

BOOGEYMAN
12-15-2006, 06:45 PM
We just did it to see how far we could take it(and to prove a point to some guys in town) and it lasted longer than we thought really. We are doing up some better stock heads with just some mild port clean up and then back to the rollers. We will use the same 24 lbs of boost and a 150 shot of bottle and we think 700 at the wheels and 760 ftlbs is doable! This engine has surrived about 2k miles this last summer with 50 dyno pulls and about 28 passes at the track and still drives like a stocker and starts right up everytime. Most fun you can have with a $350 long block.
Travis.

stillgoin
12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks all for the input.
I had no idea this post went past June until I took the motor to TuffEnuff on Saturday. Talked to the Timinator about the resurrection.
Assuming no major damage to the heads or block (cracks) she will live to see another day on the water.
In the meantime, I'll be doing some cosmetics on the hull and the interior...possibly trailer if all goes well.
Greg

wsuwrhr
12-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Think of all the money you saved.

wsuwrhr
12-19-2006, 08:27 AM
You better be real careful reusing that block after that kind of damage.
Check that hole out REAL good.

uselessgrant
12-19-2006, 01:03 PM
i had a mild 460 do that in a 1 ton p-up. 6 minutes at 5000 .carb was to lean and 87 octane busted a skirt but kept running. DETONATION!!!:eek:

GUGS102
12-19-2006, 05:30 PM
You better be real careful reusing that block after that kind of damage.
Check that hole out REAL good.
Fortunately, the piston let go at idle, the groves from the pin on the walls were caused buy us trying to fire it back up. My first thought was not "wonder if a piston crumbled" It gave no signs of noise, just stopped running.

wsuwrhr
12-19-2006, 05:58 PM
yep.
..and the ensuing shock to the cyclinder wall may have fractured it as well.
Brian
Fortunately, the piston let go at idle, the groves from the pin on the walls were caused buy us trying to fire it back up. My first thought was not "wonder if a piston crumbled" It gave no signs of noise, just stopped running.