PDA

View Full Version : 460 Fuel pump in/out clearance w/oil filter??

stashtrey
06-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I just got my new Holley mechanical fuel pump delivered today. I havent' had time to start swapping it out yet but I did take a look at the part and sized it up with my old one which is still attached.
This new Holley pump has the in and out on opposite sides.... left and right when facing the pump. It looks like the 'in' is going to compete for space with my oil filter.
My old pump has the in and out rotated very close together but this Holley unit doesn't seem to have the capability of moving the location of the in/out.
Does anyone run a Holley mechanical pump and if you do... did you have issues with the oil filter interfering with the inlet?

460 jus getn it
06-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I just got my new Holley mechanical fuel pump delivered today. I havent' had time to start swapping it out yet but I did take a look at the part and sized it up with my old one which is still attached.
This new Holley pump has the in and out on opposite sides.... left and right when facing the pump. It looks like the 'in' is going to compete for space with my oil filter.
My old pump has the in and out rotated very close together but this Holley unit doesn't seem to have the capability of moving the location of the in/out.
Does anyone run a Holley mechanical pump and if you do... did you have issues with the oil filter interfering with the inlet?
They make a adapter that will move the in and out to the bottom of the pump. At least they do for my eldelbrock fuel pump......

Konabud
06-07-2006, 03:38 PM
PM 1968Droptop I know he just put one in his, I just got done putting a Carter in mine with no trouble.

stashtrey
06-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Jesus christ. I can't freaking believe this.
Why the hell would they make a focking fuel pump that doesn't fit? I just don't get it. Seriously.... it's one damn thing after another. I really just never ends.
You spend $100 on a fuel pump made for a 460 motor and they design it so you have to buy an adapter or some part to make it fit? I really just don't get it.
Can you tell I'm pissed off right now? :mad:

÷קmᮆښ×÷
06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Why the hell would they make a focking fuel pump that doesn't fit? I just don't get it. Seriously.... it's one damn thing after another. I really just never ends.
You spend $100 on a fuel pump made for a 460 motor and they design it so you have to buy an adapter or some part to make it fit? I really just don't get it.
Can you tell I'm pissed off right now? :mad:
buy a CHEVY and dont worry about it

1968Droptop
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
:
HUH, I just put a new Holley FP (from Summit) on my 460, NO PROBLEM at all !!! It just bolted right on. I removed a VERY old Carter, which had the lines in a similar location, but the inlet/outlets were one size larger on the Holley....A GOOD THING if you ask me.
P.S. KEEP the Ford engine, but if you do decide to go to the dark side, I'll take your old 460 :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Oldsquirt
06-07-2006, 05:37 PM
If you go to the Holley website and look up the part number, the description includes this line, "Fuel Body Casting Can Be Rotated to Accommodate Various Plumbing Situations". What this means is that you can remove the screws holding the 2 halves of the pump together, rotate the lower half to orient the inlet/outlet where they will work for your application, and then install and tighten the screws. This is common on all the various brands of high performance fuel pumps.

1968Droptop
06-07-2006, 06:17 PM
If you go to the Holley website and look up the part number, the description includes this line, "Fuel Body Casting Can Be Rotated to Accommodate Various Plumbing Situations". What this means is that you can remove the screws holding the 2 halves of the pump together, rotate the lower half to orient the inlet/outlet where they will work for your application, and then install and tighten the screws. This is common on all the various brands of high performance fuel pumps.
I was going to make sure my pump was indeed that way before typing it. I was pretty sure but wanted to double check, and yup that's right on the money. Here's a pix of my new Holley, fit like a glove (unless it's OJ's).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/3320Dscf0021-med.jpg

stashtrey
06-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Wow.
I removed the lower half of my pump and rotated it and luckily I was able to get enough room to do it. Then I had to deal with the thing not fitting properly because of the front part of the motor... an aluminum plate. I used a metal file to file a portion of that down and low and behold the damn thing is on there now!
Also... I went from having just under 4 psi at idle up to 6-7 now. It also holds that pressure for at least a minute after the engine is off.
Crossing my fingers that this was my problem. Will take it out tomorrow after work and let it rip.
Thanks for listening to my cry. :cry:

dmontzsta
06-07-2006, 07:06 PM
buy a CHEVY and dont worry about it
Then you have to worry about all the other MAJOR problems. :)
:)

superdave013
06-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I was going to make sure my pump was indeed that way before typing it. I was pretty sure but wanted to double check, and yup that's right on the money. Here's a pix of my new Holley, fit like a glove (unless it's OJ's).
yeah but that one has the wimpy 1/4" inlet and outlet ports. That 90 elbow is even more of a flow killer.
The one stashtray has have either 3/8 or 1/2" ports. It interfers with the motor plates because it's made for a car and not a boat. A notch or a small square cut out does the trick there. I use the Clay Smith pumps because the internals are not made out of alum like the Holley's are. The outside config is the same. On the fords I plumb I always use the adapter plate so I can use one of the bottom ports. Just makes it easier and you can use fittings with a nice radius to keep the big carbs happy.

stashtrey
06-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Mine is a Holley that has 1/2" ports. Since my lines are all 3/8" and my boat is far from 'high performance' (stock 460 in an 18' Spectra) I just bought 1/2" to 3/8" fittings. I did just what superdave just said.... I had to use a metal file to shave a portion of that marine aluminum plate on the front of my motor. I also had to 'clock' the fuel pump around so I could get my 'in' port clearance from my oil filter. Fortunately my 'out' had enough from around the back side of the pump. Not much room to spare but it fit's like a glove.
My pressure is way up now....
Since my engine is not pretty and I'm not looking for a lot of performance.... is there an affordable fuel pressure regulator that I can slap in there? I don't need a billet mount or anything. Is there something I can put 'in-line' on the fuel line? I just put a pressure gauge on there and it's up about 3.5 psi from my old broken pump. I know this fuel pump is a high performance type mechanical holley.... my Edelbrock 750 carb says to not go more than 6 psi.....

superdave013
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
for what you are doing a low buck holley regulator will be fine.

stashtrey
06-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Does that low dollar Holley regulator need to be fixed/mounted to something or can they run in-line/not mounted?
Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to have to figure out a place to mount this thing.

stashtrey
06-07-2006, 09:16 PM
When I say 'in-line' I mean can I get a regulator and use it just like my pressure gauge? Maybe even a combo regulator/pressure gauge that doesn't need to be fixed to anything? I'm not concerned about looks as you can't see the motor and doing something with aluminum/polished custom stuff would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

stashtrey
06-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Nevermind. Moneypitt answer my question.
I'm working my way through this stuff. All the help is much appreciated. If this were the 'real world/not internet' I would buy everyone several rounds of drinks.

rerfert
06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I'D be loosing that glass fuel filter and going plastic or steel.

Hallett19
06-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Stash, I've got a Holley pressure regulator sitting in the garage if you need one, 6-8 psi wont hurt you though. I had the same problem with my Edelbrock fuel pump as well, didnt clear the oil filter so I clocked it about a half inch and it fits perfect !

stashtrey
06-08-2006, 08:54 AM
So you think 6-8 psi is okay even though edelbrock says 6 is the limit on my carb?
I just don't want to break this new carb.

1968Droptop
06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I'D be loosing that glass fuel filter and going plastic or steel.
REALLY, why ??? I read the plasctic ones can actually melt. I've never had any problem at all with the glass one before, have you ?
superdave013: The pump has 1/2" inlet/outlets, but I'm only running a 750 Holley. I didn't think I needed any more than 3/8". Am I losing something by running "wimpy" size fuel line ?
stashtrey: No regulator on mine, and no troubles. Your old pump was just like mine, ready for the scrap heap.

rerfert
06-08-2006, 05:23 PM
1968Droptop REALLY, why ??? I read the plasctic ones can actually melt. I've never had any problem at all with the glass one before, have you ?
I used them 20 years ago in my street/strip racing 69 Mustang...Had a friend in a BB 67 Camaro break one on a run and burn the car to the ground....I took mine out after that...Still have a few laying around here somewhere.
I do like the concept of the interchangeable filters,but the glass I can do without.
JMO.....I won't ever run one again,occasionally I learn from others.

1968Droptop
06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I do like the concept of the interchangeable filters,but the glass I can do without.
JMO.....I won't ever run one again,occasionally I learn from others.
Thanks for sharing your experience refert. I can see that happening...not good. Funny story though, I'm on another list (1st gen Firebirds) and one lister had a plastic one come apart on him. No fire thankfully, but left him high and dry. I think the plastic seem let go, can't remember for sure. That's the reason I like to glass, besides the ease of cleaning.
I was on the lake at the end of last year. My fuel pump was on it's last leg, but I didn't know it. It let a TON of crap pass into my fuel line, unfortunately my water seperator/pre-fuel filter is before the pump, fortunately I had this filter after the pump. It got completely glogged, enough to only let the engine idle. I was able to clean in out right in the middle of the lake and limp home.

superdave013
06-08-2006, 08:02 PM
REALLY, why ??? I read the plasctic ones can actually melt. I've never had any problem at all with the glass one before, have you ?
superdave013: The pump has 1/2" inlet/outlets, but I'm only running a 750 Holley. I didn't think I needed any more than 3/8". Am I losing something by running "wimpy" size fuel line ?
stashtrey: No regulator on mine, and no troubles. Your old pump was just like mine, ready for the scrap heap.
I was not talking about the hose size. The fuel pump ports look like 1/4" NPT in the pics. The ones like that I see come through here always seem to have 1/4" too. I'm sure it's fine for what you are doing. I'm just used to the bigger ones is all. I get all werided out about going lean. It never happens except on the big end right where ya don't want it to.
Stashtrey has a totaly different pump from what I'm thinking and those put out more pressure and should have some type of regulator.