PDA

View Full Version : Mach 22 300PM or 21 skater twin 2.5 carb

stoneman
12-22-2002, 06:04 AM
Decisions,decisions!!!
99 dcb mach 22 single 300 pro max in the mid
30k range or 87 skater 21 with twin 2.5 carb moter's in the upper 20k's? It's a little hard
to lean in one direction or the other having no
ridden in either make or model.
I'am moving out of a 20.2 Baker rst,with a merc
2.5 260. I need something that will handle a little rougher water and give me better acceleration and top end. I will be doing some
occasional skiing,but mostly cruising with the
usual flat out runs.I really like the turning
ability of the baker however ther aren't many
boats that can turn like it.
Thanks in advance!
Stoneman

Charley
12-22-2002, 09:39 AM
boils down to what you want from the boat.... if it's all about which is faster go with the skater it has 2 motors... just bring a wrench with ya it's an 87..... the DCB will be in the 80's and it's been proven to be stable up into the 120's... the DCB should be more reliable (it's newer) it will be roomier it's probably rigged cleaner(thats a probably) and a 15 year old hull might have some real issues (even a skater)... DCB would be my choice unless you wanna see 100 MPH and thats truly important to you.
[ December 22, 2002, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Charley ]

TOBTEK
12-22-2002, 11:22 AM
Charley:
boils down to what you want from the boat.... if it's all about which is faster go with the skater it has 2 motors... just bring a wrench with ya it's an 87..... the DCB will be in the 80's and it's been proven to be stable up into the 120's... the DCB should be more reliable (it's newer) it will be roomier it's probably rigged cleaner(thats a probably) and a 15 year old hull might have some real issues (even a skater)... DCB would be my choice unless you wanna see 100 MPH and thats truly important to you. well said! and VERY P/C charley! :D
The key the the DCB in CT is the motor...IF you can get someone to get that 300pm rebuilt for a reasonable amount of $$$$$$ ! and if you can live with the fact its ONLY been used in salt water :( the guy is very cool who owns it, I also spoke to him. I was very interested in it at one point, I had a bad feeling about the motor with 350+ hours and never rebuilt for around 40K at the time. I would buy the DCB in about one second for say in the VERY LOW 20K's.....infact I still would! and resell it with a fresh motor for mid 40K's :D
[ December 22, 2002, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: TOBTEK ]

Skaterfast
12-22-2002, 12:54 PM
I guess I would be the 1st one to say Skater.But I think the guys are right here.I guess it comes down to the age of the Skater.Nothing beats age when it comes to boats.When I bought my brand new Stoker I didn't touch it for the 4 years I owned it.I bought the Sater (1990 24')reconditioned the whole boat from top to bottom and I still spend a few bucks and hours on it every once in a while.By the way it sounds like the boat your looking for is a 22' Stoker.The Stoker 22 will run circles around anything.Hot boat "a unanimous test team favorite".

TOBTEK
12-22-2002, 01:18 PM
A LITTLE FACT HERE..... the reason the guy is selling this boat is that he now has a Skater with twin 300x's....just a little F Y I :D

mbrown2
12-22-2002, 04:59 PM
The Skater is going to handle rougher better, the DCB is going to turn better and plane better for skiing. The Skater with the twins is going to be quicker. The DCB is going to have better fit and finish and a more user/passenger friendly boat, and the probably going to have better resale value since it is lot newer. If top speed with not alot of turns is your mission, then go with the Skater, if you are looking for something more all around go with the DCB.

Brad Zastrow
01-07-2003, 12:53 PM
I have not personally ridden in either boat but have seen them and the DCB should be the better all around boat. The friends who have owned the 21 Skater have said the baby Skater is a little bit of a hand full, as it tend to lean a lot in the corners. "Scary" is the word I have heard more than once.