PDA

View Full Version : Need a good recipe

MRSDRMCAT
06-08-2006, 05:41 AM
for a carne asada marinade. Thanks in advance :)

voodoomedman
06-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Maybe something you want to try. It was pretty good a couple weeks ago when I did it.
sprinkle the flank with salt, pepper and cilantro then throw it in a big storage ziplock bag.
cut two or three oranges in half. Maybe more depending on how much meat. and squeeze them into the bag and then throw them in there and let that sucker soak overnight.

C-2
06-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Always, always start with the marinated stuff from a Carniceria. El Tapatio has some good over the counter stuff. Just go in there and point to it, don't be scared!
---
Garlic Powder (not Garlic Salt)
Kosher salt/fresh cracked black pepper
Mikes Hard Lemonade
Maybe a couple of Lemons ~ depends if you like citrus taste
In the alternative, Sunny Delight
Onions/Bell Peppers to make it look nice, but they cook away
-----
Marinade overnight. If you do it with lemons, or use them while cooking -- don't be scared when you see the meat is still red (it will still be cooked).
WARNING
You use the above simple recipe - and you will be invited to every party in existence -- and expected to cook! :220v: :220v: :220v:

MRSDRMCAT
06-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Always, always start with the marinated stuff from a Carniceria. El Tapatio has some good over the counter stuff. Just go in there and point to it, don't be scared!
---
Mikes Hard Lemonade
-----
Marinade overnight. If you do it with lemons, or use them while cooking -- don't be scared when you see the meat is still red (it will still be cooked).
WARNING
You use the above simple recipe - and you will be invited to every party in existence -- and expected to cook! :220v: :220v: :220v:
Where is El tapatio??? And are you suggesting to by the marinade from there instead of the above recipe? I have about 10 pounds a skirt steak to cook. Thanks

9er
06-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Here's what I do--
In a medium stock pot
10 lbs flank-type steak from Costco, cut very thin with the grain
1/2 gallon tequila
1 gallon orange juice
4 garlic cloves, crushed
8 oranges halved and squeezed
4-6 limes halved and squeezed
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons black pepper
Be sure you have enough liquid to cover the meat. If not, add more tequila!!
Chill in a cooler on ice for a day or so.
Then I package it in 2 lb. freezer bags. Throw one in the cooler Friday, BBQ it Saturday at the river.
Free samples Fathers Day weekend at Big River!!!!!

callbob4homes
06-08-2006, 06:20 AM
those recipes sound pretty good, but I buy mine from a little mom and pop max market out in the middle of nowhere here. They have prepared marinade in a gallon jug ( I need to get the name off it) It is excellent, but better if you buy today and let it sit in ref a day or two. They pour the marinade in after weighing the meat. Aztc lives close to this store I believe.

C-2
06-08-2006, 06:23 AM
If you already have your meat, just use the marinade recipe. If you have true skirt steak (the real grainy looking stuff), you might also add a little MSG (Accent, comes in a little white salt-looking container, in the spice section) to soften it up a bit. Make sure you marinade it nice and long and cut it against the grain after cooking.
Mike's works great on regular skirt steak too - in fact that's the only way i cook it. Alcohol on meat is a good thing :)
There's an El Tapatio at the corner of Magnolia/Rimpau, a stones throw off the 15.
Have fun and you have been warned!!!!

River918
06-08-2006, 06:41 AM
One question, "When do we eat?"

Mrs 2LKHVSU
06-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Costco! :)

MRSDRMCAT
06-08-2006, 06:54 AM
One question, "When do we eat?"
Take off Friday night and get your azz over here!!

jbone
06-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Believe it or not, but some of the best carne asada from taco stands in tj and taco shops here is not marinated. It gets its flavor from cooking on high heat over real wood charcoal. The big chunky stuff. It gives a real good flavor.
But most of us these days have the huge click and light gas bbq's. Then just find a hole in the wall mexican butcher shop and have them hook you up.
Good luck.
J

Phat Matt
06-08-2006, 08:04 AM
You want quick and easy? Go to Stater Bros and on top off the meat counter grab a big container of seasoning called "Carne". It has a red top. Then go get some Sunny Delight. Throw the meat in a bag, dump in the Sunny D, pour in the seasoning, mix it around and throw it i the fridge.
Now go make me some tacos. :)
The same recipe works great for chicken too. Ask anyone who had my chicken taco in the channel over memorial. :eat:
I got this recipe from a real Mexican, so it must be good. :rollside:

probablecause
06-08-2006, 08:27 AM
You want quick and easy? Go to Stater Bros and on top off the meat counter grab a big container of seasoning called "Carne". It has a red top. Then go get some Sunny Delight. Throw the meat in a bag, dump in the Sunny D, pour in the seasoning, mix it around and throw it i the fridge.
:rollside:
Exactly!!!! Also, A friend turned me onto this website (http://www.sweatnspice.com/435-23.htm) for seasonings.

Mrs. River918
06-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Now go make me some tacos. :)
The same recipe works great for chicken too. Ask anyone who had my chicken taco in the channel over memorial. :eat:
I got this recipe from a real Mexican, so it must be good. :rollside:
Albertsons has something very similiar..I think it is called carne meat marinade. Just ask the butcher what they recommend. Every store seems to be different.

River918
06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Albertsons has something very similiar..I think it is called carne meat marinade. Just ask the butcher what they recommend. Every store seems to be different.
That's a nice number of posts you have.... :crossx:

Phat Matt
06-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Time for a new screen name. That one needs to be retired. :p

a catered life
06-08-2006, 09:29 AM
---
Mikes Hard Lemonade
-----
WARNING
add some cilantro and green onions and i give a thumbs up to this one especially the powder part i hate people who use salt and the more salt
forget the sunny delight stuff to sweet and doesnt have enough real citrus juice to penetrate meat

catman-do
06-08-2006, 09:37 AM
If you want the best meat marinade, get "Very Very Terriyaki" they sell it at Ralphs and I marinade that with some wafer thin slices of meat and some cooking salt. That shiot is good!! Marinade it overnight and you will have the best meat, and best of all its quick and easy. (if you like terriyaki sauce)

Mrs. River918
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Did you see the lady in my signature...That's for you!!!! :p
GET TO WORK!!!

me4drvr
06-08-2006, 10:04 AM
If you like the pre-prepared stuff and live in Corona, there is a little carniceria on North side of 6th street. Don't know the name, but it is across the street from the Bank of America east of Main, they have it fresh at the butcher counter. Make sure to get the fresh tortilla's and chips. They also prepare a mean guacamole and salsa.

Boy Named Sue
06-12-2006, 10:00 PM
---
Mikes Hard Lemonade
-----
WARNING
This looks promising. I agree with acatered life about the salt and the sweetness. It has all the basics, good seasoning, an acid, some sugar, and of course alcohol. Above all, simplicity! I think the lemon juice is the kick ass acid to use. The Mike's provides the alky and sugar.
acl the cilantro is a nice touch. I think I would like it with or without.
Just added a bookmark. :rollside:

DRMCAT
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-2
---
Mikes Hard Lemonade
-----
WARNING
You use the above simple recipe - and you will be invited to every party in existence -- and expected to cook!
add some cilantro and green onions and i give a thumbs up to this one especially the powder part i hate people who use salt and the more salt
forget the sunny delight stuff to sweet and doesnt have enough real citrus juice to penetrate meat
We used this on some nice flank steak and it was fantastic. Thanks for the info. Don't think I will buy pre-marinated again, as well as this turned out.

a catered life
06-13-2006, 07:14 AM
so you mean to tell me after all that i wasnt invited :cry: