PDA

View Full Version : Kite Tubing

BoatFloating
06-08-2006, 09:25 AM
When we were ay Lake Mojave last weekend we say a guy doing it and it looked cool but time to re-think that idea. Come to find out that many people have been seriously hurt doing it. Lake Powell has had 4 in the last week alone and are considering a ban on them. I not a big ban it fan just FYI.
Couple links
Video Go to Page 4 "Injuries Add Up, Lake Powell Considering a ban"
Kite Tubing (http://kutv.com/video)
Web Site Talking about it.
Waynes Word Powell (http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wwlprecreation.pl?read=6009)

WYRD
06-08-2006, 09:31 AM
That was very cool to watch last weekend, but there is no way in hell my kids are ever gonna do that. We will stick to tubing the old fashoned way, in the WATER! :idea: :cool:

Cole Sanger
06-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I can't believe so many people are crying about these. I have one, and it is only as unsafe as you make it. Boats can go 100+ but the kite tube is dangerous?

HM
06-08-2006, 10:05 AM
When we were ay Lake Mojave last weekend we say a guy doing it and it looked cool but time to re-think that idea. Come to find out that many people have been seriously hurt doing it. Lake Powell has had 4 in the last week alone and are considering a ban on them. I not a big ban it fan just FYI.
Couple links
Video Go to Page 4 "Injuries Add Up, Lake Powell Considering a ban"
Kite Tubing (http://kutv.com/video)
Web Site Talking about it.
Waynes Word Powell (http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wwlprecreation.pl?read=6009)
Will your new pontoon go fast enought to pull one of these in the air?

Dave C
06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
don't do it... a buddy of ours wrecked himself.
It was ironic that us couch-potatos of the group said no f-ing way to that tube and that someone was going to get hurt.....
then after that, bang, he got hurt..... :yuk:

dmontzsta
06-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I love to go tubing, but I would not attempt one of those. It may look cool and sound fun, but the water is not soft.

lalhc
06-08-2006, 10:53 AM
There's no way I would allow my boys to ride on something like that.

Jack Black
06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
We have one of these and they really aren't that bad AS LONG as you have a driver that is on the ball. When you hit a breeze head on, you will shoot up in the air, but if the driver backs off the throttle quickly or sees the breeze coming by reading the water, you will not get to an unsafe height. On the other hand, if you have an inexperienced or distracted driver, you can get in trouble in a hurry. The directional video says that the driver is who controls the height it is very true. Just my .02

BoatFloating
06-08-2006, 12:45 PM
We have one of these and they really aren't that bad AS LONG as you have a driver that is on the ball. When you hit a breeze head on, you will shoot up in the air, but if the driver backs off the throttle quickly or sees the breeze coming by reading the water, you will not get to an unsafe height. On the other hand, if you have an inexperienced or distracted driver, you can get in trouble in a hurry. The directional video says that the driver is who controls the height it is very true. Just my .02
Don't get me wrong I don't think they shold be banned but I think people need to be informed. At the Dam Run we saw a guy doing it and thought how cool would it be to have one of those on our Lake Powell trip coming up. My boy whos 8 said get one So I looked at Overtons and they were $499 :2purples: So that price kinda talked me out of it too. But the description said for 12+ years and over 100lbs and not for over 200lbs. Well that not my fat ass and my boy's skinny ass from that plan. Then I saw thr thread over at Waynes Word and thought wow that thing could cause some pain and damage. I can see someone just buying one and 80% of the people wouldn't even read the directions let alone waych video hell I can't tell you the last time I fully read directions. So they hop in it and the drivers how cool I'll hit the gas and my buddy will go 60' in the air and not think twice because that's what we do when one of my buddies hops on a tube you want to see him wipe out. Well this might me a little different boat speed+gravity speed and your hitting the water at 60 mph it's going to leave a mark. You see the guys vest ripped torn rib cartlidge 2 rumptured ear drums later and it didn't look that bad in the video. I can see my boy 60lbs being wisked away into a canyon wall in a blink of an eye so it's not for us now. Your right about the driver controling the scene kinda like a Parasail same concept but the passenger in a Pairsail kind floats down as opposed to crash landing on the tube... Just some food for thought..... :)

david_396
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
kinda like a Parasail same concept but the passenger in a Pairsail kind floats down as opposed to crash landing on the tube... Just some food for thought..... :)
My first parasail experience was a hard crash into the water. We din't start directly into the wind. When the sail caught the croos wind I was turned sidways and driven(flew??) into the water from about 100 feet high. :cry:

Red Horse
06-08-2006, 01:06 PM
If you start off slow and LEARN something about what you are doing instead of hitting the gas and going 40 I am sure there would be far less injuries. :cool:

phebus
06-08-2006, 01:08 PM
If you start off slow and LEARN something about what you are doing instead of hitting the gas and going 40 I am sure there would be far less injuries. :cool:
Where is the fun in that? :rollside:
(said by the guy that has had five surgeries in about six years)
Put me on that thing........Hit it...... :rollside:

Speedin' Ian
06-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Come on guys, we got people on these boards cruising down the river on the weekends at 100+ with their family in the boat and this is unsafe! Just like everything else (including) fast boats, it's as safe as you make it. Doing a 100+ down the river isn't bad if done safely, likewise these kites are safe if used correctly. Dmontzsta I know you're building a circle boat and I don't know what kind of power you plan on putting in that thing, but with decent power it will be more dangerous than a kite tube.

burtandnancy
06-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Over on the LV Hot boat site they are reporting some injuries this week at Lake Powell. Looks to me like it would require more than casual skill by the boat driver...

superdave013
06-08-2006, 01:35 PM
If my dad had something like that when we were kids either my brother or myself would be dead. Tubing was bad enough as we both tried our best to hurt each other every time. Did you know that cat tails hurt like a mother focker when ya get whipped through them as fast as an old Starcraft would go?

Her454
06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
If my dad had something like that when we were kids either my brother or myself would be dead. Tubing was bad enough as we both tried our best to hurt each other every time. Did you know that cat tails hurt like a mother focker when ya get whipped through them as fast as an old Starcraft would go?
As a matter of fact, yes I do - they hurt like hell. :cry:

Tom Brown
06-08-2006, 01:45 PM
I bought a kite tube this past winter. It looks like a ton of fun.
I'll certainly be giving it a try as soon as summer arrives. :cool:

AzLakeLizard
06-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Kite tubing injuries on Lake Powell a worry
By CYNDY COLE
Sun Staff Reporter
Thursday, June 8, 2006 11:18 AM CDT
A large, disc-like inflatable tube that lets water recreationists 'take flight' on Lake Powell is also leading to emergency room trips.
One product retailer is saying the new toy towed behind boats at Lake Powell lets riders "fly through the air like a bird... reaching incredible new heights."
After four injuries this summer in which riders were also flown to the hospital, the National Park Service is warning that the kite-like device is causing broken bones and comparing the new sport to cliff jumping, which is prohibited.
The toys are round, inflatable discs about 10 feet in diameter that are pulled behind boats. The rider lies flat on top of them as the boat gets going, then sometimes soars into the air at 45-degree angle, half-standing on them, shifting the body weight back away from the boat with a yank. There are footholds and handles.
It's like riding on top of a big, inflatable disc.
"The slightest movement by the user to upset the balance will cause it to tumble into the water," recreation area spokesman Kevin Schneider said.
Videos on Web sites that sell the Kite Tube for about $600 show one rider hanging half-on, half-off, legs dangling. In other clips, riders appear to soar 10 or 20 feet above the water on the disc, which has a skull and crossbones logo on the underside.
Four people have been flown out of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area with injuries after riding Kite Tubes.
"This is the first time we've actually seen them in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area," Schneider said.
Friday, a 29-year-old man from St. George was about 35 or 40 feet in the air, being pulled at 35 or 40 miles per hour when he fell. His neck was broken. He was the third person in his group that day to be hurt, though the other injuries in his group were considered minor.
On Saturday, a 14-year-old girl form Texas fell from the kite 10-15 feet and was knocked unconscious when she hit the water.
"In some ways this is similar to cliff jumping, because you have a person falling into the water at a high distance and relatively high rate of speed," Schneider said. He added riders are not in control of how they hit the water.
Cliff jumping was banned across Lake Powell last year. The Park Service has made posters -- they can be found taped up in convenience stores near the lake -- out of a video of one man who jumped off a cliff and was never seen alive again. His friends were holding the video camera.
The Park Service is allowing the new devices, but is reviewing accidents as they happen.
A ban on Kite Tubes would be within the park's authority, Schneider said.

Her454
06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
No way in hell would I let my kid ride that thing NOR would I tow one behind my boat and be liable. I'll stick to the old fashioned way.

Flying Tiger
06-08-2006, 02:22 PM
We were in Parker last week and saw several of them.
I pull kids on Tubes and wakeboards all day long along the Parker strip.
They look like fun.
I talked to one girl on the Emerald beach who hurt her shoulder on their kite.
I think you can avoid getting injured on the flying tubes/kites by letting go when it goes Apes#it rather than hang on and do a face plant or body plant.
The injuries come from hanging on at the wrong time and rider and tube/kite impact the water together at an angle ya don't want.
In other words, the trick is knowing when to let go if a bad landing is about to happen.

Her454
06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I think you can avoid getting injured on the flying tubes/kites by letting go when it goes Apes#it rather than hang on and do a face plant or body plant.
The injuries come from hanging on at the wrong time and rider and tube/kite impact the water together at an angle ya don't want.
In other words, the trick is knowing when to let go if a bad landing is about to happen.
Exactly, and I think if I were that high in the air I sure the hell wouldn't let go-I'd hold on out of panic, so I wouldnt expect any kids Im pulling to do any different. I think the natural instict is to hold on.

Cole Sanger
06-08-2006, 02:52 PM
The guy that broke his neck should thank the driver for that. It is not the Sport Stuff's fault. They give you an instructional video with the purchase, along with one on their site. Then, on the thing, their must be 20 warnings. The driver going 30-40 with the guy 30-40 feet in the air is an idiot. You only have to get going about 15-20 to get a guy 200 pounds 10 feet easily. Trust me, at 10 feet you are high enough to be scared. The object is to stay about 2 feet up for as long as you can. Once you can do that, then maybe a little more air would be ok. Personally, I am working on the 2 feet thing and someday I want to work up to a barrel roll. That will be a couple of years out.

bohica
06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Hmmm, buddy just got one delivered to the house for our Powell trip next week.

77charger
06-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I definitely want to buy one just need to find the sapre money for it.Everything is dangerous in one way or another.thats what makes it exciting IMO.

raff
06-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I took this off one of the other boards:
*********** WARNING *********** I'm so sorry to report this but all of you who care about your body (specifically your spinal area ) need to read this story that happened to my brother in law yesterday afternoon at Lake Powell.
He was on this kite tube that incidentally I had ordered last week , and was going along fine being towed at 30-35 MPH, and approx 15' in the air when a gust of wind took him for the ride of his life (literally). He spiraled donwward hitting the water neck first.
Bottomline it is a miracle (doctors words) that he is alive. He BROKE his C2 (remember Christopher Reeve)in his neck and currently has a cage around his head called a halo to prevent movement that he will have to wear for at least 3 months. His mobility will never be the same and all of you dummys that think your too tough to have this happen to him think about how it will feel to have the Doctor standing over you with a Cordless Drill and a 1/4" drill bit that you would normally use to fix the house up but instead he is drilling into your all important brain. (huh makes you think about it a little more..........) THIS IS REAL PEOPLE AND THIS COMPANY WILL GO DOWN FOR THIS. WE LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT LITAGATION PROVIDES NEGATIVE RESULTS FOR COMPANIES THAT MANUFACTUR ITEMS THAT HURT PEOPLE.

Jbb
06-08-2006, 04:09 PM
I took this off one of the other boards:
*********** WARNING *********** I'm so sorry to report this but all of you who care about your body (specifically your spinal area ) need to read this story that happened to my brother in law yesterday afternoon at Lake Powell.
He was on this kite tube that incidentally I had ordered last week , and was going along fine being towed at 30-35 MPH, and approx 15' in the air when a gust of wind took him for the ride of his life (literally). He spiraled donwward hitting the water neck first.
Bottomline it is a miracle (doctors words) that he is alive. He BROKE his C2 (remember Christopher Reeve)in his neck and currently has a cage around his head called a halo to prevent movement that he will have to wear for at least 3 months. His mobility will never be the same and all of you dummys that think your too tough to have this happen to him think about how it will feel to have the Doctor standing over you with a Cordless Drill and a 1/4" drill bit that you would normally use to fix the house up but instead he is drilling into your all important brain. (huh makes you think about it a little more..........) THIS IS REAL PEOPLE AND THIS COMPANY WILL GO DOWN FOR THIS. WE LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT LITAGATION PROVIDES NEGATIVE RESULTS FOR COMPANIES THAT MANUFACTUR ITEMS THAT HURT PEOPLE.
The company will go down for this........because they were too stupid to read and follow the directions and warnings..?

raff
06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Like I said I just took if from here:
http://boards.trailerboats.com/cgi-bin/trailerboats/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000266

Perfect Mixer
06-08-2006, 04:26 PM
That thing is scary :crossx: . Anyone for lawn darts??? :messedup:

Relaxalot
06-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Kite tubes are fun until someone gets hurt.......
Seriously, one of my friends was busted up on one. He was up in the air, got unstable and came down fast on the tube and had some rib damage. He is about 225 lbs.
He won't get on it again...... you decide.

Flying Tiger
06-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Exactly, and I think if I were that high in the air I sure the hell wouldn't let go-I'd hold on out of panic, so I wouldnt expect any kids Im pulling to do any different. I think the natural instict is to hold on.
yep,, there it is,, too many grey areas,, Your vacation might end as soon as it just starts.

Essexive G's
06-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Saw a guy @ Parker in front of the Rio on Memorial weekend who was about 6 ft. in the air, and flipped over into the water. Knocked him out.
Came back that Monday, watched a story on channel 2 news about another one at Parker where the kite was in the air and drifted to the right into the path of a boat coming the opposite direction.
1st story was an accident, 2nd story, stupidity.

JetBoatRich
06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
At the speeds and height :rolleyes: a lot more people will be hurt :mad:
I saw the boat Saturday at Cottonwood Cove they were moving good and the kite was catching a lot of air :rolleyes: mixed this with alcohol :mad:

Tom Brown
06-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a pretty stiff learning curve on this thing. Parker is probably not the best place for one. Drifting into an uncoming boat sounds a bit unnerving.
Is that what your Mom told you? What a pussy. :yuk:

Tom Brown
06-08-2006, 08:09 PM
My Mom also bought a kite tube for her grandchildren to use. Sure, she did so based on my advice and sure, she has no idea what it's about but the point is she's not a fraidycat like you. I'm sure that, had she been in the marines, she would have been a unit leader because she wouldn't have always been saying, "Ooooo... we can't do that.... it's too dangerous. Gee..... that gun could go off and hurt someone... are you sure it's wise to carry it?"

Tom Brown
06-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Oh... I'll be doing it. ... and when I'm finished with the tube, I'll wipe the snot from your nose and send you to bed without supper.

superdave013
06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
The company will go down for this........because they were too stupid to read and follow the directions and warnings..?
yeah prolly so. Even if the company wins a law suite they still have to buck up to defend themselves.
That very thing happened where I used to race DH mountain bikes. Guy signed the waiver and entered a race. Got hurt and sued everyone. The mountain resort did win the case but spent so much money on the defence they just shut the entire program down for good.
I could see something like this putting someone out of biz real quick.

Tom Brown
06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Not sure I'm following along with you, probably because you've been drinking or something. You're going to wipe snot from my nose? That would be super.
What are you?..... a booger eater? :confused:
Try to keep up. :D

Tom Brown
06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Labatt Lite. :cool:
:D :D :D

Tom Brown
06-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Even lite Canadian beer is like moonshine. :D
If my Mom caught me drinking lite beer she would scold the hell out of me, "Lite beer? ..... you still like girls though, don't you?"

Cole Sanger
06-09-2006, 08:51 AM
yeah prolly so. Even if the company wins a law suite they still have to buck up to defend themselves.
That very thing happened where I used to race DH mountain bikes. Guy signed the waiver and entered a race. Got hurt and sued everyone. The mountain resort did win the case but spent so much money on the defence they just shut the entire program down for good.
I could see something like this putting someone out of biz real quick.
Normally I would agree, but with all of the products they have out there, I bet they have some really good lawyers. You have to remember, this is not their first product. Every product they sell has the potential for injury or death if used improperly. All they would have to show is that the driver was going too fast, or that the person was under the influence, or whatever the case may be. My guess is that they are used to people sueing, and they know how to protect themself.

Kilrtoy
06-12-2006, 12:37 AM
That is just plain nuts

Red Horse
06-12-2006, 03:07 AM
All these sue happy sons of bitches out there. It is assumption of risk man. You assume a risk willingly. You wanted to fly and Sportstuff just made your dream a reality. This is why insurance and the like is so damn high. Lets go pull someone 40 MPH 30 feet in the air and watch him crash... Oh wait, he is hurt, lets sue someone!!
Dont forget to sue Bayliner for making the boat go that fast, NPS for providing access to the lake, how about the oil companys for selling you the gas to put in your boat. DOnt forget the clerk at the gas station. Hey, wait a minute, your parents didnt really do their job by not instilling any kind of common sense in you. LEts sue them as well.
Maybe some of us should sue you for being stupid
I am sorry to hear about the BIL. Who was pulling him? Maybe he needs to be sued? :220v: