PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Vents

hbpdub
06-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Should I vent my tanks or not? They came without vents originally but I have seen many with vents, what are the advantages or dissadvantages to venting the tanks?

victorfb
06-08-2006, 10:18 AM
most filler caps are vented unless they are the screw in type. definatly run a vent. the heat will cause pressure in the tanks and pour fuel down the carb/s. not to mention other dangers aswell. either a vented cap, or a vent tube to a bulkhead fitting outside the boat is a must.

FASTRAT
06-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Should I vent my tanks or not? They came without vents originally but I have seen many with vents, what are the advantages or dissadvantages to venting the tanks?
yssss...definately vent the tanks
fastrat

flat broke
06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
If your tanks don't have vents, your fill caps are probably vented. If it ain't broken, no sense messing with. If you feel that you need more airflow back to the tanks depending on what kind of fills you have, you can typically add additional vent holes to increase the amount of air that can pass.
Chris

hbpdub
06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the input, I checked with the manufacturer of my fuel fills and although they are not the screw in type they are not vented. So I will be installing some vent tubes. :crossx:

flat broke
06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the input, I checked with the manufacturer of my fuel fills and although they are not the screw in type they are not vented. So I will be installing some vent tubes. :crossx:
So you're going to have to drill holes in your gas tank and weld in some bungs or tubes? Post a pic of your fuel fill. Most of the billet jobs as well as the flip up deals can be made to vent. In most cases its not hard and is probably easier that even dicking with getting the tanks out.
Chris