PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat steering

MISSING
06-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I need to replace my steering system in my boat, but can't find anything comparable. It had about a 12" polished bezel/helm (whatever its called) and I'd like to get that look again, as i don't think the standard Teleflex or other generic system would look/fit right. Anyone know where I can find something like this online? Thanks

olbiezer
06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
not for sure but rex marine and other online catalogs have alot of stuff in there......i think its rexmar.com not sure

IMPATIENT 1
06-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Rex Has Bezels That Cover The Ugly Parts Of Teleflex Systems,they Look Really Nice,have Seen Alot Of Them On Boat Pics Here.35 Bucks Or So.

jbone
06-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Is it a rack system. With my recent cable replacement, the rack bolted to the steering column. The helm remained as is.
Take a look. If it is a rack system, there will be 4 bolts connecting the sealed rack and cable to the steering column.
J

MISSING
06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Wow, well checked out REXMAR.com, and found out what I had...a CALGO system. Unfortunately when I got the boat, the cables were seized, and to get it out I cut the cables but was still having a lot of difficulty getting it out. I had taken out every possible bolt, didn't SEEM to be any set screws, but still couldn't get it out... so I tried hammering out the steering shaft, which popped the back off the system and threw out the gears...seemed like a good idea at the time, but it still stayed solid as a rock in the dash...whoops...anyways, after consulting with someone with a little more patience, the set screw was found and it dropped out. I still have all the pieces so I will call and see about the possibility of getting it rebuilt, needed a new cable anyways, and had been advised that the dual cable system was no good anyways. Thankfully during the beating I gave it I didn't destroy anything, or so I think...got my fingers crossed...lesson learned