PDA

View Full Version : Prop Help!! 2003 Eliminator Daytona 26

Tony B
08-11-2003, 08:03 AM
My buddy just took delivery of his 2003 Daytona 26. He has a 1000HP Blown 540 in it. We need advise on the best prop for this set up. 1.50 gears with a B-max drive. The boat needs more low end bit. He is running a 34 Bravo 1 four blade on it now. I think he needs a five blade to get out of the whole better. Anyone???????

25 Eagle
08-11-2003, 08:21 AM
Call Kevin...R&R Prop Shop Henderson NV

Tony B
08-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Does he have a web site or, a # ??

Craig
08-11-2003, 09:47 AM
You might want to give Hydromotive a call. I've talked with them a couple of times and they're always full of good info. They're at (330)425-4266
Craig

dorC
08-11-2003, 10:01 AM
A hydro will proably slip or even blowout when a bravo will grab. If he's having plaing problems with a bravo, then he might not even get on plane with a hydro. He may need to look at lower his x-dimension. This can be done with spacers. Another way to do it is with an extension box. When the bow rises up, it forces the drive in deeper to help with planing. You can still have some pretty significant slippage when the boat starts tipping over though. The other option is to have some additional cup added to the prop. This will help keep the blades loaded. The cup would only be added to the tips. If it's added to the root of the blade, then the prop will really grab when comming out of the hole and bog the engine. If the boat is just slow to plane because the engine is bogging, then try taking a little pitch out of the prop. This is done exactly the opposite of adding cup. The pitch would be taken out of the very root of the blade. When the boat is running at speed, this portion of the prop doesn't do a whole lot, so there should only be a slight loss. He can also try drilling some holes in his prop. If the the prop has the large through hub (ie not an over hub) he can then drill it for venting. Look at some of the mercury props for the exactly location of the hole. Try to match the merc hole size too. That way you can use the plugs to dial the hole size in. The -6 guys would use this trick if they had through hub exhaust. Its for this reason that they run the tubes for the cavitation plate to above the water surface.

mbrown2
08-11-2003, 11:44 AM
dorC:
A hydro will proably slip or even blowout when a bravo will grab. Not to hijack, but why does the Hydro slip or blowout.... I found this true on a DCB Mach 26, we ran a 4-blade Bravo 30, and wanted to try a Hydro 4-blade 28, and found the Hydro did not want to hook up? The hydro and the Bravo prop were non-labbed..

Blown Lavey
08-11-2003, 12:22 PM
I would reccomed a hydro 5 blade as it really helped plaining (sp) with our cat.

Tony B
08-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the help. I will rely it to my buddy. Blown Lavey, did the five blade hurt your topend any??? What pitch is your setup??

Blown Lavey
08-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Maybe a mile slower topend wise but much better plaining and crusie as well as acceleration.

Tony B
08-12-2003, 01:35 PM
What pitch and size are you running??

Blown Lavey
08-12-2003, 04:21 PM
1.5 ratio with a 30 non labbed with diffuser ring, hyrdromotive reccomened dropping one size from the 32 bravo I was running.

dorC
08-13-2003, 09:26 AM
I BELIEVE that it has to do with the way the blade is shaped. The cup on a hydro does not continue around the tip of the blade like a bravo 1 does. So when the prop is planing out it will grab air and unload it's self. Theory would then suggest that a cleaver would be just as bad if not worse. Note that I said theory, 'cause have never tried a cleaver.

Whipple Charged
08-13-2003, 05:28 PM
The 5 blade Heiring and 5 blade Hydro will increase plaining ability, hands down. Your mid, accel will also increase. You will need to drop 3 pitches to have the same rpm range as a Bravo One non labbed propeller.
The 5 blade props are 15.5-15.75 in dia. vs. the 15.25" of the 4 blade Bravo. As for top speed, it will depend on the boat and X dimension. Really high X's will run faster with the 5 blade, conservative X's will run slightly slower. The most I've seen to date slower is 2mph and the fastest was 7mph. V bottoms respond very well because it helps the boat from chining, cats vary.
I run the 36 pitch Heirings 5 blades on mine and love them, with my high X, it's the only prop that would get the boat on plane, and thats with a center trim tab.
Thanks,
Dustin

Rock-it man
08-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Wheres the x dim.I have an 03 datona 26 with the new imco 4x4 drive at 1.25 my last trip out at havasu at 115 deg ran 119.2 with a lab bravo 4 blade.my x is set the drive shaft center is even with the lowest point of the sponsons in the back,motor is set right now at 1000 hp and will be raising the boost on my next trip out FYI
ROCKIT MAN