PDA

View Full Version : what spark plug to start out with??

bighead
06-08-2006, 12:32 PM
I will soon be installing a set of 049 heads on a basically stock hardin marine BBC 325hp version. It currently has the smog peanut heads on it and the cam is probably factory also, I will be running a RPM airgap with a holley marine 750 vac secondary carb. What I would like to get info on is what spark plug would be a good starting point for this combo?? Oh it has a dual point with super stock coil for ignition.

FASTRAT
06-08-2006, 03:41 PM
I will soon be installing a set of 049 heads on a basically stock hardin marine BBC 325hp version. It currently has the smog peanut heads on it and the cam is probably factory also, I will be running a RPM airgap with a holley marine 750 vac secondary carb. What I would like to get info on is what spark plug would be a good starting point for this combo?? Oh it has a dual point with super stock coil for ignition.
i would run NGK: BPR4ES or BPR5ES...good choice for manif & carb...i would chng the cam & run the Comp Cams 270H or 280H hyd (non roller)...both good cams...i would get rid of the points distributer & run a stock HEI & lock out the advance...far less trouble (no points to set)...this is basically what i run in my 427 BBC except for the carb (Edelbrock 800) & ign (i run a mag)...this would really wake the mtr up...also...gasket match the manif to the heads...just my .02 cents
fastrat
p.s. i have a real good friend who lives in Browns Valley & 1 who lives in Yuba City

junkyardhunter
06-08-2006, 07:59 PM
how do you lock out the advance on an HEI, and what does it do.

Hallett19
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Run Denso's, those little bastards rock !