PDA

View Full Version : Cat turning ?

x7734x
06-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey this is my first cat I was wondering about high speed turning. I heard about trimming down significantly on a cat when turning. Is this true? I'm going to take it easy for sure but wanted maybe some pointers/tips if you are all willing to share.
Thanks,
Brian
Here is a pic 2000 25' Eliminator Daytona

Jetdriver
06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I just saw that boat in the trader. Good luck with the new sled

phebus
06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
When I got my cat, I was trimming down, and turning. Some of the experienced drivers suggested a more neutral trim while turning. They said it would turn better, with less chance of hooking a sponson.
Tried it, on my cat, it worked great. I think all boats are different though, so I suggest going out and trying all different things at different speeds.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
I have heard the same as Phebus, neutral trim to turn.

riverracerx
06-08-2006, 02:44 PM
any difference in the theory between a center pod and a true tunnel?

pleasantcat
06-08-2006, 02:45 PM
sweet daytona! i never trimmed in at speed unles i was in rough. i only had a hard time at 40-45 twice and i spunout both times. damn jet skis cuting in front of me :mad: above 90mph i would turn slow and very wide. above 55-60 it will lean in on turns and feel very stable. you've got the best 25' cat ever designed i.m.o. and after time you will feel very confident in it. enjoy!!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
06-08-2006, 02:46 PM
For clarification, the people I spoke with owned center pods.

3:30dirty
06-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I like a more neutral trim on my 25. Plan your turns. Go wide. Practice , practice, practice. Its pretty easy to get in to trouble with these boats!

pleasantcat
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
DAY AND NIGHT! my daytona (center pod or tunnel) handled all together different.

grahamgilly123
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
DAY AND NIGHT! my daytona (center pod or tunnel) handled all together different.
Sean,
What ever you do don’t trim all the way down on that A/O when turning hard in chop –you’ll drop a sponson and barrel roll it.

acatitude
06-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Dont know what you mean by high speed but id start wide turns about 50 w/ nuetral trim(works best )or even a little up trim and increase speed and decrease circumfrance of turns as you go.. dont panic if the back feels like it wants to slide or bounce a little, but that does mean your getting close. just be careful when you turn you dont stick your inside sponson into a wake or wave... no fun. yu will see how low your inside sponson is on turns and can adjust trim.... I kinda like my sponsons up a little just to be sure. there all different as mine doesnt lean in at all like pleasent cat stated his did..mine feels more like it wants to barrel roll out(maybe I have my trim to high) but my howard is very heavy and kinda settles down in the water. good luck nice looking sled

Dave C
06-09-2006, 08:07 AM
I got a 25 daytona. See post above.
Use neutral to some trim up.
Do not turn "quickly/sharply" at speeds above 45mph. If you need to turn sharply then slow down.
gradual turns at high speed are OK. You will feel the slide which is normal.
You need to plan ahead when driving at high rates of speed. I pick a route and do very gradual S-turns.
I tend to slow down to 40-50 when confronted with a lot of traffic or lake lice.

Robbie Racer
06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Great topic. My Carrera leans to the outside on turns at speeds below 50 or so and at 60 and above it either leans inside a little or is flat in the turns. It actually feels the best making sweeping turns around 60-70 (in fairly smooth water) with neutral trim. The rear end feels like it is starting to spin out a little but it seems to be controllable. I have made slight turns maybe 30 degrees at 100 but I'm not sure what happens in turns much above that speed and so far haven't had the stones to try any turns above 100.

Dave C
06-09-2006, 08:13 AM
The 25 daytona will "sometimes" lean inwards in the turn, which is optimal but you must set up the turn correctly. It takes some practice.
If it leans outward, there is nothing you can do in the turn to correct it but it still feels stable.

Kilrtoy
06-09-2006, 09:12 AM
You should find an experienced driver and have them teach you, Cats can be tricky and a whole new game

HTM CHRIS
06-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey guys this is a great web sight Iam the new guy having trouble getting water too the exhaust Iam new too a out drive boat I thought I was careful in low water and sucked up sand and small amounts of rocks but the water impeller is fine blown all water lines out and even blown water out the imput line too the out drive Iam I missing some thing Ive got a 2002 htm sr 24 555/ supercharged HELP !!!!!!!

phebus
06-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Wow, that was a long sentence!!! :)

Havasu47
06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
You should find an experienced driver and have them teach you, Cats can be tricky and a whole new game
Good advice...
Cats are not circle race boats. Always turn at a reduced speed. With twins you can use throttles to help.
Get someone that has a lot of cat experience to teach you. One mistake can be disasterous!

airpacker
06-26-2006, 04:49 AM
You picked a great cat to start with. With over 300hrs seat time in a 25 daytona, I can tell you that practice and seat time/experience will greatly increase your confidence turning that hull. The boat really has two very distinct turning characters at different speeds. High speed turns ( when running on the back part of the hull) are best described as a "drift" around the corner. Wide and flat. Mid speed turns( when the front of the hull is settled into the water) can be very agressive if you pay close attention to what the hull is telling you it's doing. Applying more throttle from the apex out ward on your turn will allow you to really rip a turn hard if needed, but not at high speed.
The 25 has a tendency to pivot at the step if turned too hard. It will quickly drop the outside sponson and hook if over turned. You don't want to go there :)
Watching the top of the outside sponson in relation to the horizon is a great visible indicator of what the hull is doing. Pushed to NEAR the edge of turning capability, the sponson will give a little drop or two, kinda like an advanced warning to let off the turn a little.
Start easy and remember, you need to learn two different ways to turn that hull. Turning on the front of the hull when the inside face of the inside sponson acts like a keel( very high grip ) and drift turning on the back of the hull when very little grip other than what the drive provides is available. Never try to turn the boat hard if you're bouincing through waves or wakes. That will bite you.
Be careful, learn the hull's character and enjoy it, its a great boat