PDA

View Full Version : Unable to get color on plugs??

WHATA SQUIRT
06-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Ive been told that it is real hard to get color on plugs w/log manifolds..is this true? 496 cu in. 850 BG,victor jr,holley 110 mechanical fuel pump...I know that I really need exhaust just cant afford it right now..any help is greatly apreciated..its jetted at 85/96 and still blubbery off idle??

77charger
06-08-2006, 09:00 PM
unleaded gas makes it harder to get a plug reading too.You will get one but might take longer unless you are obviously running fat

beerjet
06-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Ive been told that it is real hard to get color on plugs w/log manifolds..is this true? 496 cu in. 850 BG,victor jr,holley 110 mechanical fuel pump...I know that I really need exhaust just cant afford it right now..any help is greatly apreciated..its jetted at 85/96 and still blubbery off idle??
my 454 has a mighty demon 850 and I had step up 3 sizes before I saw a color change . That didn't seem right to me but it is what is.
-beerjet-

502 JET
06-09-2006, 05:16 AM
I not sure what you mean by blubbery off idle?Fat or rich?
If you are too rich off idle your powervalve may be opening too soon try a smaller power valve.With the jetting you are running I assume there is no PV in the secondaries.If it is leaning out when at WOT up the jets 2 numbers at a time until you get it rite.Check your Wot speed with gps to see if you slowed it down when upping your jets.Remember too rich and you have to change your oil more often.Too lean and you will melt your engine.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Thius site does not advocate using color of the porcelean to judge jetting but color and soot on the base ring. Color change point on the ground electrode to determine proper heat range.
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html