PDA

View Full Version : cost to gelcoat a taylor sj?

IMPATIENT 1
06-09-2006, 06:41 AM
i'm tired of havin paint probs on my sj and was wonderin what it would cost to have a stripped hull gelcoated white with basic old school blue flake flames on the bow? is there anyone in okla. or close that does nice work at a decent price?thanks, tom

sdba069
06-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Hey Tom......... Personally, I would go back with a nice base/clear paint job, professionally applied with a good name brand paint, no cheap synthetics. Gelcoat fades, acrylic urethane does not. The urethane probably isn't quite as tough, but it's not bad. If gelcoat is what you want, I can give you the number for my fiberglass man in Cleburne, Tx. Mark Kaase, over near Tulsa is pretty good. If that boat has ever had paint on it, it would have to be completely stripped before gelcoat could be applied.

IMPATIENT 1
06-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey Tom......... Personally, I would go back with a nice base/clear paint job, professionally applied with a good name brand paint, no cheap synthetics. Gelcoat fades, acrylic urethane does not. The urethane probably isn't quite as tough, but it's not bad. If gelcoat is what you want, I can give you the number for my fiberglass man in Cleburne, Tx. Mark Kaase, over near Tulsa is pretty good. If that boat has ever had paint on it, it would have to be completely stripped before gelcoat could be applied.
thanks for the info, i'm sure a pro paint job would be nicer and cheaper.i painted it last and fux'd up.i shot the base,waited a couple days for it to cure before clearing.bird got in the shop and shit on the bow,i cleaned off that base paint with paint prep before clearing,a big no no i found out the hard way.sun hits it,the paint prep trapped in the base gasses, and bubbles started popping up.removed the flames on the bow that had been paint prepped and sure enough, the paint was gooey everwhere that i used the prep cleaner on the base.i almost cried,took me a day to lay out my first flames and in 3 months have to strip em off.doin silver flames sunday to repair for summer and was considering my options.
if i had in gelled, i planned on stripping the paint 1st.what does a 18ft jet cost to have gelled white?it has stress cracks that come threw the paint and gellin it is the only fix for that.could paint some flames ontop of the new gel.

Towndrunk
06-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Funny you should mention Mark Kaase. I have a Kaase hydr. It handles really well. Layup is not the best tho.

Gearhead
06-10-2006, 07:47 PM
On the Gelcoat... I would still have to recomend Scott Seatrum in Hot Springs as doing a very nice job. He did some metalflake repair in a few spots and then cleared my vintage hull inside and out last year and it came out slicker than the original finish. Scott's Marine - Hot Springs, AR.

YeLLowBoaT
06-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I was just looking into getting a simple 2 color done on my 16'4 jet boat... I was qouted any where from 8-13k to have it done.

sdba069
06-10-2006, 09:11 PM
We recently did a Taylor SJ with a 2 color, metal flake gelcoat job and it ran about $4000. had very little body work.

ONAROLL
06-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Deuces Dad at Legends in Sapulpa, OK.........

Jet Hydro
06-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey I know a guy that paints boats....rotflmao
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84267&page=1&pp=25

SmokinLowriderSS
06-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Just the gel itself is arround $1600. Just redid my SS hull.

maxwedge
06-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Do you have any pics smokin? I would love to see that. Same color as before?

IMPATIENT 1
06-19-2006, 08:48 AM
I GUESS PAINT IS THE WAY TO GO,I ONLY SPENT 500 PAINTIN IT THE 1ST TIME(LESSON LEARNED,LOL).I CLEANED THE BASE PAINT WITH PAINT PREP BEFORE SHOOTING THE CLEAR,BIG MISTAKE!!!THE PREP SOAKED INTO THE BASE AND GASSED UP AS SOON AS IT GOT HOT THIS SUMMER.GONNA STRIP THE TOP HULL DOWN WITH THE KLEAN STRIP FIBERGLASS BOAT PAINT REMOVER AND RESEAL AND SHOOT THE TOP MYSELF.THIS TIME, NO PAINT PREP!!!!
SMOKIN, YA MISSED A GREAT TAYLOR MEET THIS WEEKEND!IT WAS A BLAST AND SOME AWESOME BOATS SHOWED UP INCLUDING BRETT TAYLORS GPS'D 93MPH SJ,SUM BITCH WAS BAD TO THE BONE!DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO RACE HIM BUT RACED 4 TIMES AND THEY TOLD ME I SMOKED EVERYBODY BY A CITY BLOCK EXCEPT FOR THE SANGER SJ WHICH I BEAT BY 6-7 BOAT LENGTHS.MY SJ WAS HAULIN ASS THIS WEEKEND, AND THE BBF WITH THE 200HP SHOT WAS HOOKIN UP LIKE A MOFO.

jetboat
06-20-2006, 05:52 AM
i posted a painter on the suite couple weeks ago,and thought cahrlie told you about him?he just finished painting with single stage and base coat.it shines like a babys but.i hope to have charlie and rob over to help with some installation items,so he will see the boat.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Do you have any pics smokin? I would love to see that. Same color as before?
Yes, same red/silver glitter flake she wore since new. It's a mirror-job of the deck. Silver glitterflake band below the hull seam, black parting line, red glitterflake below.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2006, 09:42 AM
I GUESS PAINT IS THE WAY TO GO,I ONLY SPENT 500 PAINTIN IT THE 1ST TIME(LESSON LEARNED,LOL).I CLEANED THE BASE PAINT WITH PAINT PREP BEFORE SHOOTING THE CLEAR,BIG MISTAKE!!!THE PREP SOAKED INTO THE BASE AND GASSED UP AS SOON AS IT GOT HOT THIS SUMMER.GONNA STRIP THE TOP HULL DOWN WITH THE KLEAN STRIP FIBERGLASS BOAT PAINT REMOVER AND RESEAL AND SHOOT THE TOP MYSELF.THIS TIME, NO PAINT PREP!!!!
SMOKIN, YA MISSED A GREAT TAYLOR MEET THIS WEEKEND!IT WAS A BLAST AND SOME AWESOME BOATS SHOWED UP INCLUDING BRETT TAYLORS GPS'D 93MPH SJ,SUM BITCH WAS BAD TO THE BONE!DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO RACE HIM BUT RACED 4 TIMES AND THEY TOLD ME I SMOKED EVERYBODY BY A CITY BLOCK EXCEPT FOR THE SANGER SJ WHICH I BEAT BY 6-7 BOAT LENGTHS.MY SJ WAS HAULIN ASS THIS WEEKEND, AND THE BBF WITH THE 200HP SHOT WAS HOOKIN UP LIKE A MOFO.
Yep, am sorry we couldn't make it. Gonna be on Grand this weekend for the holliday. Lots of work to do before then still. The carpet is still only 1/2 in. The budget has forced me to hold off on the new ignition and the nitrous set, but they will come. The new gell and headers should push her back over 70 for the first time in years. under the new gel I also blended that double-step away on the intake from the mold insert.
The gel may be expensive, but IMO, preferable. The UV stability may or may not be as good (the stuff I got from Fibreglast is supposed to be very good), but the scrat6ch resistance to polyurethane paints if in another class. From errant particles of dirt/mud/sand on a foot to life jacket brushings, the paint scratches soooooo much worse, and is soooo much harder to spot repair.
Super High Gloss
http://www.fibreglast.com/
#173 is our highest quality gel coat. It is fully UV resistant so it may be used as a protective clear coat over other colors or glitterflake. Very true color reproduction can be achieved when mixing with all our color pigments. Blend with Hi-Gloss Additive when top coating. Requires 2% MEKP.
Duratec Clear Hi-Gloss Gel Coat Additive
Spray Gel Coat Like Paint
#1040 can be mixed 1:1 with regular gel coat to reduce viscosity, porosity, and permit a complete open air cure. The reduction in viscosity allows gel coat to be sprayed controllably through siphon and HVLP equipment, reducing sanding and polishing time. Below the waterline repairs still need the addition of #71 Styrene Wax for maximum hardness.

holorinhal
06-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Smokinlowrider; Did You spray the gell Your self ,at home?
Do You have any pics ,would love to see!..Hal

SmokinLowriderSS
06-25-2006, 04:35 AM
unfortunately, no pix. The digital camera went MIA this winter. I'll prob find it in the box of stuff the boat emptied into this week as I refill her. :cry: I can sand in my sleep now. Thank god for Black & Decker 1/3 sheet. LOL
I didn't even know 1500 and 2000 grit existed! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: