PDA

View Full Version : Cat Hunting

revpuffdaddy
08-07-2001, 09:27 PM
Hey, I'm an avid reader of Hot Boat, fairly new to the online stuff. I'm in the beginning stages of sorting out the tunnel boats. I've boated all my life...gone fast...gone slow....ready to go 75mph to 85mph now. Want realiable, start every time, 25ft to 28ft open bow, open bow cat, w'reliable stern drive. Probably mercruiser set up. Really like the Howard 26ft open bow. Kinda pricy...seems to be very well built. Suggestions?
REV

MrHavasuCat
08-08-2001, 06:59 AM
DCB MACH 26 with hp 500. But also a little pricy.

racingrascal
08-08-2001, 07:30 AM
Take a look at Ultra custom boats. They have a very nice 27' cat that comes in an open bow. There prices are competive and the quality is great!
Andy

revpuffdaddy
08-08-2001, 01:48 PM
Mr Havasacat,thanks for the insight. Do you own a DCB or have you had any first hand knowledge of the product?
[This message has been edited by revpuffdaddy (edited August 08, 2001).]

Reaper1
08-08-2001, 01:56 PM
Hey P - Diddy. I know a guy that has a Mach 26. It's probably one of the cleanest rigging jobs I have seen. DCB sets the standard for quality and detail work. This particular boat has a 500EFI and runs right around 82 MPH. Really Nice. Just thought I'd share.
Grim

CatBoy
08-08-2001, 02:06 PM
revpuffdaddy, I to am new to the 26-28' Cat craze, but I have done 2 months of data collection, flew out to S.Cal where the best of this kind of breed is built, visited Howard, Ultra, Eliminator, & DCB. Owned 3 boats before but this will be my first "custom" boat. My impresions:
Over View: 26-28 Open Bow Cat: HP 500 EFI 79-82 MPH, want to go faster, throw a Whipple charger on it. Talk to Dustin (bright guy) dustin@whipplesuperchargers.com
Get on as many forums as possible, ***boat online, offshoreonly.com
read as much as possible, this is BIG $$ $80-90K for this kind of bullet proof set-up.
Drive: Merc XZ 1.5 the, XR robs to much HP 30-50HP it is made for BIG HP set-ups.
Put on a drive shower. Must have power steering at this speed, I am un-clear as to full hydraulic or non. Others please chime in. Many of the mags are just stroke-fests, manufactures pay for the adds, do you really think that thay are objective??...Grain of salt. look at full expoxy coating in the engine compartment....VERY clean look.
Make an appontment with the indivdule companies, an ask every stupid question you can think of. (I hammered Mike @ Howard Boats for 31/2 hours and he answered all my questions) Compare Apples-to-Apples.
Howard; absolut freeks about quality of thier hulls, look at their center sponson it is deeper than then the outside sponsons this enables the hull to lean left if you turn left (non Typical in a cat). Porpoiseing was a big deal in the past, but new designs have fixed most of these problems, Howard, Ultra, @ Eliminator states that there is NO porposing at ANY speed. Go for a ride. 50-70 Boats a year.
Ultra: Great lay-up Superior Graphics and Gel-Coating. John West is the guy www.ultraboats.com (http://www.ultraboats.com) Big feeboard. He will do what ever you want, very inavative.
Very knowledgeable Call 619 443 1100
Go for a ride. 60-90 Boats a year.
DCB Best Rigging on the planet, good gel coating, but lay-up and glass is not on the same league as Howard and Ulta. 50-70 Boats a year.
Eliminator: The big boys, hundreds of boats per year. They have redone their bottom (no porposing). Good overall stuff, service may not be as good as other manufactures. Number 2 seems to try harder.
Others: many...... Can't talk about them.
Just call, ask, visit, go for a ride, hit the forums. Be informed. I have not made my desision yet, but am looking forward to my new boat!
Good luck Any other input? I needto learn more.
Bill

revpuffdaddy
08-08-2001, 02:34 PM
Thanks CatBoy: I really appreciate your feed back. Much of what you said I have discovered in my search. I am fortunate...I live right in the middle of all these Hot Baot builders! I am riding in a Howard 26' Open Bow Cat this weekend at Lake Havasu. It has a 500HP in it....we'll see. I have not seen the Ultra Shadow Cat yet, went to their web site and it only shows a closed bow? Doesn't say anything about open bow. I have e-mailed them...will try to call soon. Anyone else with experience in this 26' to 28' CAT....please chime in! I'll pass along my findings after the ride this weekend.
REV

MACH26
08-08-2001, 05:57 PM
I own a DCB Mach 26 w/ twin 300 pro maxes. I also spent six months looking and test driving different boats. Frankly, you aren't going to find ANYONE in the same league with these guys!! After 30 hours of Havasu use I have yet fo find a bolt or screw loose, a wire disconnected, or a rigging mistake covered up (and I've looked). Everyone is going to charge you 75-85K for a 25-28 foot cat that goes 75mph (which you won't be satified with very long!!!). You might as well get you moneys worth w/ a DCB. Hope this helps....

Blown Lavey
08-08-2001, 10:49 PM
Did you try Lavey Craft? I have the excat set up you mentioned.
27 cat closed bow Whippled HP500.Very solid well built boat,good service.

Reaper1
08-09-2001, 07:19 AM
Just to throw it out there. Have you checked out HTM. My buddy has an SS-24 with a 565 motor and it hauls booty. Radared at 107. I know it's only a 24' but they also make a 30 footer and these hulls thrive on horsepower. I think their pretty fair on price also, if you compare them to some of the big names. So many choices, what's a brother to do? It's like going to the club on Saturday night.

gimprvr
08-09-2001, 09:19 AM
Hey if you have some time to build it check out the Rayson Craft 26'Cat. The bottom is identical to the Talon...(make your own deductions), which is a great bottom. I spoke with a guy a few weeks back that Had one with a 502/502, he was at 84 on the GPS. That's respectable with that HP. anyway like I said if you're not in a hurry give them a call. The guy to talk to is Johhny 310-769-0210 and the shop is in Gardena. Good luck. let us know which direction you go.

redviper
08-11-2001, 04:19 PM
Eliminator is the only cat I would ever consider. I'm on my second one now! Nobody builds a more quaility boat Best gelcoat best interior best handling by far if you want more details e-mail me.

boatnam2
08-11-2001, 07:06 PM
hey redviper,you forgot about the biggest price also.i rode in a 25 cat and wasn't impressed at all it was a few years old but nothing special and slow.i had a american offshore with less hp and just spanked him.when your talking bigger cats eliminator is the only game but not everyone has 300g laying around.and as far as the american offshore i mean rayson craft hehe not a bad boat pretty decent price.

racingrascal
08-11-2001, 08:29 PM
Well said boatnam! Don't buy a name, buy quality. And if you have several extra thousand laying around then buy an Eliminator Daytona. If you don't then buy a better quality boat for less money. (Ultra Shadow would be one I can think of, Carrera, Howard,Lavey and many others)Do you go to Nordstroms because your friends think your cool or do you actually like paying to much.
Just my .02
Andy

gimprvr
08-14-2001, 11:58 AM
Rayson Craft, American Offshore, Talon...If it works and works well, don't Jack with it.
BTW do any of you guys have any experience with the Vinyl graffix?

25 Eagle
08-14-2001, 03:49 PM
You guys forgot the Hallett 27 but who cares. My next dream boat, a DCB with a 528 Hemi and a Arneson surface drive. What do ya think?

froggystyle
08-14-2001, 10:56 PM
Great if you are really good with a throttle and trim... Otherwise stick to a stern drive.

TysonDawg
08-15-2001, 12:51 AM
If you're in Havasu ever, check out that cool looking white boat on the lake. The one with the F-16 canopies that looks like a race boat.
It is a cat and I think it's a 28 footer.

Blown Lavey
08-15-2001, 09:41 AM
Froggystyle ---- Have you ever driven a boat with a surface drive or two ?

1faster
08-15-2001, 01:05 PM
Hey p-diddy, I did some shopping too and ended up with an Eliminator 25 Daytona, rigged by GT Performance in Montclair, CA,and one of Gary's 540c.i. naturally aspirated motors. I paid what I consider a very fair price, and the boat runs 93 mph on GPS. I wouldn't go through Eliminator directly though, I paid 20k less than what they quoted for the 25 with 500h EFI.

Reaper1
08-15-2001, 02:36 PM
1Faster - Who did you buy the boat through?

revpuffdaddy
08-15-2001, 04:29 PM
Hey, 1Faster...thanks for the heads up. Who did you buy the boat through? What type of warranty did you get with the boat and the motor? To any that are interested: I rode in the Howard 26ft Cat on Havasu Sunday afternoon. One to Two foot chop...the boat really runs well. Solid, solid boat. My one concern....the boat cavitates coming out of the hole if you give it to much throttle. The owner claims ALL cats do this? I wnat to talk to Howard Boats about this. Can anyone substantiate this cavitation stuff with cats?
REV PUFF DADDY
[This message has been edited by revpuffdaddy (edited August 15, 2001).]

Blown Lavey
08-15-2001, 07:41 PM
Any big cat is going to have some cavatation coming out of the hole.Even with tabs this happens(but tabs do make plaining much easier).It also depends on prop and gear ratio.

ETicketChris
08-15-2001, 10:19 PM
Those are all very well built boats. Before leaving your deposit anywhere come and take a look at our 28ft cat with real F-16 canopies and a separate motor bay. This boat will run and perform with the big boys, for less. A few of our customers own 2000 models of those big names and a selling them for one of our boats. Any questions please call E Ticket Performance Boats at 520-505-7886 or email at eticketboats@hotmail.com

MrHavasuCat
08-16-2001, 12:41 PM
PuffDaddy,
I own a DCB mach26. This is my second mach 26 and both are great boats. I went from outboards to a blown i/o. The quality is second to none. I owned an eliminator rigged by DCB before my mach's, but I think DCB'S glass quality is better. I shopped around after I sold my eliminator and ended up back at DCB. I like eliminators, but those who say eliminator's quality is the best I don't think have looked around. I have seen some eliminators that were rigged very well, and some that left a little to be desired. Dave will not let a boat leave his shop unless it is as close to perfect as possible.
Boatnam2,
Eliminator better stand by as far as bigger cats go. I was just down at daves and saw a video of his new f-34 running. With twin n/a 620 hp teague motors the boat ran 121.6 mph and was running perfectly flat unlike the 33 daytona, no porpoise at all. both 120 mph gps's in the boat were buried and the radar read the above speed. This is more than 5 mph faster than the eliminator with the same power. This is the same boat that is on the cover of the new ***boat mag.
Chris
[This message has been edited by MrHavasuCat (edited August 16, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by MrHavasuCat (edited August 16, 2001).]

kab
08-16-2001, 01:19 PM
Is that daves mach34. He told me he built one for himself with that same engine package, he was at havasu two weekends ago testing it out.

MrHavasuCat
08-16-2001, 02:11 PM
Yes that is daves boat. You have got to see it run, really impressive. See you at the lake Kab. We are leaving tonight. Tony told me about your boat, something about a video of it running 115 mph at parker!!!

kab
08-16-2001, 02:32 PM
I saw daves boat the last time I was at his shop picking colors for the new boat, awesome boat. On the trailer that boat looks huge. We do have a video of the boat running 115 too bad I was trying to hit 126. There were too many boats in the area to really hit it that hard. Maybe this weekend I will find somewhere to air it out..

MrHavasuCat
08-16-2001, 02:35 PM
I will have my video camera out there this weekend. Maybe we can get some footage of the boats at speed.

TysonDawg
08-17-2001, 12:07 AM
I saw Dave's boat out on the water and it was still porpoising. Where is the first 34 with the 2 900sc motors. I heard they can't get that one to work either.

1faster
08-17-2001, 01:48 PM
hey puffy, It's kind of a long story, but I bought it through a dealer in Arkansas, and I did it all via the phone and mail. I ordered the boat through him but still picked it up myself at Eliminator in Mira Loma. I was also able to frequent Gary's shop during the rigging process, which was a lot of fun. I was able to take some great pictures! The dealer's name Performance Water Craft, and the owner is Kaedon Steiner. He can be reached at Steiner. I will dig up the number, it's at home and I am at the office. I can give you alot more detail if you want to, e-mail me your number I will call you. My e-mail is t.bozzano@att.net

MrHavasuCat
08-21-2001, 12:41 PM
Tysondawg,
They have reworked the bottom and it looks dialed in to me. I watched the video of the boat running over 120 mph in san diego bay and there is no porpoise at all. The 34 with the 900's was the first one built and had to be dialed in. It ran 140 mph at lake X and they ran out of lake. I am just reporting what I have seen on video. I have some video of an f-3 daytona running at a little over 100 mph and the thing is porpoising very bad.

TysonDawg
08-21-2001, 11:52 PM
Mr. Havasu
It just seems funny to me that Dave would have not have the fastest and the best F-34
there is. I think the reason that his has the smaller motor is because the couldn't fix the problems with the first one with the larger motors. When I went to the last la boat show dave had that 34 there and there he told people that it ran 140, the funny thing about that is the exhaust wasn't even connected, other rep of DCB that was there said they never ran the boat. Who knows what the truth is. I would love to see that boat run 140

boatnam2
08-22-2001, 04:00 AM
hey td,i think your right. on the new hot boat it says dcb racing worlds best.been to many of offshore races yet to see a dcb.i know the the 26 is sweet but dcb seems to be hiding something with the new 34.maybe that what up with all the smoke and mirrors.

25 Eagle
08-22-2001, 06:21 AM
Heard a rumor they dropped the 34 with the 900's when turning it over to look at the bottom. Anyone else hear about this?

Crew
08-22-2001, 11:21 AM
ATTN - Tysondawg
Mach F-34 Update: The 1st boat with a 900 sc pkg ran 138.7 mph on the GPS and 140 on radar. The "Estimated" speed, not claimed speed at the LA Show seems lik a pretty good estimate! Remember guys these are the first two boats out of the mold. It's taken some builders years to get the numbers we've been able to accomplish in just a few months. Most new boat models need to be tested. The designs, X-diminsions, prop rotations, CG's, and minor bottom changes all need to be adjusted. The F-34 is now dialed in! There are some "Hot Rod" 34's coming up so keep your eyes open. Don't be surprised to see future runs in the 130-140 mph range with twin 740-800 hp motors on XR drives, and 145-150 mph range with twin dry sump 900 sc motors on 6 drives.
NOTE: Dave's twin Teague 620 pkg with a one year warranty and speed of 120 mph is a lot of bang for the buck!

Crew
08-22-2001, 11:30 AM
25 Eagle -
The baot you are speaking of has never been turned over! FYI - the hoist system used to roll boats is a state of the art piece of equipment. It's highly unlikely to have ever drop a boat, then or in the future.

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2001, 12:16 PM
Hey Crew,
You work at DCB? Do you mind if I ask what you do?
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

TysonDawg
08-22-2001, 12:26 PM
Crew,
That is great the boat runs that fast now I'm glad to see you worked out the bugs, because that is a beautiful boat. For your information the words that came mout of Dave's mouth was that the boat DID run 140. Another thing is it true that the first F-34 test, the boat only ran about 85? What do you do at DCB if you don't mind me asking? The reason I'm asking I was just wondering how many on the 34 have been sold. Sorry to upset you with me assumptions, they are just rumors I heard, I'm glad that you cleared them up.

TysonDawg
08-22-2001, 12:31 PM
Crew,
Please continue to help us with DCB facts. I think they are a huge benefit to this board and DCB. Thanks

MrHavasuCat
08-22-2001, 12:37 PM
Tysondawg,
You should be careful with rumors. Does 85 mph sound reasonable for a boat with that kind of setup? I think not. You could rig a barge with 900's and 6 drives and probably get 85 out it.

kab
08-22-2001, 02:02 PM
I'm glad crew joined in. I saw the video of daves boat running 121 yesterday, ran awesome. Everything on the 34 looks very much dialed in. Mr. Havasucat-whats the verdict on your boat? Will you be in havasu over labor day weekend?

Screaming Pete
08-23-2001, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by kab:
I'm glad crew joined in. I saw the video of daves boat running 121 yesterday, ran awesome. Everything on the 34 looks very much dialed in. Mr. Havasucat-whats the verdict on your boat? Will you be in havasu over labor day weekend?I'm out at DCB almost every day and own a mach 22 with a 300 promax (just 1 for now) and its an awsome boat i'v had it at havasu during the tunnel ragatta running in all the ruff and did just fine. I sure would would like to move up but do most of my boating down rive where the water is not as deep. But to get to the 34, Dave is doing an great job dialing this one in as he and the crew do on all thier boats but the 34 has to be able to run with so many differsnt engine and drive packages that he's taking his time and doing it right I think he's Mercury's best prop account you should see all the different prop they've run. Seen so viedo yesterday wit the gps beried at 120mph and the rader gun over 121 and the rig runs nice and flat just like my 22 at 85mph

Crew
08-23-2001, 10:58 AM
Tysondawg,
We would never run full throttle on our first lake test of a new model boat. We need to do a mechanical check first on all equipment and start to learn about the response of the hull in the water. We highly advise no one ever do a full blast run the first time in any boat. Hone your driving skills, dial in the boat, be patient and safe, the numbers will come.
Sincerely,
The Crew

Crew
08-23-2001, 01:15 PM
Tysondawg,
We would never run full throttle on the first lake test run of a new model boat. There needs to be a mechanical check on all equipment as well as understanding the new hull and it's action in the water. We highly advise that no one ever try a full blast run the first time in any boat. Hone your driving skills, dial in the boat, be patient and safe, the numbers will come.
Sincerely,
The Crew

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2001, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Crew:
The Crew
Is Carlos part of "The Crew"?

Screaming Pete
08-23-2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin':
Is Carlos part of "The Crew"?
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif I think he was back when he owned a boat

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2001, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete:
[QUOTE]I think he was back when he owned a boat
I heard he owns a boat, he just has to paddle it. Perhaps we need to find him someone who does interiors...

FastCats
08-23-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2:
hey redviper,you forgot about the biggest price also.i rode in a 25 cat and wasn't impressed at all it was a few years old but nothing special and slow.i had a american offshore with less hp and just spanked him.when your talking bigger cats eliminator is the only game but not everyone has 300g laying around.and as far as the american offshore i mean rayson craft hehe not a bad boat pretty decent price.
Are you saying that one is the other? Is one better than the other?

elimi
09-10-2001, 08:09 AM
Excellent info. Quote some of the prices that you have discovered-with options of course so that we can compare apples to apples. Originally posted by CatBoy:
revpuffdaddy, I to am new to the 26-28' Cat craze, but I have done 2 months of data collection, flew out to S.Cal where the best of this kind of breed is built, visited Howard, Ultra, Eliminator, & DCB. Owned 3 boats before but this will be my first "custom" boat. My impresions:
Over View: 26-28 Open Bow Cat: HP 500 EFI 79-82 MPH, want to go faster, throw a Whipple charger on it. Talk to Dustin (bright guy) dustin@whipplesuperchargers.com
Get on as many forums as possible, ***boat online, offshoreonly.com
read as much as possible, this is BIG $$ $80-90K for this kind of bullet proof set-up.
Drive: Merc XZ 1.5 the, XR robs to much HP 30-50HP it is made for BIG HP set-ups.
Put on a drive shower. Must have power steering at this speed, I am un-clear as to full hydraulic or non. Others please chime in. Many of the mags are just stroke-fests, manufactures pay for the adds, do you really think that thay are objective??...Grain of salt. look at full expoxy coating in the engine compartment....VERY clean look.
Make an appontment with the indivdule companies, an ask every stupid question you can think of. (I hammered Mike @ Howard Boats for 31/2 hours and he answered all my questions) Compare Apples-to-Apples.
Howard; absolut freeks about quality of thier hulls, look at their center sponson it is deeper than then the outside sponsons this enables the hull to lean left if you turn left (non Typical in a cat). Porpoiseing was a big deal in the past, but new designs have fixed most of these problems, Howard, Ultra, @ Eliminator states that there is NO porposing at ANY speed. Go for a ride. 50-70 Boats a year.
Ultra: Great lay-up Superior Graphics and Gel-Coating. John West is the guy www.ultraboats.com (http://www.ultraboats.com) Big feeboard. He will do what ever you want, very inavative.
Very knowledgeable Call 619 443 1100
Go for a ride. 60-90 Boats a year.
DCB Best Rigging on the planet, good gel coating, but lay-up and glass is not on the same league as Howard and Ulta. 50-70 Boats a year.
Eliminator: The big boys, hundreds of boats per year. They have redone their bottom (no porposing). Good overall stuff, service may not be as good as other manufactures. Number 2 seems to try harder.
Others: many...... Can't talk about them.
Just call, ask, visit, go for a ride, hit the forums. Be informed. I have not made my desision yet, but am looking forward to my new boat!
Good luck Any other input? I needto learn more.
Bill

elimi
09-10-2001, 08:13 AM
Publish some of your prices that you have found as I am looking at 26-28ft cats also. Leaning toward elimintor because of geographic location of dealer.(BC Canada) Originally posted by revpuffdaddy:
Hey, I'm an avid reader of Hot Boat, fairly new to the online stuff. I'm in the beginning stages of sorting out the tunnel boats. I've boated all my life...gone fast...gone slow....ready to go 75mph to 85mph now. Want realiable, start every time, 25ft to 28ft open bow, open bow cat, w'reliable stern drive. Probably mercruiser set up. Really like the Howard 26ft open bow. Kinda pricy...seems to be very well built. Suggestions?
REV

2fast4you
09-18-2001, 07:09 PM
anyone have any data on cat w/ arneson drive? id like a cat but would prefer arneson drive over bravo. i have no desire to replace drives on a reg. basis. any info appreciated