PDA

View Full Version : Eliminator 21.5 Eliminator Mod VP

Boo
03-12-2002, 07:08 PM
I just picked up a 1989 21.5 Eliminator Mod VP bowrider! Sorry about the exclamation point, but I am stoked. I convinced the wife and family that it would be a great family boat (and a hot rod for dad....). The boat is powered by a 454 tied to a Bravo One and pushed by a 4 blade SS prop. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the performance, handling, ride etc.? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

pleasantcat
03-12-2002, 08:08 PM
dude! eliminators rock! i'm just as excited as you and i've had mine for three months. i recently obtained a 25'daytona with well let's just say warm big block http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif my first eliminator and my first cat and im hooked! i have had the PLEASURE of driving magics 28' cat. i was impressed with it as well but this eliminator i got was a better deal for me. they handle wake like nothing i've ever driven.although they turn a bit weird its somthing to get used to... now all of this is in a 25' if your 21.5 was built as well as mine i'm sure you'll be just as happy if not more!! hope to see ya at the regatta in may... enjoy

BBB
03-20-2002, 01:16 PM
BOO-
I own a 94 Eliminator 20.5 Competition Skier. It sounds like a similar hull as your's except that I've got a jet hanging off the back. I got it two years ago and have been looking for ANY info. It sounds like you used the same tact as I did by justifying it as a family boat because of the bowrider! My boat has a blown 454 with all the goodies (a vortech blower/spearco intercooler and Accel FI all nicely tucked under the hatch out of sight of the unsuspecting challengers...)
I am not sure why Eliminator stopped production as I love this boat! My guess is that this hull takes quite a bit of HP to make speed? Just a guess. It's rock steady at WOT. If you have any pix of your boat I'd like to see them to see if it's the same hull as mine.

DesertDog
03-20-2002, 01:53 PM
Nice boats you guys got.Not sure on the mod VP but the skier bottom was originally made by Centurion Boats and widely used by Bahner,Ultra,Caliber 1,and quite a few others and is still being used by many boat builders today.Eliminator added a wide delta pad to theirs.It's a really nice running bottom.I think a lot of the manufacturers are going to a deeper vee even on their smaller boats to contend with the rougher water we have nowdays.Upload some pics!

Pelon
03-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Mod Vp's where racing hulls in the mid 80's. Some people call them tunnels, because this things really are tunnel hulls. My neihbor has a 86 Baker 18 footer, rides Excellent, and the thing turns like a slot car. They turn very flat, no roll at all. Mod vp's like a little bit of chop to break free and trap some air in those tunnels, then they really get up go. We had that boat up in the 70's, water much too choppy to push any further, but had some throttle left. His boat has Yamaha 220 outboard. Stoker still makes mod vp hulls, and shockwave has 20 foot mold that was Bakers mold. You will enjoy this boat, tunnels kick butt.

CrazyHippy
03-26-2002, 10:37 AM
does it look like this?
http://images.yachtworld.com/9/2/8/928297_7.jpg
http://images.yachtworld.com/9/2/8/928297_1.jpg
I was looking @ this one myself
BJH

Boo
03-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Hey CrazyHippy that does look like my boat....in fact, that is my boat! I drove over to CA from AZ and picked it up in January! I'd been looking for a Mod-VP bowrider for a while and when I came across this one at Boats of America I jumped on it.

DesertDog
03-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Nice boat Boo.In my earlier reply I was actually talking about the 20.6.I forgot about the model boat you have.I remember always seeing one that looks just like yours in the Havasu channel around the early 90's.Sweet looking boat,I always liked the long deck.Did yours have the windshields when you got it?

CrazyHippy
03-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Very nice ride, i would have bought it myself if it had been red.
BJH

BBB
03-27-2002, 08:00 AM
Whatta small world! Boo, have you had it in the water yet? (Being in AZ I imagine you have, not quite warm enough up here in N.Cal....) If so, how did it go?
Nice boat!

BBB
03-27-2002, 08:17 AM
BTW, There's a pic of my boat in media center/readers rides/jets/ elim 205. ( I think this is how you post pics?). Originally came from SoCal so I'm wondering if any of you recognize it?
http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats&image=ski3.JPG&img=&tt=

Havasu_Dreamin
03-27-2002, 08:19 AM
Here you go BBB
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/ski3.JPG
HD, the OG

Boo
03-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Sorry for the delay in response to your question BBB (the exciting life of a traveling salesman!). I've had it out on Lake Pleasant 5 times (the air is still a little cold) and I love it. This is my first tunnel/mod vp hull, so it is taking somne getting used to. Anything more than a click or two of trim under 30 mph and the boat starts to porpise. Above that and it becomes sensitive to trim while packing air. I'm looking forward to some more seat time to better aquaint myself with it's likes and dislikes. My boat does not have a windshield currently, but the wife is already after me to have one built!

BBB
04-03-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Boo:
Sorry for the delay in response to your question BBB (the exciting life of a traveling salesman!). I've had it out on Lake Pleasant 5 times (the air is still a little cold) and I love it. This is my first tunnel/mod vp hull, so it is taking somne getting used to. Anything more than a click or two of trim under 30 mph and the boat starts to porpise. Above that and it becomes sensitive to trim while packing air. I'm looking forward to some more seat time to better aquaint myself with it's likes and dislikes. My boat does not have a windshield currently, but the wife is already after me to have one built!

BBB
04-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by BBB:
BOO, It seems as though the stern drive is a bit more sensitive than a jet setup as I haven't experienced any porpoising? I've never owned or operated an I/O so I can't say for sure if there is a difference.