PDA

View Full Version : Pump Packing leaking help

Rocknpalms
06-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Berkly pump '74 Tahiti. This pump is way past due for a rebuilt. It may even be the original. I will rebuild the entire pump this comming winter but need a quick fix now.
I know that drops of water are to leak around the packing seal while the engine is running, but now it actually has a small stream of water leaking even when just sitting with the engine off. I have tightened the nuts about one turn and it stopped for a bit but now the leak is back. Should I continue to tighten? I dont want to make the packing too hard to remove.
I picked up some new packing and was told if I am going to rebuild the pump soon I just need to replace two of the five packing strips and that will do the job for the rest of the year. Is this good advice?
Also what tools are needed and any advice to make this job good smooth. It seems very simple. I want to keep it that way. The boat is at the river and I will be doing this on vacation time.

Rocknpalms
06-10-2006, 07:20 AM
I believe there are only four not five packing pieces in the pump. At least that is what the packing kit comes with.

Jim Brock
06-10-2006, 07:23 AM
should take care of the problem for now. jim

SmokinLowriderSS
06-10-2006, 08:55 AM
I would just keep snugging it myself. Don't try to stop the leakage alltogether. It should allow a drip every so often (perhaps every minuite or so) and will emit a light, fine spray under high speed/pressure conditions. The packing must get a small ammount of water under it to lube it against the spinning shaft.
The packings are not hard to remove with either a seal puller tool OR a good flat-bladed screwdriver once the shaft is out for the rebuild. They are significantly more intertesting to get out with the shaft in place.
If you do temp replace, I would also only replace the inner 2 or so till this winter.
Good luck.

inwo
06-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Add one if there's room. Easier than taking some out. If there isn't room for another then snug it up a little more.

Danhercules
06-11-2006, 07:41 AM
When you tighten the nuts, dose it feel hard and tight? ( LOL, Heeee hee heee, hard and tight!! )
If not, I would keep tourqin them down. By the way, its a jet boat, its suppost to leak, just like a Harley or a VW!!!!

robk
06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
I would just keep snugging it myself. Don't try to stop the leakage alltogether. It should allow a drip every so often (perhaps every minuite or so) and will emit a light, fine spray under high speed/pressure conditions. The packing must get a small ammount of water under it to lube it against the spinning shaft.
The packings are not hard to remove with either a seal puller tool OR a good flat-bladed screwdriver once the shaft is out for the rebuild. They are significantly more intertesting to get out with the shaft in place.
If you do temp replace, I would also only replace the inner 2 or so till this winter.
Good luck.
A drywall screw and pair of pliers do wonders for getting those packing strips out with the pumpshaft still in place...
Just screw in the screw until it's got a hold of *one* packing ring and pull it with the pliers.
Rob

Rocknpalms
06-12-2006, 08:53 PM
A drywall screw and pair of pliers do wonders for getting those packing strips out with the pumpshaft still in place...
Just screw in the screw until it's got a hold of *one* packing ring and pull it with the pliers.
Rob
Great tip thanks

Rocknpalms
06-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Just an update for anyone that may learn from reading this.
I notice alot of thread remaining on the bolts for the packing seal adjustment. I gave each nut about one and a half turns, not all at once but a quarter turn each at a time. I now have only a small drip. Ran it for about 10 hours and still only a small drip.
I know the pump is worn and will come apart this winter. But fixed for now.
Thanks for the help guys