PDA

View Full Version : Optima Blue Top (D34M) prices.

K9Blitz
06-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a good price on the Blue Tops.
I called around and found the AutoZone in Bullhead City had the Blue Tops for $149. This was the best price I found, considering I was calling from the OC. Having worked at Sears many moons ago, I know they will match prices if you stand your ground.
I went to the Sears in Westminster with a copy of their price match policy and the phone number to the BHC AutoZone. After a couple of "we don't price match batteries" I stood my ground and scored a couple Blue Tops for $149 each.
I swapped out the MK Batteries that came with my boat and I'm in business. So far so good, but we'll see how they handle the heat of my Needles storage garage.
Any input regarding the Optima's and how they do in the heat is greatly appreciated.

DILLIGAF
06-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a good price on the Blue Tops.
I called around and found the AutoZone in Bullhead City had the Blue Tops for $149. This was the best price I found, considering I was calling from the OC. Having worked at Sears many moons ago, I know they will match prices if you stand your ground.
I went to the Sears in Westminster with a copy of their price match policy and the phone number to the BHC AutoZone. After a couple of "we don't price match batteries" I stood my ground and scored a couple Blue Tops for $149 each.
I swapped out the MK Batteries that came with my boat and I'm in business. So far so good, but we'll see how they handle the heat of my Needles storage garage.
Any input regarding the Optima's and how they do in the heat is greatly appreciated.
Good job. I have used them in the past but I now run the Oddeseys with a generator for my "radio" :). (Your wife cracked me up) Never had a problem with them but Wired For Sound prefers the Odesseys and since they did the stereo I didn't have a problem with it. Heat was never an issue

K9Blitz
06-10-2006, 07:31 PM
That was funny. She saw your boat turning and saw your "numerous" bow speakers and had to ask.
Maybe I'll send you a PM and ask about that girl you picked up at the dam and gave a ride to. Before knowing you were the famous DILLIGAF, we thought you were going to keep her, but twas not the case!
I'm too lazy to take the batteries out of the boat after putting it in storage, so I hope they can handle some heat in-between uses. Winter is no problem because they hold up best in the cold.
I'm going to shoot an email to Optima and inquire if the heat destroys the battery or just drains it quicker.

DILLIGAF
06-10-2006, 08:17 PM
That was funny. She saw your boat turning and saw your "numerous" bow speakers and had to ask.
Maybe I'll send you a PM and ask about that girl you picked up at the dam and gave a ride to. Before knowing you were the famous DILLIGAF, we thought you were going to keep her, but twas not the case!
I'm too lazy to take the batteries out of the boat after putting it in storage, so I hope they can handle some heat in-between uses. Winter is no problem because they hold up best in the cold.
I'm going to shoot an email to Optima and inquire if the heat destroys the battery or just drains it quicker.
That girl was kind of funny. I saw her swimming with her other friends "guys" and our conversation went something like this:
"Are you alright?"
"Sure I was just swimming to your boat"
"Why?"
"Can I and my friends have a ride?"
"You can but are your friends those guys?"
"Yes."
"Well, you can have a ride but not them. Hey you guys, I will bring her back in a few minutes"
LOL...Gave her a ride and brought her back. She is a hostess at Joes Crab Shack so I went in and had dinner. Nice girl actually.
:)

K9Blitz
06-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Very nicely done. Good use of the "are you alright" technique.

Floored
06-11-2006, 08:28 AM
I live in mohave valley just south of BHC and 2 yrs ago Phebus gave me his 2 yr old optima blues and they are still working great for me.Haven't even put a charger on them once, just disconnect cables when I park the boat.

dm25advantage
06-11-2006, 02:20 PM
i have three blue top batterys and they work great.two runs the stero and one back up to start the boat. i have my boat all year in havasu and the heat doesnt ruin them. just charge it the night before your on the water. i love the those blue tops batterys.

Beer-30
06-11-2006, 09:51 PM
$143 @ Costco.

ryantparks
06-12-2006, 04:12 PM
hey, $6 bucks is $6 bucks!
I use the blue tops in my boat also and no probs. Going on 3 years now

K9Blitz
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I called a Costco in the OC and they told me the Blue Tops were a discontinued item. They had the Yellow Top for $149, but I figured the extra six months of warranty and extra Blue Top terminals was worth the price match scheme at Sears.

K9Blitz
06-19-2006, 08:27 PM
I called Optima and explained I keep the batteries fully charged not hooked to a draw source in my storage oven in Needles. They tell me the battery is only rated for 125 degrees max before it's damaged. I asked if they mean 125 degrees before it really starts to lose it's charge and they said that the batteries ability for deep cycle charges are ruined by 125 degree plus temps.
The thermometer in my storage unit in June was maxed out at 120 degrees, just like everyone else's storage unit / garage along the river.
Are these wussy batteries or what? Maybe Optima is trying to cover themselves from some warranty claims.

RitcheyRch
06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Costco in Santa Clarita doesnt stock the blue tops anymore. They had plenty of yellow tops.

RitcheyRch
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Couldnt find one at the local Auto Zone so took a chance and went to Sears. I ended up buying the last one they had and they priced matched Auto Zones price of $149.