PDA

View Full Version : Tire/Wheel Question

HatenWinter
06-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I have a 1/2 ton suburban that has 22 inch rims with semi low profile tires on it. I can't remember the actual sidewall height but they are performance tires and not really for towing. I tow my 25 foot Nordic with it but its only a 6 mile round trip to Windsor and back. I just bought a 26 foot travel trailer that weighs roughly the same as the boat does including the trailer and fuel, about 5,000 lbs. or so. Does anyone do any serious towing with a similar setup??? By the way, the sub has the full tow package including air shocks and the trailer has the load distributers/equalizers. Thanks for any info!!

beaverretriever
06-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I have a 1/2 ton suburban that has 22 inch rims with semi low profile tires on it. I can't remember the actual sidewall height but they are performance tires and not really for towing. I tow my 25 foot Nordic with it but its only a 6 mile round trip to Windsor and back. I just bought a 26 foot travel trailer that weighs roughly the same as the boat does including the trailer and fuel, about 5,000 lbs. or so. Does anyone do any serious towing with a similar setup??? By the way, the sub has the full tow package including air shocks and the trailer has the load distributers/equalizers. Thanks for any info!!
I had 315/40/24s on my 04 Hemi truck and towed my wakeboard boat, and a friends 28ft Magic all the time with no problem (over 55 at that!!). I bottomed alot because the truck was so slammed, but the tires held up well. Good luck. :)

fourspeednup
06-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Check the load rating on the tires, so long as that checks out, fill them up to their max and get rollin :)
Heard a couple horror stories about people towing without the proper weight rated tires that crashed and insurance wouldn't cover it :(

ultra27jay
06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
is that a sports truck by dean ride? check the load rating on the sidewall. and make sure the air pressuer is good, ohh and make sure u have air in your spare. i towed my 26 ft commander last summer with 295-35-22 p-zero tires on a air baged 2002 f 150 and had no problems. :p

HatenWinter
06-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I have Nitto 285/45/R22's that have a 2,600 lb. weight limit. Does that mean that I multiply that by 4 to get the total weight of the Suburban plus the tongue weight of the trailer or???? I will definatly make sure they are filled to capacity too. Thanks for the help guys, I apprecite it!

HatenWinter
06-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Ultra27jay
No it's not a Sport Truck by Dean but he does turn out some nice rides, I did this on my own.

ultra27jay
06-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Ultra27jay
No it's not a Sport Truck by Dean but he does turn out some nice rides, I did this on my own.
sweet, and as far as the load rating yes times that by 4 = 10,400 lbs. with your truck and trailer u will be fine. i tell all of my customers if they are gonna travel across the desert try to do it at night when the temp is cooler it will save your tires and keep the speed down. just my 2 cents. also dont forget to watch the tire air preshure. tires on the average lose about 3 psi per month.

GOT TINT?
06-12-2006, 10:43 AM
i had a denali on 22" wheels and towed my weekend warrior, it was the best vehicle i have towed with as far as stability, but it was tow much for the motor and trans, i have an 06 ford diesel and tows it no problem but when the winds blowing real hard i wish i was in the Denali. i weighed the truck and trailer over easter fully loaded with a rhino and was at 22,680 pounds when i had the denali we didnt have the rhino so take some weight of for that. i only towed with it about six trips to the desert before i had to retire it.

HatenWinter
06-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Cool, thanks everyone! Called the guy at the tire store too, my tires actually have a higher load capacity than the stock ones. I filled them up to capacity and were headed out tomorrow!........with a little peace of mind! :)