PDA

View Full Version : Hoover Dam

SDLifesaver
06-10-2006, 07:21 PM
We are going to Lake Mojave for a few days next month and I would like to make the trip to the dam. What is the route from Catherines Landing? How long does it take and is there fuel on the way or do you need to start full. Any help would be appreciated. Nick

Outnumbered
06-10-2006, 07:35 PM
We are going to Lake Mojave for a few days next month and I would like to make the trip to the dam. What is the route from Catherines Landing? How long does it take and is there fuel on the way or do you need to start full. Any help would be appreciated. Nick
Only one route--North. There is fuel at Cottonwood Cove Marina (West side just past the wide part of the lake) and Willow Beach. You will most likely want to start with a full tank at Katherine's and top off at Willow Beach. WB is on the river just below the dam.

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Sounds like a nice put.....never done it

Outnumbered
06-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Here is a map and some more info:
http://www.riverlakes.com/maps,_lake_mohave.htm

DILLIGAF
06-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Get to CC and have breakfast early. The basin can get pretty wild with the winds in the PM. What size boat do you have?

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 07:40 PM
The basin can get pretty wild with the winds in the PM.
AKA Lake Mo-WINDY

DILLIGAF
06-10-2006, 07:41 PM
AKA Lake Mo-WINDY
No, no....AKA Lake MoChoppy :)

SDLifesaver
06-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Get to CC and have breakfast early. The basin can get pretty wild with the winds in the PM. What size boat do you have?
That's our boat in the sig picture. 28' Deck Boat. How long is the drive from Catherines?

DILLIGAF
06-10-2006, 08:27 PM
That's our boat in the sig picture. 28' Deck Boat. How long is the drive from Catherines?
62 miles from Dam to Dam. You should be fine. It is beautiful when you get up past CC and the water starts to narrow. I have done it many times before but if you have never done it I highly recommend it. The canyons get very narrow and it is like being in the Grand Canyon (on a much smaller scale of course). The water gets very cold up there so don't just jump in.

SDLifesaver
06-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Here is a map and some more info:
http://www.riverlakes.com/maps,_lake_mohave.htm
Thanks John. I am going to make a copy of that to take with us.

cola
06-10-2006, 08:40 PM
62 miles from Dam to Dam. You should be fine. It is beautiful when you get up past CC and the water starts to narrow. I have done it many times before but if you have never done it I highly recommend it. The canyons get very narrow and it is like being in the Grand Canyon (on a much smaller scale of course). The water gets very cold up there so don't just jump in.
Your a pussy if you dont dive in at the dam. I cold :)

SDLifesaver
06-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Nobody has said how long the drive is. 62 miles at 60mph would only take an hour but narrow spots and slower speeds and water conditions will change everything.

TRUMP TIGHT
06-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Me and DILLIGAF have done it in a 23ft commander with our lab bouncing all over the place with a three foot chop!! You should be fine.

TRUMP TIGHT
06-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Nobody has said how long the drive is. 62 miles at 60mph would only take an hour but narrow spots and slower speeds and water conditions will change everything.
2 hrs with varied speed 50 to 70 and breakfast.

RitcheyRch
06-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Looks and sounds like a nice ride.

cola
06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
It's a nice day trip. Just run 40 or so and enjoy the it. Last warm water is the big right hand corner after you start up the narrow part off the lake. Nice cove on your right. You will be fine on gas if you hold 90 or so gal. I do it with fuel left with the HP500EFI. The river is marked very well with mileage signs, odd on left even on right. Makes it nice to know how far you have left.
Have fun Nick.
Late, Mike

Desert Rat
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
The hot springs are nice too, though your boat may be a little big to get into the little cove that you have to anchor in. The current at the hot springs is flat Moooovin!!

SDLifesaver
06-10-2006, 09:16 PM
It's a nice day trip. Just run 40 or so and enjoy the it. Last warm water is the big right hand corner after you start up the narrow part off the lake. Nice cove on your right. You will be fine on gas if you hold 90 or so gal. I do it with fuel left with the HP500EFI. The river is marked very well with mileage signs, odd on left even on right. Makes it nice to know how far you have left.
Have fun Nick.
Late, Mike
Thanks Mike. Our boat hols 80 so we should be OK. Do you drive up to CC or launch at Kathrines?

cola
06-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks Mike. Our boat hols 80 so we should be OK. Do you drive up to CC or launch at Kathrines?
Kathrines, & I have launched at Willow once. CC would not be to bad with the cost of gas and the launch is not as bad from what I here. I wont use Kathrines for day use on the weekends again. If I have a slip & stay at the motel there is the only way.

SDLifesaver
06-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Kathrines, & I have launched at Willow once. CC would not be to bad with the cost of gas and the launch is not as bad from what I here. I wont use Kathrines for day use on the weekends again. If I have a slip & stay at the motel there is the only way.
Thanks alot. We are going on a Sun, Mon, Tues organized FD trip. I will use Kathrines one day and then Cottonwood another day as we are staying in Laughlin at night. Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Nick

JetBoatRich
06-11-2006, 06:03 AM
You are not allowed passed Willow Beach Sun and Monday :rolleyes:
Great run :cool: have fun :cool:

Playbuoy
06-11-2006, 06:59 AM
You are not allowed passed Willow Beach Sun and Monday :rolleyes:
Great run :cool: have fun :cool:
Yup, was waiting for someone to bring this up.

burtandnancy
06-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Its a fabulous week-day trip. Don't forget the hot springs...

Kilrtoy
06-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Enjoy Nick, it is awesome....

SDLifesaver
06-12-2006, 05:12 AM
[QUOTE=JetBoatRich]You are not allowed passed Willow Beach Sun and Monday :rolleyes:
Great run :cool: have fun :cool:[/QUOT
Thanks, we will head up on Tuesday.

TPI
06-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Nick,
We will be up there from Sun 18th through Sun 25th. Plan on 4+ hours EASILY for your trip up to the dam. By the time you stop a few times, maybe watch the "rams" on the cliffs butting heads and take pictures, it will be at least 4 hours camp to camp. Enjoy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe we will see you?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383z117m.JPG

SDLifesaver
06-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Nick,
We will be up there from Sun 18th through Sun 25th. Plan on 4+ hours EASILY for your trip up to the dam. By the time you stop a few times, maybe watch the "rams" on the cliffs butting heads and take pictures, it will be at least 4 hours camp to camp. Enjoy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe we will see you?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383z117m.JPG
Can you anchor off right there? How deep is it? We will only be up there on the 9,10,11 of July and then we are going back to havasu for a few more days. Do you have any trips planned before the regatta?

TPI
06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
I dont think you would want to anchor there. It seems like it's 30+ feet and the water is moving pretty fast. I think they only want people checking it out and moving along,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Sometimes the rangers will drive down and watch you, giving the impression they dont want you loitering. It is worth the trip. We just have this next week and the 6-11 of July planned.
I wasnt joking about the "Rams"
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383215cutm.JPG

SDLifesaver
06-12-2006, 04:18 PM
I dont think you would want to anchor there. It seems like it's 30+ feet and the water is moving pretty fast. I think they only want people checking it out and moving along,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Sometimes the rangers will drive down and watch you, giving the impression they dont want you loitering. It is worth the trip. We just have this next week and the 6-11 of July planned.
I wasnt joking about the "Rams"
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383215cutm.JPG
Thanks for the info Gary. We are leaving Friday and coming home Monday afternoon and then our trips are pretty consistant the rest of the summer because school is out. See you out there or at the regatta. Nick

phebus
06-12-2006, 04:52 PM
If you anchored at the damn, I think the rope would freeze :)

SDLifesaver
06-12-2006, 04:57 PM
If you anchored at the damn, I think the rope would freeze :)
Good thing all my ropes have no nerve endings :crossx:

SDLifesaver
06-12-2006, 06:46 PM
How do you get to Cottonwood Cove from Laughlin driving? The map shows it on the opposite side of the lake from katherines. More help needed.

little rowe boat
06-12-2006, 06:48 PM
We are going to try and do a run to the dam,sometime this summer.

SDLifesaver
06-12-2006, 06:54 PM
We are going to try and do a run to the dam,sometime this summer.
Can you go Tuesday July 11?

JetBoatRich
06-12-2006, 06:56 PM
How do you get to Cottonwood Cove from Laughlin driving? The map shows it on the opposite side of the lake from katherines. More help needed.
Hwy 95 up to searchlight :cool: right out of Luaghlin, nice uphill climb. Right after Terrible Herbst Gas station look for the sign on the right. You will make a right, take the road all the way down to the ramp.

Desert Rat
06-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Hwy 95 up to searchlight :cool: right out of Luaghlin, nice uphill climb. Right after Terrible Herbst Gas station look for the sign on the right. You will make a right, take the road all the way down to the ramp.
Left out of Laughlin and up the hill the rest is "right" :D

socalmofo
06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Anyone up for making a run on June 29th or 30th?
My girlfriend and I have a slip at Katherine's and have really been wanting to go. Just need someone to go with us. Nobody in our group wants to go. If anyone wants to go we would definetly be up for it.

little rowe boat
06-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Can you go Tuesday July 11?
No, it will have to be a weekend. Due to my wifes work schedule.

STV_Keith
06-13-2006, 12:20 PM
21 miles from Katherines to Cottonwood Cove by water. Another 30/31 to Willow Beach, then 9 to the dam.
Anyone up for making a run on June 29th or 30th?
My girlfriend and I have a slip at Katherine's and have really been wanting to go. Just need someone to go with us. Nobody in our group wants to go. If anyone wants to go we would definetly be up for it.
Might consider the weekend before - the Las Vegas Hot Boat guys are having a deal then. Here's a thread about it: http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=448f1d330ec5ffff;act=ST;f=6;t=5603

Beer-30
06-13-2006, 12:23 PM
A few of us will be there:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118028

socalmofo
06-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Those sound good but I am going out for 4th of July and wanted to see if anyone is gonna be there Thurs/Fri also and wanted to make a dam run.
If anyone is interested let me know, I really want to see this dam!!