PDA

View Full Version : Guys doing the 26-28 Cat hunt...............

TriSum
01-19-2002, 12:47 AM
Read the posts of all the people looking into the mid size cats. Curious if anyone has bought, and if so what they ended up buying. I'm in the process of looking myself and wondering if anyone has come up with new info. Thanks, Dave

Turbojack
01-19-2002, 07:59 AM
Read my post in other thread on 26 Daytona

Cole
01-19-2002, 09:37 AM
Hey trisum also check my post "bought a new boat over ney years" I spent about two years on shopping for a boat,and was sold on the 26 daytona but just never followed up on the purchase,I ended up going with the
e-ticket because well... the deal they gave me http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif..... the boat is just georgeous,
Real f-16 fighter canopies, a very wide stance low profile and just... FAST!!!!!!!
I really wanted something that looked updated and fresh in a cat, and the price they offered i just couldn't refuse Cole

TriSum
01-19-2002, 07:38 PM
I like the Daytona 26, but I think may be out of my price range. I'm also trying to get something I can put my own power in. Not sure how many companies will allow this. I'm heading out to the boat show in Phoenix next weekend to check out the different manufacturers. I will checkout the E-ticket and see.
Any other info from folks on good or bad of different boats will be helpful. Thanks Dave

Richard Cranium
01-19-2002, 09:12 PM
I was pretty impressed by the quality of the Laveycraft 27'. It uses bagged constructiuon to save weight and I believe they'll sell a boat without power too.
Marv

kanedog
01-19-2002, 10:36 PM
My wife & I bought an elimnator 26ft cat about 2 months ago. We looked at the Cougar 27 MTR model cat. The company and workmanship are unbelievable. They took us through their shop on an unannounced visit,showed us everything they did,told us how long they have been around and how they work with the customer all the way through the boat building process. They dont lie about speeds and they are a reliable,experienced company.They do everything themselves except trailer and stand behind their products 100 %.I think they have been in business 23yrs and build a great product as well as workmasnship is impeccable.Strong hulls as I have ridden in one.This may sound like a plug for cougar but its not as we went with eliminator because of the canopies.(cool looking)
Trying to find anything out about your boat while its being built at eliminator,well,you will have better luck sticking a beer bottle up your dogs ass and getting him to shake a paw at the same time.Quality of boat seems great but haven't had it on the water yet. Gelcoat-super.Price-40k for a blank-paint and upholstery only.The paint was custom and was 9k included in that price.
Watch the quotes you get as Cougar includes a trailer in thier price while most others do not.good luck and ask lots of questions and get everything in writing before anything.

kanedog
01-19-2002, 10:41 PM
Elimniator will sell blanks but remember your getting into boating season soon and lots of them will be busy,promise you a date done by and not keep their promises once you commit.
Parts will soon be hard to attain as the season starts soon and im sure you want to be on the water this summer.
We also phoned laveycraft-they returned calls and seemed very accomodating to sell a boat and were very nice.Isaw that they have a 27ft for 80k. Dont quote me on that but i saw it on another post somewhere

Mn Howard Cat
01-23-2002, 03:09 PM
My wife and I Bought a Howard 26 and as like you we looked for a bout two years and persistence payed off. We found a used Howard at the Boat brokers with forty hours on it and in grate shape and with more power in it then I was going to pout in a new won. I would say go for a test ride in a cat with about the same power you wont to see how it rides and handels. Have Fun and let us all know what you get.
P.S. On the bad news side we havent the chance to play with our new toy yet can't wait for spring.

Charley
01-26-2002, 08:39 PM
I looked long and hard for a new Cat.. and ended up with a DCB Mach26....I have had absolutely NO regrets with the boat, or my after purchase dealings with Dave Hemmingson the owner.....DCB ROCKS

RIPNIK67
01-27-2002, 06:12 PM
If any one is interested in purchaseing a Cat. I got one for sale Year 2000 30 foot Elite Catamaran Pace Boat with triple 2.5 EFI's Merc's.
[This message has been edited by RIPNIK67 (edited January 27, 2002).]

Cole
01-27-2002, 07:13 PM
Ripnik67 what are some of the details, price top speed year of the motors colors and any pics???
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Cole

B-rad502
01-27-2002, 07:22 PM
We checked out the Magic 28 Cat yesterday at the show and were very impressed. The boat we looked at had a 500EFI, xz drive, external steering,and all the goodies riding on a triple trailer for 85k. They say the boat runs 85 mph with that set up. It looks to me that Sleek/Magic build one hell of a boat at a fantastic price. 2+ years until we can work a deal on one!
Brad

TriSum
01-27-2002, 07:41 PM
That Magic was a nice looking boat. What did you think of the Force Offshore's? Looked like a nice boat for the price.

RIPNIK67
01-28-2002, 07:08 AM
Cole, It's a Year 2000 Elite Catamaran (it is a custom built boat) (like a skater) 1998 2.5's EFI Mercurys, bought them out of the box year and half ago, orginal spark plugs in them, Top speed is 108- 112 all day long.TV-VCR, porta potty, lots of storage. I just don't get the time to use the boat in Illinois it's pretty cold here, plus have a three year old http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I'm not sure how to post a picture on this, so I will email you some.

catnaround
01-28-2002, 09:35 AM
B-Rad, we have also looked and rode in the new Magic. My dad liked it so much, he bought one. We rode in one with a 500, ran about 81-82 w/ 3 people and one tank was pretty full. The boat handles the rough water very well.

boatdoc
01-28-2002, 10:37 AM
I agree, the Force boats at the Pheonix boat show where some great looking packages. Did you notice all the features their stock boat is equipted with and the rigging quality.

TriSum
01-29-2002, 08:57 PM
Doc, yes I did. I talked with the owner of Boat Plex (Ryan) for about an hour, nice guy, seems like he has built his business on good products and loyal customer service. He was very comfortable putting his companies reputation behind the Force. Definately one of the boats on my list to choose from.

boatdoc
01-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Trisum, My Wife and I will be heading out to Ontario this week for a test ride in one of the 29' Force'. I will fill you in after the test ride.
The Doc.

TriSum
01-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Doc, Excellent! I'm curious as to how it compares. I was amazed when he told me that the 26 gets on plane in 1.7 seconds, and with the same prop will do 85. Hmmm... Let me know what you come up with. Dave

boatdoc
02-04-2002, 09:00 AM
Trisum, It's all true! I finally got out to Ontario for a test run. The boat really does plain in 1.7seconds and goes 80 mph+ with the same propeller. I also got a sneak preview of their new walk thru, It's going to be a real nice ride with a lot of room.
I think I will be placing a deposit on the cuddy cabin this week along with one of their 540" packages.
The Doc.

Charley
02-04-2002, 09:41 AM
hey boatdoc are you affiliated with Force?

gimprvr
02-04-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Charley:
hey boatdoc are you affiliated with Force?
Hey Charley, I bet you don't get an answer.

MrHavasuCat
02-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Charley,
I was thinking the same thing but was afraid to say anything. Last time I did the person attacked me claiming that I was starting shit. But I agree it sure seems like a promotion to me.

boatdoc
02-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Charley, Sorry, but I am not affiliated with the Force boat company. I am just someone who is very interested in their product and have been very impressed by such a young company. Also if I do buy one of their boats I would like people who see me at the river to know what a quality boat I have.
The Doc.

TriSum
02-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Did I miss something in regards to Force? Why can't someone say they like there product without being accused of working for them?
Doc- One thing I can't get past is NO snap in carpet. I know what my carpet smells like after a Havasu weekend, not pretty! I have also been told to check the "layup thickness" may be thin to get the speed out of the boat. Not sure, just here say. Did you go out in the 26 or 29? E-mail me direct and give me some more info. Thanks

Charley
02-05-2002, 08:50 AM
Trysum, I just asked a simple question..Sorry If my suspicions are incorrect and If I am incorrect my apologies in advance, but heres my case...
#1 It sounds like he does, the way he talks in his posts...especially "IT'S ALL TRUE"
#2 This one I did a little research on please notice the IP addresses
posted 11/5/01 as member name “force offshore”
Force Offshore is owned exclusively by Brad Ayres. Art, who was selling American Offshores 3 years ago, purchased a Force Offshore in the past year. Other than that he has no affiliation with Force Offshore. Reguarding the interior, we use Alanti soft touch vinyl which is one of the highest grade vinyls available. We have redesigned the engine hatches with more stability. Please compare the quality of our rigging and glass work to any of the top builders in the industry, and Im sure you will be satisfied with our finished product.
IP: 205.188.200.57
Posted 1/28/02 as member “BOATDOC “
I agree, the Force boats at the Pheonix boat show where some great looking packages. Did you notice all the features their stock boat is equipted with and the rigging quality.
IP: 205.188.197.174
The 2 IP addresses are close enough to cause Greater suspicion for me..
#3 If you go on Boat Docs member profile his website is boatpart.com and the only link on the website is to force offshore..by the way the link doesn't work...
#4 Boatpart.com is in Riverside, Force is in Fontana 30 miles away from each other....I would think they would know alot about each other being in a common industry "boating"
#5 I question why a guy who owns boatpart.com would be talking about buying a boat with Forces 540 in it? why not buy all his parts at wholesale and make his own 540?
I sincerely hope I'm wrong, and I sincerely don't mean to offend anyone, so boat doc if you are not affiliated with Force I apologize if you were offended by my question, but I do have my suspicions.
Trysum people made comments re: other manufacturers but you didn't express to much interest in DCB or Eliminator or Howard...but you mentioned the Magic...Thats a gorgeous boat, and I think its got a talon based bottom, so its proven....and Force makes a good looking boat too....I'm sure you will make a good decision...good luck and happy hunting.....

Craig
02-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Man Charlie, you do think about this stuff don't you?!!! The 2 boats at the boatshow were good looking boats. The only reservation I'd have is about some alledged on-going litigation between Carrera and Force. I heard the 29 was a splash of the Carrera 257 and that Dennis, the owner of Carrera, now has the Force mold???? A friend asked abouth this at the Force display and couldn't get a straight answer. Tends to make you start looking closer at everything.
Craig

boatdoc
02-05-2002, 05:01 PM
Charlie, I think Trisum had a great point that it sucks someone cannot express their opinion about a product without being accused of working for that company. I do have an address in Riverside, CA and an address in Glendale, AZ. I have not mentioned anything about the other boat manufactures because I do not want to waste my time. Unlike you I have alot to do in a day and don't like wasting time.
I have chosen the Force company for their quality and unique style, they have also given me great customer service.
As for the rumor that Carrera has Force's molds, that is not true. I personaly watched them laying up a 29' mold in process at their plant. I did call Force today and they explained to me that there is no such situation between Carrera and Force.

TriSum
02-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Charley- fair enough! I didn't look into it that far. If he is associated with Force that is a crappy way of doing business. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible so I can make an educated decision.
Craig- The guy working the at the Phoenix show for Carrera said they had sued Force for copying the bottom. They settled by Force giving them a copy of the mold. So Carrera will be coming out with a 29 very soon.

Craig
02-05-2002, 06:10 PM
Boatdoc, Trisum thanks for clearing that up. Doesn't really change things, still a good looking boat!
Craig

Charley
02-05-2002, 08:16 PM
Well Boatdoc you seem a bit defensive to me, especially considering I apologized in advance if I was mistaken. I would like to answer you directly
your comment: Charlie, I think Trisum had a great point that it sucks someone cannot express their opinion about a product without being accused of working for that company.
My answer: I constantly and whole heartedly promote DCB in person and on hb.net and other boards, and no one has ever accused me of being affiliated with them.
your comment: I have not mentioned anything about the other boat manufactures because I do not want to waste my time.
my answer: If you think shopping around on a $100,000 investment is a waste of your time then boatpart.com must have an amazing profit margin!
your comment: Unlike you I have alot to do in a day and don't like wasting time.
my answer: As if my wife, 2 kids and boating don't take up a bit of my time, I'm also the owner of 2 companies, one of which is out of state. I proudly employ 26 people in the greatest nation in the world the USA
My final comment? If you really are a boat rigger who owns a boat part business, and your not affiliated with Force, then why would you buy one of thier boats with a 540 in it? I mean for god sakes wouldn't you want to make your own motor and Rig It?
I'm sorry Boat Doc, I hope I'm wrong about you, and If I am I WILL APOLOGIZE, but looking at your last post , it's tone and IP address I'm sticking with my original opinion. Did I mention I like the looks of the Force 29? I do.

Cole
02-06-2002, 06:19 AM
Charlie..........Who cares!!!!!!!!!!let him enjoy his purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

Force Offshore
02-06-2002, 09:47 AM
To Whom it May Concern, Force Offshore has never had any litigation with Carrera. We have tooled our 26 and 29 foot cats and are currently tooling a 32 foot cat and a 39 V-bottom. If there is any questions of our capabilities to tool our own products, please feel free to come by the shop for a tour. We would like to find out the person who is spreading these rumors at the Phoenix boat show so we could clear up this matter as soon as possible. Any customers from Phoenix who want to look at our product, we now have a new Phoenix dealer "Extreme Marine". (602)749-0798 contact http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gifustin Wolff
Thank You
Force Offshore

Nokomis
02-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Force Offshore...
Better check your homepage link in your profile.

rivercrazy
02-06-2002, 11:36 AM
Boatdoc IP addresses:
Force Offshore IP addresses:
Hhhhmmmm. Pretty similar but how knows...