PDA

View Full Version : panther diverter

wrenchdaddy
01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Anybody tried any home made panther diverters or had any ideas. Just wondering, im trying to come up with something to try

taylormanss
01-04-2006, 07:07 PM
did ya sell your boat?

Squirtin Thunder
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
If I were going to make something like that I would neck it down(from square to round) so I could run the Place nozzel inserts.

jrork
01-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Not yet but I hope to one of these days.
Squirt,
Gotta show my ignorance but what would be the gains of the nozzle inserts on a Panther? I'm still green on all this stuff........
Thanks........John

wrenchdaddy
01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
i thik they aready have a mod that basically is a berk nozzle on a panther jet, but the diameter is a lot smaller and panthers don;t like small openings. I've heard it hurts performance. No Taylorman I haven't sold it, no bites in a long time. Im just gonna wai till summer i guess.

malcolm
01-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah, if your going to put a trim on a Panther you'd better leave the opening size the same. Those axial flows don't need pressure, it'd just slow them down.

Cas
01-04-2006, 09:38 PM
here ya go, best conversion yet
before
http://www.jetboatperformance.com/images/uploads/jbpconversionb4.jpg
after
http://www.jetboatperformance.com/images/uploads/jbpconversionafter.jpg
and yes, it's still a Panther...kind of. The conversion basically turns it into an E pump.
For all the skinny and pricing, contact Tom at Jet Boat Performance at (805) 466-4719
and Jim, as Wrenchdaddy and Malcolm said, Panthers don't like pressure and reducing the nozzle size will do just that.

Cas
01-04-2006, 09:43 PM
oh yea, if you give Tom a call, let him know I let you know about it. There's going to be a press release on it real soon. Parts are being cast.

wrenchdaddy
01-05-2006, 05:20 AM
geez that looks crazy, im not sure i wanna know how much that baby is gonna cost, looks like a berk to me. did they just ream out the inside to make it bigger so it will flow or what?

Cas
01-05-2006, 08:39 AM
from what I understand, the only thing utilized from a Panther is the intake, everything else is converted. I'm hoping to take a trip down to visit with Tom in the near future.

jrork
01-05-2006, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=Cas]here ya go, best conversion yet
before
after
QUOTE]
Oh Damn. That thing is purty. Hey Malcolm, would you still laugh at my boat if I did that to it?

Cas
01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
you want to know the cost yet?

jrork
01-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I hate to think. Probably have to sell the house and live in the boat huh?

malcolm
01-05-2006, 08:00 PM
That's what I was talking about a while ago. An Energizer kit. :D
John, I couldn't joke about all that scratch! :jawdrop: Looks impressive.

Cas
01-05-2006, 08:32 PM
well, I really don't think it's all that bad considering what some people are paying for things....$2300.00 or so. Jet Boat Performance hasn't got the final pricing for the casting but that price will be pretty close.
I may have spoken up a little too soon about this conversion as it really isn't available yet. Hopefully it will be ready for the market within the next 5 or 6 weeks.

BrendellaJet
01-05-2006, 09:14 PM
$2300? hmmmm-I bet for a lot less money you could come up with a mixed flow pump and spend some of the money saved on detailing the impeller. Any word oin how that thing works?

jrork
01-06-2006, 05:50 PM
$2300
Well, it's more than I've got but not as bad as I thought it was gonna be.
I'm just not at that level of go fast. Matter of fact, I'm not at any level of go fast. I might as well mount a electric trolling motor on the bow and call it a fishin boat......

Sleek-Jet
01-07-2006, 09:12 AM
That's thinking outside the box... :D
So, 2300 includes the E pump, correct??? Or, is that just the flange and the customer would have to supply the pump???

Cas
01-07-2006, 09:53 AM
You will have to get ahold of Tom for all the particulars. I just saw it on his website and then gave him a call for a little info.
Brendella-
How much for a split bowl mixed flow pump? $500 used?
how much for a set back? From what I've read and heard $2500.+ and then add in a $500 transom plate is a good price.
that right there is $3500.00.....$2300.00 sounds pretty good to me.

BrendellaJet
01-07-2006, 06:24 PM
You will have to get ahold of Tom for all the particulars. I just saw it on his website and then gave him a call for a little info.
Brendella-
How much for a split bowl mixed flow pump? $500 used?
how much for a set back? From what I've read and heard $2500.+ and then add in a $500 transom plate is a good price.
that right there is $3500.00.....$2300.00 sounds pretty good to me.
Well, if you shop I bet you could get a pump for less. My setback cost me nothing. My transom adapter cost me $15 in materials. Guess it all depends on if you go the DIY route or farm it out. Not knockin the kit, just seems like a band-aid fix (without any word on how good it works...)

Cas
01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Well, if you shop I bet you could get a pump for less. My setback cost me nothing. My transom adapter cost me $15 in materials. Guess it all depends on if you go the DIY route or farm it out. Not knockin the kit, just seems like a band-aid fix (without any word on how good it works...)
I'll let the designer talk about the actual performance. What I know is with a stock BBC/Panther, the boat did 56mph@5200 rpms....I think the Panther was a bit tired. Same engine, same boat with the conversion, 56@4200 rpms.

taylormanss
01-08-2006, 07:43 AM
here ya go, best conversion yet
before
after
and yes, it's still a Panther...kind of. The conversion basically turns it into an E pump.
For all the skinny and pricing, contact Tom at Jet Boat Performance at (805) 466-4719
and Jim, as Wrenchdaddy and Malcolm said, Panthers don't like pressure and reducing the nozzle size will do just that.
why did ya blurr the pic?

taylormanss
01-08-2006, 07:46 AM
geez that looks crazy, im not sure i wanna know how much that baby is gonna cost, looks like a berk to me. did they just ream out the inside to make it bigger so it will flow or what?
hey wrenchdaddy get your boat in order and come up to lake texoma on memorial day weekend! go over to texas***boats.com for more info.

Cas
01-08-2006, 10:12 AM
why did ya blurr the pic?
I just copied the pictures off JBP's website and pasted them here. I'm thinking that's probably the proprietary section that is still under wraps for awhile?

jrork
01-08-2006, 01:28 PM
I'll let the designer talk about the actual performance. What I know is with a stock BBC/Panther, the boat did 56mph@5200 rpms....I think the Panther was a bit tired. Same engine, same boat with the conversion, 56@4200 rpms.
Hmmm,
I'm at 64 at 5900. Way too much rpm. This just might be the ticket if I rob a bank.
Until then, I guess I'll limp along this old Panther.