PDA

View Full Version : Charging batteries

Danhercules
06-11-2006, 07:29 AM
I have two batteries in my new boat. I have a A, B, Both and Off switch. I had the batteries on off and charged them indvidualy. They are now fully charged. My question is, can I put the switch to "Both" and keep the charger on one battery on 2 amp trickel and keep them both topped off?

Wicked Performance Boats
06-11-2006, 08:05 AM
yes BL

Rexone
06-11-2006, 08:11 AM
2 amps is too much and over time will kill them. Get a battery tender type device for extended top off. They cut down to miliamps. Trickle chargers over extended periods are one of the biggest killers of good batteries.

Danhercules
06-11-2006, 11:05 AM
2 amps is too much and over time will kill them. Get a battery tender type device for extended top off. They cut down to miliamps. Trickle chargers over extended periods are one of the biggest killers of good batteries.
When I am talking keeping them topped off, I mean for the week. I am heading out next weekend. I got a new stereo and want the batteries in top shape.
I will look into a tender type device. What do you think about the solor ones?

Jordy
06-11-2006, 11:17 AM
I got a new stereo and want the batteries in top shape.
I don't believe you about the stereo because you still haven't posted up any pics you lazy focker!!! :D :D :D

Danhercules
06-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't believe you about the stereo because you still haven't posted up any pics you lazy focker!!! :D :D :D
your right. New job workin nights and a buttload of hrs. Yea, no pics yet.

Rexone
06-11-2006, 12:46 PM
When I am talking keeping them topped off, I mean for the week. I am heading out next weekend. I got a new stereo and want the batteries in top shape.
I think the solar ones are fine if you leave the boat outside where it will get solar rays. I prefer the Battery Tender because it plugs in (inside storage).
For the week I think you'll be ok with the trickle charger if you're drawing them down every day. I was referring to long term storage not being good.

MBlaster
06-11-2006, 01:51 PM
If they are both fully charged, disconnect them both from the terminal. They should hold a full charge for the week. Usually I like to give my boat deep cycles a quick 10 amp charge a couple days before we go. I don't leave them hooked up to the terminals even though the perko is off when stored.
I use a tender on my hot rod but not on my boat deep cycles. Though I don't see why you couldn't.

shaun
06-11-2006, 11:42 PM
i read some where that a battery that's disconnected and not sitting on the ground will loose about 1% of it's charge every day. Charge them up, and the night before you go through them on the 2amp mode. Honestly the small amount they'll loose unless you have a problem (short, bad battery, etc) is minimal and wont make a difference.

Beer-30
06-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Or, you can get an on-board charger that automatically goes into maintenance mode, like the one I got:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AXW9A.01-A2FGCA43EYMFSV._AA215_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Then, all you have to do is plug/unplug one cord.