PDA

View Full Version : My Jetboat project

likwidsukr
06-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know what this is or a splash of? It is exactly 16.5 feet. And very lightweight. I sanded the clearcoat couple layers of black and some badass primer. i actually used a razor on the black for the most part but sanded the rest down to the original BROWN AND ANOTHER SHADE OF BROWN gelcoat. Not bad shape for its age.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484JETBOAT_PROJECT_003.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484JETBOAT_PROJECT_002.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484JETBOAT_PROJECT_001.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484JETBOAT_PROJECT_005.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484JETBOAT_PROJECT_006.jpg

likwidsukr
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
OK so I'm not the most popular guy but damn 178 views and no comments. WTF. Do I have spinach in my teeth Is it cuz I'm white?? Or maybe cuz my three nipples.

IMPATIENT 1
06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Looks Like A Sanger Superjet Or Hondo. They Make Paint Stripper For Boats,klean Strip Fiberglass Paint Remover,shits Awesome On Boats!!!no Gel Damage!!

Rick Reiling
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
im 99% sure its a sanger, looks like my old one, ill post a pic if i can dig one up :cool:

likwidsukr
06-12-2006, 01:49 PM
im 99% sure its a sanger, looks like my old one, ill post a pic if i can dig one up :cool:
Looks Like A Sanger Superjet Or Hondo. They Make Paint Stripper For Boats,klean Strip Fiberglass Paint Remover,shits Awesome On Boats!!!no Gel Damage!!
cOOL . I WAS GOING TO TRY SOME OF THAT AND i WILL ON BOTTOM. tHE TOP HAS ALOT OF PLACES THAT HAS THE FIBERGLASS SHOWING (WORN SPOTS i GUESS THATS WHY IT WAS PAINTED)<<<SORRY CAPS
I guess if you are carefull I can use the remover, But I was bored so I spent all day razoring and sanding.

poncho-pwr
06-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Because of it's length I was gonna guess Wriedt or CeeBee.

likwidsukr
06-12-2006, 02:15 PM
im 99% sure its a sanger, looks like my old one, ill post a pic if i can dig one up :cool: I hope you find some pics I would like to see some of these done.
I had this boat running at BOTE at Lake Anna 2 years ago, It had the name Rats ass II I hope to get this running soon. It had a 350 in it. A 460 Is going in it now.

Squirtcha?
06-12-2006, 03:15 PM
OK so I'm not the most popular guy but damn 178 views and no comments. WTF. Do I have spinach in my teeth Is it cuz I'm white?? Or maybe cuz my three nipples.
It's the third nipple.

promod
06-12-2006, 04:08 PM
hey lik i told you those chevy motors run alot better than those fords lol
bout time you got you lazy butt to work, and spend some of that money you got with rust on it :cry:

likwidsukr
06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
It's the third nipple.
Dan I had to get some attention somehow!! :idea:
i guess the thought of a 3rd nipple did it! :rollside:

likwidsukr
06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
bout time you got you lazy butt to work, and spend some of that money you got with rust on it :cry:
I guess we will see a FORD is goin in this little bitch G, :crossx: You goin to Augusta This year?
I had to go get it. For those who do not know. I live in Tampa The boat was in Roanoke Va. 13 hour drive one way. Wife :cry: cuz of gas. I told her I was goin to see my parents...In the truck :argue:
The engine is still there. Waiting on the good stuff ;)

corlish
06-12-2006, 04:38 PM
That is the early Tahiti/Weiman/Rogers bottom that is cut down from the orignal Glastron Aqua-lift design.
The deck is kind of throwing me at the rear the way it tapers down to the transom otherwise it is all early Tahiti (as in late 60's-early 70's). The drop in the gunnels is a little more pronounced than the early Tahiti/Weiman/Rogers though, so with that and the rear of the deck, maybe it is a splash of one of the above?
I have an '71 18' Rogers that is very similar to yours that I am about to finish after waaay too long of a project. No first hand experience, but they are supposed to be a very good "riding" boat but a little on the unsafe side at the more extreme end of the performance envelope due to a tendancy to bow-steer.
Corey

likwidsukr
06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
That is the early Tahiti/Weiman/Rogers bottom that is cut down from the orignal Glastron Aqua-lift design.
The deck is kind of throwing me at the rear the way it tapers down to the transom otherwise it is all early Tahiti (as in late 60's-early 70's). The drop in the gunnels is a little more pronounced than the early Tahiti/Weiman/Rogers though, so with that and the rear of the deck, maybe it is a splash of one of the above?
I have an '71 18' Rogers that is very similar to yours that I am about to finish after waaay too long of a project. No first hand experience, but they are supposed to be a very good "riding" boat but a little on the unsafe side at the more extreme end of the performance envelope due to a tendancy to bow-steer.
Corey
THE BOAT IS A CUTLASS 16
I hope Olrigger reads this. Rich 's knowledge on these boats is legendary!!
What does your boat measure out at, Actual length and if you know weight? I can pick up the rear of the boat with the jet drive still in and I am not big. 185 or so.
Not sure on weight but it is not heavy. 400 lbs or so. I had this boat in the 60's and observed no bow steer. I plan to go in the upper 70's with this hull. Not much more LOL
Thanks for the heads up. I will take it easy ...at first.

likwidsukr
06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
If you remember the 350 blew up :cry:

likwidsukr
06-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Look at this one it is an 85 Carribean 18.5 looks close. Where is the Carribean made?
http://i20.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/63/49/c8_12.JPG
mine 16.5
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484JETBOAT_PROJECT_003.jpg

old rigger
06-13-2006, 06:24 AM
likwid,
that is, like corlish said, the old Tahiti bottom but it's been lengthed by a foot or so. All the original Tahiti's and it's many, many copies have the angled corners like this one...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/3633toms001.jpg
That Cutlass is the exact same boat as the early Weiman. Had a Weiman for my first boat when I was young and a high school friend had the splashed Cutlass. They, the cutlass were built local here in so cal, I can't remember the city. Maybe Cypress? I dunno. Anyway here's Roger Weiman racing one of the early, original Weimans...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/1weiman2.jpg
The Carribean was built by Tahiti when they were owned by Hardin, who were the last to produce the Tahiti until they went tits up in the early 90's, so that later bottom you showed might very well have it's roots way back the begining. :)

likwidsukr
06-13-2006, 12:12 PM
likwid,
that is, like corlish said, the old Tahiti bottom but it's been lengthed by a foot or so. All the original Tahiti's and it's many, many copies have the angled corners like this one...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/3633toms001.jpg
That Cutlass is the exact same boat as the early Weiman. Had a Weiman for my first boat when I was young and a high school friend had the splashed Cutlass. They, the cutlass were built local here in so cal, I can't remember the city. Maybe Cypress? I dunno. Anyway here's Roger Weiman racing one of the early, original Weimans...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/1weiman2.jpg
The Carribean was built by Tahiti when they were owned by Hardin, who were the last to produce the Tahiti until they went tits up in the early 90's, so that later bottom you showed might very well have it's roots way back the begining. :)
There you have it fellas. The man is good! Old Rigger you mind if I keep the old photo? I love those old ones. Do you you know of any hi-speed problems with those hulls? Or heard of any bow steer?

jetboat
06-13-2006, 01:09 PM
hope you know what your in for,just finishing my project in about a year.if you are the handy type,it's a money saving big time.looks like mine at first,have the dream ideas and go for it.

old rigger
06-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Do you you know of any hi-speed problems with those hulls? Or heard of any bow steer?
You nailed it, bow steer. Not a problem til you get off the gas and that deep entry digs in..bow steer, spin out, getting thrown through the side of the hull...that kinda stuff happening at speed, 75 and above, led Roger to develop the later version on his legendary 18 footer. THAT later hull was and is the best 18 foot jet boat ever designed.
Still, you'd be hard pressed to find a better riding hull than the one you have now with that deep nose. Lots of fun those boats are.
By all means keep the picture. If I come across more, I'll send them your way. :)

likwidsukr
06-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Rich do you remember what colors that boat was. I like the way the stripe runs down to the back~

72wreidt72
06-13-2006, 05:07 PM
the one in my avatar is a 72 wreidt here is a pic from the back sorry its small...

72wreidt72
06-13-2006, 05:08 PM
the one in my avatar is a 72 wreidt I am trying to attach some other pic but this thing is pissing me off :mad:

72wreidt72
06-13-2006, 05:09 PM
the one in my avatar is a 72 wreidt I am trying to attach some more pics for you but this technical shat is not letting me do it. :mad:

72wreidt72
06-13-2006, 05:23 PM
what the phuck it says that it didn't post then makes me look like a jackass and post three times! :mad:

likwidsukr
06-16-2006, 03:44 PM
what the phuck it says that it didn't post then makes me look like a jackass and post three times! :mad:
Lol dont worry about it the forum was having problems. Nice boat real simular to mine a little different at rear maybe hard to tell. What you got in there what mph you runnin??

likwidsukr
06-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Please measure your boat My boat is 16' 5" plus the pump. It is actually a 1973 Cutlass. I just looked they are so simular!

likwidsukr
06-16-2006, 05:59 PM
hope you know what your in for,just finishing my project in about a year.if you are the handy type,it's a money saving big time.looks like mine at first,have the dream ideas and go for it.
I have done 5 boats in all so far and I love it. I do have dreams good ones :p :eat: :jawdrop: :D

promod
06-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I have done 5 boats in all so far and I love it. I do have dreams good ones :p :eat: :jawdrop: :D
dreams right maybe wet ones lol i bet you think your the heat now with a 2 page thread lol just joking brother ya know i got to pic at ya since ya moved away slacker :rollside: :argue: :yuk:
get yo tell in gear and get to work slow pok
i tried to get ya back on nextel but i got busy so ya know how that goes
later tater
hollar if ya need something
Pro Mod

skeeter
06-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I had an early 16.5 foot cobra jet that looked real close to your boat. I dont have any pictures but it had a 460 with cobra jet heads. It ran well over 60 and was a nightmare in rough water. When you would back out of the throttle it would catch a wave with the nose and would spin out. I pitched a friend of mine twice in the Sacramento river. Major handfull

likwidsukr
06-17-2006, 05:36 AM
I had an early 16.5 foot cobra jet that looked real close to your boat. I dont have any pictures but it had a 460 with cobra jet heads. It ran well over 60 and was a nightmare in rough water. When you would back out of the throttle it would catch a wave with the nose and would spin out. I pitched a friend of mine twice in the Sacramento river. Major handfull
If it is the same hull I might be the setup. :D I have had this hull over 60 never had that problem I was at BOTE Anna two years ago in it if you been to that then you know what rough water is :rollside: I cleared the water on more than one occasion. I back off slowly though. Either way I will take it easy with this new motor. Thank you for the input.......

likwidsukr
06-17-2006, 05:40 AM
dreams right maybe wet ones lol i bet you think your the heat now with a 2 page thread lol just joking brother ya know i got to pic at ya since ya moved away slacker :rollside: :argue: :yuk:
get yo tell in gear and get to work slow pok
i tried to get ya back on nextel but i got busy so ya know how that goes
later tater
hollar if ya need something
Pro Mod
Yeah Yeah I know who my REAL friends are :D :D
About them dreams :lightsabe I think I need the pump rebuilt I will let ya know. The boat is down to the original gel coat.

likwidsukr
06-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I did not know how good this hull was back then. Phil Younger at the wheel of the "Menace", basically a Wreidt hull, was clocked at 104.77 mph at Whiskey Creek, California, in June, 1970. First JetBoat hull ever to go that fast.
http://www.berkeleyjet.com/images/race.jpg
Thenhe did it again in October 1971 ,APBA Record Holder
THE MENACE - Driver: Phil Younger
133 mph.
So tell me how many of you guys would drive this hull to 130 mph and beyond??

promod
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I did not know how good this hull was back then. Phil Younger at the wheel of the "Menace", basically a Wreidt hull, was clocked at 104.77 mph at Whiskey Creek, California, in June, 1970. First JetBoat hull ever to go that fast.
http://www.berkeleyjet.com/images/race.jpg
Thenhe did it again in October 1971 ,APBA Record Holder
THE MENACE - Driver: Phil Younger
133 mph.
So tell me how many of you guys would drive this hull to 130 mph and beyond??
:cry: :rolleyes:

Tahiti350
06-27-2006, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=likwidsukr]Look at this one it is an 85 Carribean 18.5 looks close. Where is the Carribean made?
http://i20.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/63/49/c8_12.JPG
This is the same rear view as my '80 Tahiti 18ST (Super Tiger??), except that mine has the 1/2 whacker hanging off it instead of a pump......

jetboat
06-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Lol dont worry about it the forum was having problems. Nice boat real simular to mine a little different at rear maybe hard to tell. What you got in there what mph you runnin??
hay bud,know whats ahead for you,lots of time with pleasure when its all done.posted my almost complete avenger jet today.check it out,this was a project with my son,what a time were having.only other advise i would give is attention to small details,look at what you need from catalogs,check out your mom and pop hardware store and make them to your needs.looking forward to updates.