PDA

View Full Version : 25 Daytona vs. Mach 26

SVO 540
04-06-2002, 11:39 PM
Is it true? I heard the DCB Mach 26 got its ass kicked by the 25 Daytona. Rumor has it that at the Performance Tunnel Boat Trials in Parker AZ the 25 Daytona ran 144 MPH and still had more left. Rumor further has it that the Mach 26 maxed out at 114 MPH. This is the event where the tunnel boat builders bring out the baddest stuff they got. Now the information I have is very limited and we will have to wait until the magazine comes out until we know the real story but I heard the Mach 26 had a Teague 1000 HP motor package and the 25 Daytona had 1350 HP. The performance of the 25 Daytona doesn't suprise me.
What does suprise me is 114 MPH from the Mach 26 with a Teague 1000 HP motor. This is 30 MPH slower that the 25 Daytona. I can recall a Hot Boat feature where a Mach 26 ran approx 111 MPH with approx 750 HP. I say approx because I don't have the magazine in front of me but I think it was a 1999 issue and the boat was on the cover.
Say it isn't so....Top Speed....114 MPH Mach 26 with a Teague 1000 HP motor.
Anybody out there have any more information about the speed trials? Is this true about the DCB Mach 26? If so, what was wrong with the boat, rigging, set up, conditions, driver or was the boost down on the motor or something causing the motor to not make 1000 HP? Why would DCB bring a boat that only runs 114 MPH with 1000 HP? They would have been much better running 111 MPH with 750 HP.
What's up?
SVO 540 - OUT

Craig
04-07-2002, 05:25 AM
I guess in flat out speed, yes, the DCB got waxed. But, I'd venture to say we're not comparing appples to apples here. We need to wait until the magazine comes out so we can see ALL the boat specs besides top speed. The Daytona could have been set up fo max speed and reliability not even an issue. What about weight? DCB could be a real version of what the average tunnel guy would order. The DCB could idle and run all summer while the Daytona is ill willed and needs a rebuild after 50 hours. 144 is picking them up and putting them down, but 114 ain't no slouch either. Lets see what comes out on the details.
Craig
Hell, I'm not biased, I don't own either model http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

riverliver
04-07-2002, 06:44 AM
SVO540
sorry to hear about the DCB Iam sure there is some kind of mistake, that boat with 1000hp should run much faster than that !
Thanks for all your help with my motor and outdrive, the motor is in and lake test should be monday or tue, boat is at eliminator geting the hatch cut for the blower to come thur. Iam going out to see it today, I will take some pics and E-mail them to you.
maybe I will see you the weekend of the 20th at Havasu ?
Thanks agian !!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Jrocket
04-07-2002, 07:14 AM
If it's the same Eliminator that I saw at Gary Teague's.I think it was very capable of 144.I had some friends there when the boat ran it's 144,and they said it was very impressive.Really something to see.....
Not too sure about the DCB's mph,but 114 sounds alittle low too me.....JR

DMB
04-07-2002, 08:02 AM
SVO, Febuary 1999 26 DCB with a Teague 509 blown,420 Mega blower, pump gas, rated at 800 HP 700 at the prop, 1.36 ratio 30" pitch cupped to a 32" 111.2 MPH.
The boat yor mentioning with a 1000 HP should run at least 120 to 125 if set up correctly.
I believe this daytona was a joint venture between Paul Phaff and Eliminator to Quote un Quote hand HTMs ass to back to them. Sounds like they did it breaking their much promoted 143 MPH single outdrive record.
Just goes to show ya,lump enough horse power behind any decent tunnel hull and big #s will be the outcome.

Skaterfast
04-07-2002, 08:58 AM
Apples to apples boys!I'd say the price as tested #'s will be a $50,000 diference or more.And 30k of that will be in the form of a #6 drive.These are just my predictions.

DMB
04-07-2002, 11:56 AM
I highly doubt they had a #6 on that boat but you never know. I'm betting a buffed up XR,Imco or B-Max.
$50,000 difference maybe,If you wanna play you gotta pay.

Jrocket
04-07-2002, 12:11 PM
The daytona I saw had a #6 drive on it.But Im not sure if this is the one in the test.I thought it was though....JR

roln 20s
04-07-2002, 12:49 PM
SVO you are definately right that the Mach 26 should go faster. At last years Powerboat Trials the Mach 26 with the Teague 1000 and BMax drive did 121.2 MPH! It was the second fastest to the Eliminator 25 Daytona with a Quad-Rotor Whipple engine pushing 1200 HP and running 127.1 on GPS! You should have put your boat in these trials-since last I heard you have the fastest Mach 26 on this planet!
But we will have to wait to see the magazine and compare what we can, but I am another one who is guessing atleast a $30K increase with the Daytona!
Late-
Roln 20s

Charley
04-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Don't worry SVO... obviously the mach 26 wasn't setup properly.... I know of at least one other 26 with a teague 1000 that ran 122-124... as far as the 25 running 144? well one difference im aware of was the 25 daytona was setup for high end runs.... like the outdrive possibly had a transmission... it was running like 1.15 gears and a 36" prop...dont quote me on that setup they are absolute hearsay..The 25 also had whipples brand new 3.3 liter quad rotor blower a serious, serious piece.... I heard Pfaff or possibly GT perf built the motor and I heard more like 1400-1500 HP so 1000 HP roots blown motor VS 1500 HP screw compressor motor was always a lopsided comparison/ personally I admire Dave(DCB) for sending a "mere" 1000 hp setup to the shoot out.... 120 mph in a 25-26' cat is enough! any more should be one time deal and with every safety precaution possible... I personally couldn't believe that Bob Teague drove that boat 144....thats an amazing set of Brass eggs he was sitting on that day///// my .02

pleasantcat
04-07-2002, 03:17 PM
well im recalling an article i read in ***boat about two months back. the eliminator in question did have a tranny on a reworked bmax not a #6. i could be wrong the mag, is at wok so ill look monday to be sure. yes we should compare apples to apples. i dont have firsthand knowledge of the dcb but from what i hear and read nobody has ever said a negative coment. and i agree with someone earlier tripple digets in a 25' cat is hauling... and someone will ALWAYS be faster. oh i own a 25' daytona http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif non blown runs well, pretty fast.... not tripple digits though http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif btw craig you run a 22' cat and run how fast...onehundred??? wow! you beat the dcb hehehe. thats another thread though..

Craig
04-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Yeah, while my 22 runs good, if I try to go toe to toe with you, Charley or CSX in any kind of "normal" weekend water conditions, I'll get my ass handed to me big time http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif A boat that really only has 20'of length (no swim platform counted) has to pick and choose a lot more then you guys with the "big" cats!!!
See ya' soon on the lake!!
Craig

riverliver
04-07-2002, 04:32 PM
Pfaff built the motor and it dose have a tranny with, i think a beef up imco drive.
I was at Eiminator today and saw the boat,it has quad rotor whipples and has full interior
and even has diamond plate in the engine compartment, not a strip down daytona.

Skaterfast
04-07-2002, 07:27 PM
After all the reading here I up my bid to a 60K difference in price as tested.And I will go with a 75% chance of a #6 drive.

SVO 540
04-07-2002, 08:03 PM
I was hoping my initial post would generate more information on the Mach 26. I know nothing about this boat except it had a Teague 1000 HP motor and ran an unimpressive 114 MPH.
I do know more about the 25 Daytona. The motor did have the new wipple superchargers on it. They tried to get it to work with EFI but had problems. This is why Gary Teague loaned my 1150 dominator carbs to the project. I never thought my carbs would go 144 MPH. The motor was built by Paul Phaff and made 1350 HP. Pretty cool of Gary Teague to help out a Phaff motor by getting the project some carbs. The drive is a prototype Imco (not for sale to the public). It is their 4 gear drive with the new 3 inch shorter lower. The drive doesn't shift. Therefore they put a trans in the stand off box. This boat was the one from the LA boat show. The Phaff motor was not complete so they had a different motor in it for the boat show. The boat is owned by Eliminator. I think they plan to repower it with less power and sell it. Thank god. I think the motor is for sale.
Does anyone have any info on the Mach 26?
My guess is DCB set up the boat correct. What I question is the actual HP of the motor. Maybe it was a Teague 800. If it was a Teague 1000, then maybe the motor was way down on power.
Does Teague dyno all their engines?
DMB, Jrocket, riverliver, Craig, Skaterfast, roln 20s, Charley and pleasantcat, thanks for the posts. Your information is appreciated.
SVO 540 - OUT

Jrocket
04-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by riverliver:
Pfaff built the motor and it dose have a tranny with, i think a beef up imco drive.
I was at Eiminator today and saw the boat,it has quad rotor whipples and has full interior
and even has diamond plate in the engine compartment, not a strip down daytona.
Was the boat red and white with some stripes?Did the engine compartment have really nice detailed gel coat?......JR

Jrocket
04-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Hey SVO....Have you been MX'ing lately? We need to head out to Elsinore,ride the track then run the boats........JR

SVO 540
04-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Jrocket, It is not the boat you are thinking of. I do know the boat you are talking about from GT Performance with the 6 drive. I got to go for a ride in it a few weeks ago. Gary Teague was driving and we took it up to 110 MPH.
I saw some pics of the 144 MPH daytona on this site. They were pictures from the LA boat show.
I have been riding about once per week. I am riding this thursday at Glen Helen. I want to get down to Elsinore soon to learn the track now that they changed it. I will probably ride Elsinore next sometime the following week. Let me know if you want to hook up for either MX session.
572G - OUT

playdeep
04-07-2002, 10:01 PM
June 2001 issue Powerboat mag survival of the fastest,26 Mach w/1000hp Teague goes 121.2 @5900rpm.B-max 1.31 gears.The 25 Daytona that went 144mph was 598 c.i. 1300hp.1.14gears IMCO extreme drive (experimental 4gears in the upper housing).BAM racing transmission inside the standoff box.This Daytona was the blue&yellow flamed boat @ the L.A. boat show.After the last Powerboat tunnel shootout there were some overtly irate builders.Eliminator and DCB brought out Howitzers (shootout!) while others brought (in speed comparison) pistols.I am not slamming anyone else but the above mentioned builders both seemed to have succeeded in thier mission.....

pleasantcat
04-08-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by pleasantcat:
well im recalling an article i read in ***boat about two months back. the eliminator in question did have a tranny on a reworked bmax not a #6. i could be wrong the mag, is at wok so ill look monday to be sure. yes we should compare apples to apples. i dont have firsthand knowledge of the dcb but from what i hear and read nobody has ever said a negative coment. and i agree with someone earlier tripple digets in a 25' cat is hauling... and someone will ALWAYS be faster. oh i own a 25' daytona http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif non blown runs well, pretty fast.... not tripple digits though http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif btw craig you run a 22' cat and run how fast...onehundred??? wow! you beat the dcb hehehe. thats another thread though..
i went through back issues of hot boat and found the boat i was talking about. i found my august 1999 issue with the 25' daytona 1270hp speedmaster #5 1.12 ratio 28 cleaver 2spd b&m trans. only the top speed was 133 sorry i was thinking of the wrong boat . oooops

MrHavasuCat
04-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Dustin Whipple posted the stats on the Eliminator on the Offshore only site a couple weeks ago. Svo 540's post pretty much said what Dustin did on OSO. It has an IMCO drive with a transmission in the standoff box and it is not available to the public. The motor was built by Phaff with the new 3.3 liter quad rotor.

pleasantcat
04-08-2002, 01:26 PM
well,im just happy to hear that my hull is capable of those speeds.my only limitations will be driver experience,courage http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif and of course those oh so hard to come by dollars!!

johnny
04-08-2002, 07:53 PM
i guess this is how rumors get started. there wasn't even a dcb at that test. as far as the daytonna i heard it ran in the mid 140's.

Crew
04-11-2002, 02:56 PM
That's funny about the numbers posted for the DCB Mach 26!!! Was the color of the boat clear?? If it was, that would explain why we haven't seen it at the shop in construction or at the 2002 Power Boat speed test, that we never attended in the first place. FYI... A Mach 26 800 pkg will go 110-113 MPH, 1000 HP pkg 118-125 MPH, and if we were to build a carbon fiber boat with 1350 HP /1.26 gear at 6250 RPM, I would venture to say we could expect speed in the 144-149 MPH range running a 36 pitch prop at 12% slip!!!!! Dave & Crew

Charley
04-11-2002, 07:47 PM
hehehehe

SVO 540
04-11-2002, 08:10 PM
THANK GOD THIS WAS A RUMOR!!!!!
I am sorry I helped to spread this rumor because I am a huge DCB fan and owner.
The source of this rumor is very very reliable. Even though my posts were seeking information about this rumor, I none the less helped to spread a rumor. I will seek the root of this rumor and report back what I find out.

riverliver
04-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Next some will tell me that SVO 540 work's for a CANDY BAR co. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

riverliver
04-11-2002, 08:22 PM
ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/tn_P1010110_(2).JPG

DMB
04-11-2002, 09:41 PM
Crew/DCB, dont talk about it, step up to the plate and do it.
Talk is cheap.

Boatjob
04-11-2002, 11:39 PM
DMB-
That was a great comment to make given the past events that have occurred. Maybe the people of DCB don't need show off what they have. Their reputation speaks more than going 144 mph in a 26 foot cat!

MrHavasuCat
04-12-2002, 07:23 AM
DMB,
well why don't you go put the money up and I am sure they would build it for you!!

DMB
04-12-2002, 08:10 AM
Girls,Girls, dont get your panties in a bunch. First why don't they just say kudos to Eliminator for the achievment.Not we could if we wanted to like somebody green with envy.
Second,why should I pay for their foot in mouth disease,DCB let me pay you to prove your boat can do 144. Thats a silly almost to the point of dumb comment.
Third,why are you boys so sensitive is this board full of all growed up men chatting and debating about boats,motors,achievements,outdrives ECT. Or the girls from the nail salon.
Whats wrong with telling a MFG to step up to the plate.We could do it if we did this, thats talking shit in my opinion.
The correct response would be a boat set up and rigged to run those #s.
Don't get me wrong I like DCBs,if any MFG comes on the boards and says oh we could do that if..... they need to put up or shut up.

MrHavasuCat
04-12-2002, 09:01 AM
I am not sticking up for DCB, I am just stating a point that they build each boat for a customer. They do not build boats for breaking records. I happen to like eliminators as well for the record.

Jrocket
04-12-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Crew:
That's funny about the numbers posted for the DCB Mach 26!!! Was the color of the boat clear?? If it was, that would explain why we haven't seen it at the shop in construction or at the 2002 Power Boat speed test, that we never attended in the first place. FYI... A Mach 26 800 pkg will go 110-113 MPH, 1000 HP pkg 118-125 MPH, and if we were to build a carbon fiber boat with 1350 HP /1.26 gear at 6250 RPM, I would venture to say we could expect speed in the 144-149 MPH range running a 36 pitch prop at 12% slip!!!!! Dave & Crew
I hope this wasnt really Dave or his crew.Seemed more like a smart ass answer than a professional one too me.I could be wrong though,have been before...JR

SVO 540
04-12-2002, 02:18 PM
Jrocket, Do you ride a 4 stroke? The White Brothers 4 Stroke MX Championship is at Glen Helen this Sunday. I plan to go out and race the Vet Novice class and watch to Pro race. Are you in? If so, look for me. I have a YZ 426 #572G.

playdeep
04-13-2002, 12:33 PM
Eliminator vs. DCB? Isnt that kinda like debating Porsche vs. Ferrari?