View Full Version : 24' Cheetah

NewGuy
07-05-2002, 02:26 PM
I am ordering a 24' Cheetah with a 496 Mag HO and upgraded drive. Bob is telling me it will be a 80+ mph boat. Is this true? Any suggestions or thoughts would be apreciated.

24ROD
07-05-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by NewGuy:
I am ordering a 24' Cheetah with a 496 Mag HO and upgraded drive. Bob is telling me it will be a 80+ mph boat. Is this true? Any suggestions or thoughts would be apreciated.
NewGuy, welcome to the boards! I personaly think that might be a little enthusiastic. I think you are looking more like 70mph with that set up.

NewGuy
07-08-2002, 08:32 AM
24Rod,
Thank you. After the warranty has expired I plan to add a whipple charger. Any other thoughts or suggestions with this set-up? Or with Bob? Thanks.

nodigg
07-08-2002, 08:47 AM
DID YOU ORDER A FAST CAT?

NewGuy
07-08-2002, 10:27 AM
We are getting the 24' Stilletto. Any thoughts or suggestions?

nodigg
07-08-2002, 12:39 PM
Sorry, I have had a fast cat for four years but can't offer anything on the Stilleto except that I see a lot of them on the lake. Bob has treated me very well over the years. My next boat will probably be a Cheetah also if that means anything. Best of luck with your Stilleto. See you on the lake?

nodigg
07-08-2002, 12:47 PM
By the way, Three years ago I added a whipple charger and head work to my 502/bravo one Fast Cat and have been very happy with the result. That is after I also added external steering. Very scary without the steering!

NewGuy
07-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the input. How much of a difference did the "charger" make? I will have external steering from the start.

NewGuy
07-08-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 24ROD:
NewGuy, welcome to the boards! I personaly think that might be a little enthusiastic. I think you are looking more like 70mph with that set up.
What kind of cruising speeds do you think I can expect with this set-up in the 24' Stilleto? Do you have any other suggestions for me?

24ROD
07-08-2002, 03:12 PM
Newguy; I think you are looking at it the right way. We also waited till the waranty ran out, before we opted to go with a ProCharger. It made all the difference in the world. I think you are probably looking at 55 to 60 cruising. Then about 70 when you are all trimmed out and on it.

NewGuy
07-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Any other expenses that I should factor in from the start when dealing with Bob and Cheetah?

24ROD
07-08-2002, 04:10 PM
NewGuy; With us there were no hidden charges or anything like that. We got what we paid for. Not just with Cheetah but any manufa. make sure you get everything in writing. Bob has been real good to us.

MrHavasuCat
07-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by NewGuy:
Why would a boat builder lie like this to someone about boat speed. I can see maybe adding a couple miles an hour, I still think it is BS, but 80+ with a 496? A Mach 26 with an hp 500 will only run low 80's. I would be careful doing business with someone that would lie to you like that. My.02

DogHouse
07-08-2002, 06:06 PM
I'll throw my guess into the ring here and say with the 425hp 496 Mag HO and the right prop, the 24 Stilleto will run about 75. My 23 tunnel (same bottom) ran 70 with the warmed up small block that I originally had in it. The 24 is still fairly light at 3200 lbs. I don't think 80 is that far out of the question under the right conditions.
-brian

bigq
07-08-2002, 11:33 PM
I would need to go with brian on this one. 73 to 75 with the 496HO. I would guess with the right prop and low fuel with one person you would be stretching to get to 80, but 77-78 I could see. I don't think he stretched it any farther than some manufactures.

NewGuy
07-09-2002, 08:13 AM
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the 496 MAG HO??

blown23vee
07-09-2002, 03:21 PM
I love it, more q & a on the 24' cheetah!!! This has got to be the most asked about boat & manufacturer on the board. FYI - as doghouse & 24rod know, I'm condidering one myself...thanks to all for the valuable input!! see you on the water!!!

blown23vee
07-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Oh, one last thing...I've been talking to bob about a new stiletto & swaping my engine in...he's been very cool & very helpful. Just my $.02

24ROD
07-09-2002, 04:37 PM
Blown23vee; How you doing? We are going to be at Lake Mead this weekend. You ready for that ride?

24ROD
07-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Newguy, Back in April I test drove a Carrerra 26' Cat with a 496 MAG HO and it got up and got with the program. A friend of mine sells boats for Carrerra. He says that everyone has had pretty good luck with 496 MAG HO.
-Carlos

NewGuy
07-10-2002, 10:21 AM
Newguy, Back in April I test drove a Carrerra 26' Cat with a 496 MAG HO and it got up and got with the program. A friend of mine sells boats for Carrerra. He says that everyone has had pretty good luck with 496 MAG HO.
-Carlos
Thanks for all of the input.

wsm9808
07-10-2002, 11:40 AM
we too, are concidering a Cheetah 24ft. I went to their site, but they only have side shots of the Stilletto. Is it a pointed hull? I thought Cheetah had a 24ft cat that was simular to the Skater or HTM in appearance.
What we are looking for is somthing in the 24ft range and would prefer a cat with an open bow. Anyone know of any good hulls that are not too pricey?

NewGuy
07-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by wsm9808:
we too, are concidering a Cheetah 24ft. I went to their site, but they only have side shots of the Stilletto. Is it a pointed hull? I thought Cheetah had a 24ft cat that was simular to the Skater or HTM in appearance.
What we are looking for is somthing in the 24ft range and would prefer a cat with an open bow. Anyone know of any good hulls that are not too pricey?
The Stilleto is a "pointed" hull. I don't believe Cheetah makes a cat. Good luck finding a 24' Cat open bow that isn't TOO pricey with adequate HP!!

THOR
07-10-2002, 02:07 PM
24Rod,
How fast are you going now w/ the ProCharger?

24ROD
07-10-2002, 02:47 PM
THOR, 81 is the best we have got so far with a 28 pitch prop.

24RODjr
07-10-2002, 03:23 PM
81 on GPS with Bob Teague behind the wheel....and it had some left.... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

blown23vee
07-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey, 24rod!! sorry for the slow response...just got done w/work. I'd love that ride, but gotta wait for havasu...can't make it to mead this weekend!! Let me know when your in havasu, I may be going there a couple times real soon.
thnks...Rick (blown23vee)

blown23vee
07-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey, 24rod!! sorry for the slow response...just got done w/work. I'd love that ride, but gotta wait for havasu...can't make it to mead this weekend!! Let me know when your in havasu, I may be going there a couple times real soon.
thnks...Rick (blown23vee)

24ROD
07-10-2002, 10:00 PM
Rick, We maybe going to havasu next weekend 20-21. I will keep you posted.
-Carlos

FASTERDAMITT
07-11-2002, 12:42 PM
And it had some left!

blown23vee
07-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Rick, We maybe going to havasu next weekend 20-21. I will keep you posted.
-Carlos
Thanks, man...look forward to news.

chrisman4u2001
08-14-2007, 08:27 PM
ive been talking with cheetah about ordering a boat ive never bought a new boat and know alot about motors would i be dumb to buy the boat without a motor and put one in myself? They wanna do the stilletto with outdrive just no motor for just under 30K its a good price i think... just looking for input thank you

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 09:41 PM
ive been talking with cheetah about ordering a boat ive never bought a new boat and know alot about motors would i be dumb to buy the boat without a motor and put one in myself? They wanna do the stilletto with outdrive just no motor for just under 30K its a good price i think... just looking for input thank you
sounds like a good price...complete boat, less motor right?? Bob doesn't build the blingiest show pieces on the lake, nor the fastest boats in the world...but he does build a nice family boat at a good value that you can enjoy time on the water with for years. :D

Kilrtoy
08-14-2007, 10:17 PM
I prefer builders that tell the truth!
80 with a 496. OK!

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 11:06 PM
80 with a 496. OK!
that was posted 5 years ago :rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
08-15-2007, 09:37 AM
that was posted 5 years ago :rolleyes:
OH well that makes it OK then:rolleyes:
five years ago, five months ago, five days ago, five mintues ago, its all the same.

dicudmore
08-15-2007, 12:38 PM
OH well that makes it OK then:rolleyes:
five years ago, five months ago, five days ago, five mintues ago, its all the same.
I was just sayin'...it wasn't this guy that was told that...

hot_diggity_dog
08-15-2007, 04:21 PM
The way you want to do it, is to order it with the motor that comes with a Bravo 1 outdrive. I think it's a 350 small block?
You will need the parts off the motor to rig the new motor.
You can sell the new motor once you install yours.
HDD

Beer-30
08-15-2007, 04:35 PM
NewGuy;
Don't forget the used market, that is real soft right now. If you look around at the surrounding states (NV, AZ, CA) I am sure you could find one shortly that already has either a blower or a blue motor (HP500 or HP525).
I too was looking at a new 24' Cheetah. I knew when all was said and done, I would be $55K out the door, in the water, equipment, anchor, etc.
I bought my 2001 30-footer with only 140 hours for $54,500. The other boat I was looking at during this was a 2000 Eliminator 28' open bow that had a 502 with intercooled ProCharger and XR drive with hyd steering. I could have had that for $52K.
My point is, boats are not used near as much as cars. So, after 3 or 4 years, they are still like new. Plus, I don't know of one person here that doesn't keep their boat perfect.
You can get a whole lot more boat or motor with your price limit.

hkunz
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
You can buy a whole used one for less than that. Mine is up for a sale, a 2004 Cheetah Scorpion, 23 footer. You get the whole boat that runs great for 27,500, it comes with a 377 stroker and Bravo One. Great family boat, runs 56 all day long, 62 in good conditions (temp, chop, etc.). with a bog block, it would fly. PM for more details.

02HoWaRd26
08-15-2007, 11:14 PM
I had a stilletto now owned by the pixilated's it had/has the 496mag and it would run 68-70 well. Bob is alright a little shady but who isn't in the buss.

2forcefull
08-16-2007, 03:40 AM
80 with a 496. OK!
like you know????
a 25' v with a 496ho will go 75
a 26 ultra deck will go 75
the stellito is a tunnel simular to the 21'schiada rivertunnel
I think it will do it in the cool'r weather
capt'n chuy's did middle 70s in the summer loaded with people and gear
so, do you own or have you ever owned a 24 cheetah?????

Kilrtoy
08-16-2007, 06:49 AM
like you know????
I think it will do it in the cool'r weather
capt'n chuy's did middle 70s in the summer loaded with people and gear
so, do you own or have you ever owned a 24 cheetah?????
NO
and
NO
and I still say BULLSHIT on the 80MPH with a 496.

Jordy
08-16-2007, 07:18 AM
like you know????
C'mon now, look at those numbers... 75 mph. Just add your favorite thru-hull exhaust, pick up that 5mph you claim, and BANG!!! 80 mph. ;) :D

phebus
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Plus, the Stiletto cuts through the reeds much better then a cat.
Kinda like the icebreaker dealio. :D

Kilrtoy
08-16-2007, 07:47 AM
C'mon now, look at those numbers... 75 mph. Just add your favorite thru-hull exhaust, pick up that 5mph you claim, and BANG!!! 80 mph. ;) :D
Well now that you put it like that , I will give them just maybe , 75MPH with thru hull exhaust if all the planets are lined up and they are down river with the reeds on their backs and the velocity stack in place

2forcefull
08-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Plus, the Stiletto cuts through the reeds much better then a cat.
Kinda like the icebreaker dealio. :D
some people argue with the sign post and take the wrong road home,
ever wonder why poeple love their dogs???
they never say nothing!!!

2forcefull
08-16-2007, 07:49 AM
NO
and
NO
my nordic did 75. its a v bottom
(cool weather, and empty)

dicudmore
08-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Well now that you put it like that , I will give them just maybe , 75MPH with thru hull exhaust if all the planets are lined up and they are down river with the reeds on their backs and the velocity stack in place
I'm not by any stretch saying its an 80MPH combo with its eyes closed, BUT the one that lived in my garage for the winter went 78 (hand held Garmin) with plenty of fuel in it...on the perfect day it just might touch that number :wink:

Stiletto24
08-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I have a Stiletto 24 w/ merc 502 with a few upgrades / lab finished prop the best I have seen with mine was 75 GPS That is with 2 people in the boat. The passenger had the GPS. All in all I love my boat. Runs every time. The ride is great. As for Bob I purchased my boat used from a private party, when I call up there he has allways been helpful and straight up with me as though I bought it straight from him. Bob offered to give my boat a once over at no charge before I bought it to be sure there was nothing wrong with the boat.I think you will be happy with your choice. Boat and Builder.

THOR
08-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Mine hit 79.8 mph on a handheld GPS. ;)

Stiletto24
08-17-2007, 08:48 AM
NO
and
NO
So Kilertoy, what up with all the loathing and hatred? You have a great boat, but there are a lot of good boats out there for the rest of us who do not mortgage everything we own. Or want huge boat payments. The river was is having a good time with family and friends not bashing everyone? Some of my best friends I have met at the River. Seriously you need to take a few steps back and mellow out. If you ever make it to Parker, Doubt your boat will fit, But if you do head to the Road Runner have a few and if I am there I will buy you a couple of rounds. I will be there this weekend. My boat is the on I use on the Avaitar.

2forcefull
08-17-2007, 09:18 AM
So Kilertoy, what up with all the loathing and hatred? You have a great boat, but there are a lot of good boats out there for the rest of us who do not mortgage everything we own. Or want huge boat payments. The river was is having a good time with family and friends not bashing everyone? Some of my best friends I have met at the River. Seriously you need to take a few steps back and mellow out. If you ever make it to Parker, Doubt your boat will fit, But if you do head to the Road Runner have a few and if I am there I will buy you a couple of rounds. I will be there this weekend. My boat is the on I use on the Avaitar.
he's cool , he just likes to grab pit bulls by the tail to see if they bite!

Stiletto24
08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
he's cool , he just likes to grab pit bulls by the tail to see if they bite!
Do not know him personally I did see a few pics of his wife in Hot Boat, and at the boat show, But from reading a few of the posts here he sounds a bit wound up. Kilertoy the offer still stands, A bit of River Therapy never hurts.
New Guy, Drop me a PM if you want any more Info on the Stiletto 24. I have a few pics of the bottom of the boat also. I do not think you will go wrong with the Stiletto, Just my opinion though. I would get some seat time in one.

2forcefull
08-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Do not know him personally I did see a few pics of his wife in Hot Boat, and at the boat show, But from reading a few of the posts here he sounds a bit wound up. Kilertoy the offer still stands, A bit of River Therapy never hurts.
New Guy, Drop me a PM if you want any more Info on the Stiletto 24. I have a few pics of the bottom of the boat also. I do not think you will go wrong with the Stiletto, Just my opinion though. I would get some seat time in one.
does your boat have tabs, I wanted to try some tunnel tabs on my friend bobs but he sold it and bought the 29 offshore.
he used to run in some ruff ass water at mead and the boat did fine.
I thought with tunnel tabs you could run at a slower speed in the ruff stuff???

2forcefull
08-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Oh and you''ll need to mortage your house if you're going to buy a couple rounds for all the out spok'n a-holes on hot boat. LOL!!!!

Stiletto24
08-17-2007, 10:07 AM
does your boat have tabs, I wanted to try some tunnel tabs on my friend bobs but he sold it and bought the 29 offshore.
he used to run in some ruff ass water at mead and the boat did fine.
I thought with tunnel tabs you could run at a slower speed in the ruff stuff???
I do not have tabs on mine, I just tuck in the drive a bit in the rough. The boat runs over the top pretty good. Although the side rollers knock me around a bit thats where I think the tabs would help and when it is smooth. I did ride in one that had tabs and I really did not notice a big difference with the exception that I need a bit of chop to air it out.
LOL! A round for everyone here with attitude... :eek: (nevermind) Your right I better go get on the 2nd mortgage paper work ASAP! LOL...

HeavyHitter
08-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I've got a ride plate off the center pod step. Works well to lift the stern at low speed. I needed it to get on plane in a reasonable time. My engine drive combo is very stern heavy. My prop centerline is 2" below the center pod. I bought my Cheetah no engine no drive. It's worked out well for me. It is plent of work. I would not suggest this for the novice. Bob built all the upholstery around my engine/drive. I've got an extension box that ties the top to the bottom to extend/heighten the transom to fit my drive gimbal.

Scapegoat1
08-17-2007, 11:05 PM
heavyhitter post pics and info love to compare with mine

meaniam
08-18-2007, 08:10 AM
i am a new owner of a 24ft cheetah. very fun boat. seems very solid. has been reliable. and offers plenty of room. i have the open bow mid cuddy. which i love. i run a 6.2 with an bravo one 4 blade prop forgot what pitch they said it was. but bobs guys stated someone switched it to get out the whole faster. i avg 54-56mph normal with trim up a little. on flat water . i had a hard time 50mph i think was the best. (keep in mind this was below hoover damn. where you could see the current was strong to.) felt like my boat was stuck to the water. no lift. my best was 62mph. in some great chop thru the narrows on lower mead. i really enjoy the way this boat handles rough water.
i don't have a gps. this is all of the speedo.
also note that bob stated 62mph to me. i felt he was stretching the truth to. when i was stuck at 54-56. tell that one time. i nailed 62mph. so the guy didn't lie one bit. its maybe all about conditions. he is a stand up man.
when listening to people on hear about other boats. consider the source. read their past post. also consider weather or not they have owned the stated boat. your best source is people who have owned or own the boat, your asking about.

HeavyHitter
09-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Scapegoat,
Ride plate picture. Boat needs a bath.

Scapegoat1
09-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Nice heavy hitter do you have more pics would like to see em.
also how would a 26 5 blade prop work on our boat, I have around 600hp at the prop.
I have a 26 bravo but took me a long time to get out of the whole when I Had a full crew. around a thousand pounds of body weight:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38544&d=1188876066

WishIknew
09-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Does the word DRYWALL SCREWS mean any thing ?????MY Motor mounts were held in with them 23' Cheetah 454 MPI!!!!

WishIknew
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Scapegoat,
Ride plate picture. Boat needs a bath.
CHEETAH CLEAN:D :D :D :D :D

Stiletto24
09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
I have a 2000 24 stiletto up for sale, Just had the 100 hr service. Merc 502 msd ignition eddie marine thunder headers with stainless risers 4 blade lab finished ss prop, XM Stereo, But the best I have run her is 72 / 75 mph one person 1/2 tanks and a bit of chop. A pro charger? or different prop and 80 for sure. 80 with a 496? that is doubtful.
If you are intrerested PM me and will send over pics and any other info.