PDA

View Full Version : New kinda fast outboard

Searching4more
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Last summer I bought my first fast boat (fast to me 59mph) ita a 1990 Seabold Eagle with a 1989 merc 200 xri. Now I want more which I was told would happen. I cant seem to find out whats been done to the boat. Seabold sold the molds and cant tell me anything about it. I am a old drag racer and soon found out the my way of thinging with a BBC and on the strip dont apply at all to my new toy.
Heres what I know
its a 200 merc xri 1989 (been told its the first injection moter)
it has a bolted jack plat
it has a molded nose cone and low water pick up or high speed pick up? not sure what to call it.
24 pitch prop (was told its a mercury chopper 3 blade)
at 6200 rpm it gps at 60.3 mph
21 pitch prop not sure of the make but it was a recurve
5800 rpm gps at 58.6
thats all I know.
Now i have a ton of questions that shop owners either dont know or wont answer.
I will start with I want more speed (dont we all)
I have no idiea where to start (been told that a 200 should put me in the low 70's)
In the old days of the bbc I could do stuff without ever taking the thing appart (short of a intake)
Can that type of stuff be dont to this merc (tweak here and a tweak there)
How do i set up a jack plate? Whats setback and how do i check and why?
Whats a reed and whats it do?
I will hold the questions there for now, well one more.
Is there a book or books i can read and get these answers?

h2oski2fast
06-12-2006, 05:00 PM
www.screamandfly.com
Most of the people over there are from the mental capacity of having their way with their own sister, but there is some good info on that site.

Towndrunk
06-12-2006, 05:14 PM
First lets find out where your lower unit is in relation to the bottom edge of the pad. To do this take a long level and put it on the pad of your boat and start leveling it. It will take two people or just one if you are patient.. Put boat on level surface and level the bottom of the boat by using your trailer jack. When you get it level then level the prop shaft by trimming it up and down. Now that you have that done you can take a tape and measure and measure the distance of the pad at the back to the floor and the tip of your nose cone to the floor or you can use a long straight edge and run it along the pad to the lower unit. The distance between the straight top edge and the tip of your nose cone will give a starting point.
Also measure from the transom to the jackplate where the motor bolts on. This is your set back.
Reeds act as valves in a 2 stroke.
There is more speed but you need proper setup first.
Next, screw Screamandcry. Bunch of know it alls and a few people that actually do know a lot. The trouble is weeding them out.

You Te
06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Stay away from Jay Smith.

Wicky
06-13-2006, 06:56 PM
It's buyer beware over on Scream and Cry!!! :crossx:

Towndrunk
06-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I guess he didn't really want to know. Ya think he joined the flock?? :220v:

JMC
06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Stay away from Jay Smith.
What happened?

You Te
06-14-2006, 04:05 PM
What happened?
If you go to byuboyz.com and ask... is Jay Smith a Guru, you might hear some of the stories above the laughter.
He is a hack, he cheated when he raced ( hidden water pump under the floor of the boat to add weight for weigh in.) He had destroyed motors trying to port them, he has destroyed flywheels trying to lighten them.
He is not well respected by the big name boat racers, other than that he is a fine person.

Searching4more
06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
I am alittle confused on what you want me to do lets see if i understand.
is the "pad" the very back bottom of the boat?
If it is then I want that part of the hull level. then I want to level the prop shaft. Then I need to measure the space between the 2.
Is there a "distance" I am supposed to have?
I will measure my set back too
Is there anything else I can check while I am up at the river this weekend (I keep my boat at the river house)
Thanx for the replies all like i realy needed to know who cheats and who dont geeezzzzzzzz

You Te
06-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I am alittle confused on what you want me to do lets see if i understand.
is the "pad" the very back bottom of the boat?
If it is then I want that part of the hull level. then I want to level the prop shaft. Then I need to measure the space between the 2.
Is there a "distance" I am supposed to have?
I will measure my set back too
Is there anything else I can check while I am up at the river this weekend (I keep my boat at the river house)
Thanx for the replies all like i realy needed to know who cheats and who dont geeezzzzzzzz
Run the motor as high as you can without running out of water pressure.

Searching4more
06-14-2006, 07:19 PM
2 weeks ago i had a over heating problem so i had a new inpeller and housing put in, before that my water presure guage never moved and very little pee'ing. After the new pump went in it wouldnt pee at all and the heads were getting hot fast. After i check the cooling lines i found 2 thermoustats and took them out. I put it back together with them out and bypassed the exaust lines that sent water down to the exaust I was told theres no "can" in the exaust and didnt need the water there. Now at idle i have 8 to 10 lbs water on guage and the moter runs alot cooler. When i am fully trimed out and running my guage pegs at 30 lbs. I have new thermoustats now do I want to put them back in? I have heard the term, cold lock up, before is that a real thing to worry about?

Towndrunk
06-14-2006, 08:03 PM
2 weeks ago i had a over heating problem so i had a new inpeller and housing put in, before that my water presure guage never moved and very little pee'ing. After the new pump went in it wouldnt pee at all and the heads were getting hot fast. After i check the cooling lines i found 2 thermoustats and took them out. I put it back together with them out and bypassed the exaust lines that sent water down to the exaust I was told theres no "can" in the exaust and didnt need the water there. Now at idle i have 8 to 10 lbs water on guage and the moter runs alot cooler. When i am fully trimed out and running my guage pegs at 30 lbs. I have new thermoustats now do I want to put them back in? I have heard the term, cold lock up, before is that a real thing to worry about?
I don't run thermostats but I do use restricted washers in my motor. Go to Ace and get 4 fender washers. Two with 1/8 " holes and 2 with 1/4" holes. Start with the 2 1/4 " washer in place of the thermostats and see where your temp gauge is. If it's too cold then switch to the 1/8" ones. You should get in a good zone with one of the sets. Your tattle tail water will be warm at ilde when warmed up.
Yes the center pad on your boat is what needs to be level. After you get that done level your lower unit or prop shaft is what I do. You can measure the distance from the level surface to the back of your pad and then to the center of your nose cone. Raise your motor til you're even with the pad and test. After that do as YouTe says and run it a little higher- 1/4 " at a time until you get the max speed you can without sacrificing water pressure. Play with it up and down (the motor) until you get it where it feels right. I wouldn't do anything motor mod wise until you get your setup right.
TD

stoker2001
06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
, he cheated when he raced ( hidden water pump under the floor of the boat to add weight for weigh in.) .
.Thats a good one :rollside: If your not cheating,your not trying :p

Towndrunk
06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Thats a good one :rollside: If your not cheating,your not trying :p
Oh yeah, thats a good one coimng from " Mr I dont use nitrous, thats cheating" Kraft!! :p :p

Searching4more
06-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Did you use the washers that came on the thermoustats? Will the guy at Home Depot know what a fender washer.

Searching4more
06-15-2006, 04:10 PM
the new ones came with rubber gaskets. In the last post i ask if u use the washers that came with thermoustats i ment the rubber gaskets

DEL51
06-15-2006, 07:06 PM
My friend has the eagle with a 300 horse mariner. Will pull 88 mph. It is about 20.5 ft. Real nice ride and great all around boat.

Towndrunk
06-16-2006, 05:05 AM
the new ones came with rubber gaskets. In the last post i ask if u use the washers that came with thermoustats i ment the rubber gaskets
No just take the housing with you and find a fender washer that fits in side it. Use silicone to seal the housing when you put it back together.

You Te
06-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Thats a good one :rollside: If your not cheating,your not trying :p
Do you cheat KK?

Towndrunk
06-16-2006, 07:03 AM
I cheat, do you YT? :cool:

sleekcraft137
06-16-2006, 08:31 AM
I don't run thermostats but I do use restricted washers in my motor. Go to Ace and get 4 fender washers. Two with 1/8 " holes and 2 with 1/4" holes. Start with the 2 1/4 " washer in place of the thermostats and see where your temp gauge is. If it's too cold then switch to the 1/8" ones. You should get in a good zone with one of the sets. Your tattle tail water will be warm at ilde when warmed up.
Yes the center pad on your boat is what needs to be level. After you get that done level your lower unit or prop shaft is what I do. You can measure the distance from the level surface to the back of your pad and then to the center of your nose cone. Raise your motor til you're even with the pad and test. After that do as YouTe says and run it a little higher- 1/4 " at a time until you get the max speed you can without sacrificing water pressure. Play with it up and down (the motor) until you get it where it feels right. I wouldn't do anything motor mod wise until you get your setup right.
TD
I'm running the 1/8 washers.....it seems to kinda work. My motors are still running cooler than I'd like(I'm lucky to get to the first line on the guage), But it seems that my pressure is still way low. So I dunno, I guess I'll have to keep messing with it. I heard that I should be using a 260 poppet cover. I guess I'll try it and see.

Towndrunk
06-16-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm running the 1/8 washers.....it seems to kinda work. My motors are still running cooler than I'd like(I'm lucky to get to the first line on the guage), But it seems that my pressure is still way low. So I dunno, I guess I'll have to keep messing with it. I heard that I should be using a 260 poppet cover. I guess I'll try it and see.
Being up where the water stays cold all year you might be better off running it with thermostats.

sleekcraft137
06-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Being up where the water stays cold all year you might be better off running it with thermostats.
When I had the therms and poppets in, the motors ran even colder. Atleast now i'm getting the needle on the guage to move a little, before with the therms it never moved. After this season im gonna take off the exhaust plate, block the dump holes and re drill with smaller ones.(sorry S4More don't mean to jack your thread)

hoffman
06-16-2006, 01:46 PM
I use to have the same boat. I ran the point of the gear case level with the bottom of the hull. I had a walker 6" off set. Motor was a 2.5 stock just with the chip in the efi box. I would turn 9000 rpms on a 4blade clever 24p solid hub. I would suggest throwing away that 200xri motor it is not a highperf. motor and is not worth tring to make it one. I herd some one got one off ebay or something belive up around LA area is that you?
Chris

Searching4more
06-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Nope i didnt get the xri off ebay it came with the boat when i bought it.
Why dont you like it?

Searching4more
06-16-2006, 03:31 PM
sleakcraft whats a popet

Towndrunk
06-16-2006, 03:46 PM
I use to have the same boat. I ran the point of the gear case level with the bottom of the hull. I had a walker 6" off set. Motor was a 2.5 stock just with the chip in the efi box. I would turn 9000 rpms on a 4blade clever 24p solid hub. I would suggest throwing away that 200xri motor it is not a highperf. motor and is not worth tring to make it one. I herd some one got one off ebay or something belive up around LA area is that you?
Chris
I think your numbers are a little happy for a stock 2.5 or your tach was goofy. There is nothing wrong with an XRI motor. Where do you get that shit?

hoffman
06-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Its not that I dont like those motors they just arent a good highperf. motor. I would run a 2.4 bridgeport or a 2.5 260. The 200xri is a more crussin motor like for ski boats or fishing boats. I didnt mean buying the motor from ebay I meant the hole boat. Its rare hearing of a seabold on the west coast. You will have alot of fun in that boat once you get it set up right. The hull is a very fast hull and handles the rough waters pretty good too. good luck with it hope you get it dialed in. where do you boat at?
Chris

hoffman
06-16-2006, 03:57 PM
the numbers are not wrong. the hulls weight is nothing one person can pick up the back or the boat by them self with out motor of course. There is noting inside these boats. If your not fumillur with these boats the crossover is equal to a STV 4 seater. IF you read the post I had a chip put in the ECU that changes the fuel cure and moves rev limiter to 11,000rpms. that motor on that boat will turn 9000rpms with a 24p prop.

Searching4more
06-16-2006, 04:09 PM
I boat up on the mississippi right in between the clarksville and winfeild damn I have a lot and camper right on the river in timberlake marrina.
Yes the boat rides very nice I grew up in a 21 foot searay my dad had and I have been boating out of a 16 foot john boat with a 25 horse rudder got the past 10 years so this boat was a big step up. This whole thing started when i got passed by a jet ski when i was WOT and that got me here to start asking questions. its TD's fault he got me talking and now i cant stop.
Is there a list of things for me to check? Numbers to write down anything i can do while i am up there this weekend ( I am gona check the whole jack plate setup thing).
Anyone on here in St. Louis that has a shop full of props?

Searching4more
06-16-2006, 04:11 PM
One more question for now anyways........lets say i start buying hot rod parts for my xri and i decide to sell it will any of the parts i buy for it fit on other merc outboards? Newer ones?

Towndrunk
06-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Try Bob Lipton in I think it's St. James on the north side of St. Louis. He has a prop shop and races with SLDBA. He is a good wheel man. Sorry, I dont have his number anymore. If you find him give his number to me cause I have some props for my hydro that I need looked at.
Don't buy parts for one motor and then use them on something else. If you want a hi perf then start with one.

sleekcraft137
06-16-2006, 08:35 PM
sleakcraft whats a popetA poppet valve is a pressure release valve, when the boat is at lower RPM's its closed therefor it raises your water pressure, at higher RPM's it opens to let the pressure out, by this time your impeller will be creating enough pressure. Ofcourse this is all in theory, on the older 2.5's they had a big problem with water pressure and the motors running too cold.

You Te
06-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I cheat, do you YT? :cool:
NO!

You Te
06-16-2006, 09:20 PM
One more question for now anyways........lets say i start buying hot rod parts for my xri and i decide to sell it will any of the parts i buy for it fit on other merc outboards? Newer ones?
Leave the XRI stock and sell it that way, it will be worth more money. Buy a 2.5 HP motor and get it over with, you will be money ahead. Or find yourself a good 2.4 Bridgeport.
The motor you have now will never get close to the 2.5 HP, stop wasting your time.

Searching4more
06-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Welp I did what you guys said with the level of pad vs. the nose cone and i was 3 1/2 inches lower than i should be so i raised it. My jack plate would only go up 2 1/2 inches so i and still 1 to 1 1/2 to low. Guess I need a new one now. Before with my 19 pitch i hit 5800 rpm at 58 mph now i can hit 6200 at just a click over 60 I am gona put my 24 ptich back on next weekend and see what i hit.

Towndrunk
06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I sold my Allison so I have a 2.5 245 hp motor ready to go. Has hipo mid and 2 hole cle. 31.5 cc heads with 150 lbs of compression. $4500. I also have a Goodman/ Ruck 2.5 nitrous motor for sale but I dont think you are ready for that yet. :boxed:

Searching4more
06-19-2006, 08:11 PM
This is not the boat for a 4500 dollar moter but it is worth a new jack plate that will get me the 1 1/2 i need.
I had someone ride with me for the first few passes to watch the gps and he also watched my transum he said it was moving a bit when we hit waves. Is a little bit of movement to much?

Searching4more
06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Wife shot down a new boat in about 5 seconds. I may be able to pull off a newer motor. The one you have for sale. Will it bolt right up to my hull or will i have to change the linkage and stearing or change anything for that matter
Will it run on pump gas?

Searching4more
06-20-2006, 07:46 PM
does this boat look stuck to you?

Towndrunk
06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Can you post some pics of the boat on the trailer? Make sure to get a shot of the back showing the pad.
Yes, my motor will bolt right on and the wiring and linkage will match up. The trim motor goes inside the boat. It has an alien cowling on it also. Pic of cowling.

Searching4more
06-20-2006, 08:25 PM
I cant seem to get any pics to upload. They are all too big.

Towndrunk
06-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I cant seem to get any pics to upload. They are all too big.
Email them to me then. dragally@yahoo.com

You Te
06-20-2006, 09:10 PM
does this boat look stuck to you?
Yes it looks stuck. Lots of trim and lots of boat in the water. :cry: :cry:
More set back might help or a prop that has more bow lift.

Towndrunk
06-21-2006, 07:32 AM
What YT said.

Kim Hanson
06-21-2006, 08:51 AM
www.screamandfly.com
Most of the people over there are from the mental capacity of having their way with their own sister, but there is some good info on that site.
I think the same way as you on those f ucks, if I need to ask questions I ask UT,TD and Greg Moss..........( . )( . )...........works for me with OB's !

Searching4more
06-21-2006, 05:35 PM
you have mail! Or atleast you should.