PDA

View Full Version : Another Rice Road Accident

JB in so cal
06-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Coming home today; passed the scene at about 12:00.
About 10 miles east of the 177/62 split.
Looked to be a head on between a mini van and a bike. Didn't look good at all. I have no details on injured or worse. Fire crew was there and chp was just slowing down to stop when we rolled by. There were about a half dozen vehicles that had stopped; they didn't need another one.
I don't know why I continue to drive that phuggin road!!!

riverroyal
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Looked to be a head on between a mini van and a bike. Didn't look good at all. I have no details on injured or worse. Fire crew was there and chp was just slowing down to stop when we rolled by. There were about a half dozen vehicles that had stopped; they didn't need another one.
motorcycle or a bicycle!!!So 12 noon on rice road,was there maybe 3 other cars on the entire road??

No Name
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Bad news :frown: another good reason for selling my bike.

JB in so cal
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
motorcycle or a bicycle!!!So 12 noon on rice road,was there maybe 3 other cars on the entire road??
Motor variety. Just the engine, mostly.

voodoomedman
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
I take the road often but slow down and keep to the right when somebody's coming the opposite direction so that if I have to go into the dirt I can do so safely. But with all the drama out there.........
Has anybody tried just going to the 95 on the California side. That way you stay on the 10 up a bit to the 95 and you end up at Vidal Junction and then are only 17 miles to Parker. How's that drive safety wise, time wise mileage wise compared? Everyone talks about Ehrenburg but it seems that this way would be closer, just as safe and no Indian territory.

riverroyal
06-12-2006, 04:23 PM
I take the road often but slow down and keep to the right when somebody's coming the opposite direction so that if I have to go into the dirt I can do so safely. But with all the drama out there.........
Has anybody tried just going to the 95 on the California side. That way you stay on the 10 up a bit to the 95 and you end up at Vidal Junction and then are only 17 miles to Parker. How's that drive safety wise, time wise mileage wise compared? Everyone talks about Ehrenburg but it seems that this way would be closer, just as safe and no Indian territory.
its way to long

shadow
06-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Used Ehrenberg last night,IMO it's the only route to take.Gave up Rice rd along time ago.
Maybe 10-15 minutes longer,but well worth the piece of mind,to set the crusie and not have to stress about on coming or passing vehicles.

voodoomedman
06-12-2006, 04:34 PM
its way to long Really? I'm talking about 95 on the California side to Vidal Junction. Not all the way into Arizona and then to that 95. I know that's waaaaaaaaaaay long. Is Ehrenburg better than the CA 95 or are you just making a joke to keep people off of your travel path?

riverroyal
06-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Really? I'm talking about 95 on the California side to Vidal Junction. Not all the way into Arizona and then to that 95. I know that's waaaaaaaaaaay long. Is Ehrenburg better than the CA 95 or are you just making a joke to keep people off of your travel path?
its 16 miles to parker from vidal,,,,its around 4 miles from ca 95 to ehrenburg off the 10...plus 95 has some curves

termiteguy
06-12-2006, 04:41 PM
i now take the95 on the az side its alot safer and flater. i have never seen any le. on that road i drive around 65 mph. sombody posted on hear that the river would still be there and they were right !!!!!!!!!!!!well worth the 15 minuts if you think about the worst case senario.

Kachina 34
06-12-2006, 04:45 PM
i now take the95 on the az side its alot safer and flater. i have never seen any le. on that road i drive around 65 mph. sombody posted on hear that the river would still be there and they were right !!!!!!!!!!!!well worth the 15 minuts if you think about the worst case senario.
I think I will try that route next week.

voodoomedman
06-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I know that's why I set cruise control. Ehrenburg seems super safe and a lot closer than AZ95. You might want to try that.

termiteguy
06-12-2006, 04:52 PM
I know that's why I set cruise control. Ehrenburg seems super safe and a lot closer than AZ95. You might want to try that.
is az 95 and ehrenburg two diferent roads i thought they were the same well i take ehrenburg

Havasu1986
06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I know that's why I set cruise control. Ehrenburg seems super safe and a lot closer than AZ95. You might want to try that.Ehrenburg is the AZ 95

Havasu_Dreamin
06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Take the 10 East to the first exit in AZ, this is where thee Flying J Truck stop is. At the end of the ramp, go left. Go across (over) the freeway. At the stop light go right. Speed limit thru Ehrenberg is 35 I believe and IT IS ENFORCED. Continue on that road for ~45 miles and you will come to Southern end of Parker, down by the Chevy dealership. Go left. When you get to the Arco go right. If you don't where to go from there, well, what are doing going to the river to begin with..... :p

riverroyal
06-12-2006, 05:03 PM
is about 9 miles longer,but 20 minutes on the drive,,,it sucks,dont go that way :rollside:

termiteguy
06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
is about 9 miles longer,but 20 minutes on the drive,,,it sucks,dont go that way :rollside:
yeah because ahead on at 80mph is allways alot better :crossx:

voodoomedman
06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Ehrenburg is the AZ 95
Ummm I thought that you go into Arizona for quite a ways on the 10 and then eventually hit the 95.

riverroyal
06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Ummm I thought that you go into Arizona for quite a ways on the 10 and then eventually hit the 95.
1st exit after you cross over the river

voodoomedman
06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah I just looked on the map and the 95 is all the way to Quartzite Arizona.

riverroyal
06-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah I just looked on the map and the 95 is all the way to Quartzite Arizona.
awhile

voodoomedman
06-12-2006, 05:37 PM
awhile
Ehrenburg it is. Seems that the only reason it takes longer is because of the 35 mph limits through Indian land.

riverroyal
06-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Ehrenburg it is. Seems that the only reason it takes longer is because of the 35 mph limits through Indian land.
theres a few more stops,not many.I take rice road if the 10 traffic is light,but holidays it crazy

Boatcop
06-12-2006, 05:59 PM
95 in AZ is through Quartzsite. The road through Ehrenberg is the Ehrenberg/Parker Highway in Ehrenberg and Mohave Road (Indian Route 1) through the Res.
I like to take Mohave Road from Parker to Agnes Wilson Blvd, over the bridge into CA and CA 95 into Blythe. Still avoid Rice Road and don't get as many bugs as through the Mohave Valley farm land. It comes out just north of Lost Lake. Starbucks in Blythe is usually my first stop.

Boatcop
06-12-2006, 06:01 PM
It's only 35 through Ehrenberg. 55 on the Res, except in a few spots around Poston, the Indian Headstart School and 4 corners.

little rowe boat
06-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Used Ehrenberg last night,IMO it's the only route to take.Gave up Rice rd along time ago.
Maybe 10-15 minutes longer,but well worth the piece of mind,to set the crusie and not have to stress about on coming or passing vehicles.
We also use this route. It is about 12 miles in distance longer than rice rd.

voodoomedman
06-12-2006, 06:04 PM
95 in AZ is through Quartzsite. The road through Ehrenberg is the Ehrenberg/Parker Highway in Ehrenberg and Mohave Road (Indian Route 1) through the Res.
I like to take Mohave Road from Parker to Agnes Wilson Blvd, over the bridge into CA and CA 95 into Blythe. Still avoid Rice Road and don't get as many bugs as through the Mohave Valley farm land. It comes out just north of Lost Lake. Starbucks in Blythe is usually my first stop.
Oooh interesting. How is that route time and mileage wise. Obviously safer than rice road.

cola
06-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Oooh interesting. How is that route time and mileage wise. Obviously safer than rice road.
I have used this route. It takes a little longer but the truck is not as hard to wash. :)

MBlaster
06-12-2006, 07:16 PM
I drove the 10 to Quartsite to the AZ95 to parker our last trip out. It was a science experiment. The gas at Quarts Chevron was 10cents less than parker arco. I filled the boat and MH. But the grade to get there and the time and mileage driven was not worth the 5-10 bucks saved at the pump. I won't go that way again. Rice sucks but it is the most direct route. Just be careful and take your time. Especially in a MH towing a boat.

boxscore
06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
DITTO

Kokopelli
06-13-2006, 03:28 AM
We stopped using Rice Road awhile ago. People say that they drive safe on that road so it's OK. Well the idiot passing head on into you in the "no passing" zone is what will take you out, no matter how good of a driver you are.
The extra 15-20 minutes doesn't bother me one bit. We always take Ehrenberg/Poston Road! Nice road with shoulders, and I just set the cruise while the family enjoys a movie.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-13-2006, 03:38 AM
We stopped using Rice Road awhile ago. People say that they drive safe on that road so it's OK. Well the idiot passing head on into you in the "no passing" zone is what will take you out, no matter how good of a driver you are.
The extra 15-20 minutes doesn't bother me one bit. We always take Ehrenberg/Poston Road! Nice road with shoulders, and I just set the cruise while the family enjoys a movie.
We get run off the road onto the shoulder from time,, by just that very manuever.
It'll be Ehrenberg mostly if possible.

cc322
06-13-2006, 04:08 AM
This is how we go every time

deltarat
06-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Weren't you on it when you passed the crash?

JB in so cal
06-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Weren't you on it when you passed the crash?
Nothing gets by you :)
Yes. When I leave mondays, (usually/used to) take that route.

MrsSigEpMock
06-13-2006, 08:18 AM
If we are going out through the IE, we'll take the 10 to the 62 in to 29 palms, then out via Amboy road to the 40 at mountain spring road. It is a 2 laner as well but not much traffic at all. And we have services in 29 palms then Needles. Interesting views too, salt fields....

Tremor Therapy
06-13-2006, 08:28 AM
DITTO
Don't go through Ehrenberg! Waaaaaay to long of a drive. I mean who cares that the lanes are wider, the road is straighter, and that it is a lot less stressful of a pull. You should stay on Rice Road with the speeders, drinkers, and tweakers! They will make sure that you stay alert on the road! :mad:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-13-2006, 08:36 AM
If we are going out through the IE, we'll take the 10 to the 62 in to 29 palms, then out via Amboy road to the 40 at mountain spring road. It is a 2 laner as well but not much traffic at all. And we have services in 29 palms then Needles. Interesting views too, salt fields....
this is the way we go if we are going to Needles. There are some strange things along that route. I always wonder who lives/lived in tiny random cube houses everywhere. Rarely any traffic though.
If we are going to PArker, its always thru Ehrinburg. We accidentally went all the way to AZ 95 thru Quartsite once and it took forever.

Boatcop
06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
I always wonder who lives/lived in tiny random cube houses everywhere.
After WW2 there was a land give-away in the 29 Palms area. They wanted to expand residency and encourage servicemen and their families to stay after operations slowed down following the war.
The only condition of getting the free land was they had to build a home on the property. Most built the small houses you see throughout the area to claim the property without any intention of living there. The vision of a thriving metropolis never materialized.
Most of those properties have since been defaulted to the County due to non-payment of property taxes.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-13-2006, 11:36 AM
After WW2 there was a land give-away in the 29 Palms area. They wanted to expand residency and encourage servicemen and their families to stay after operations slowed down following the war.
The only condition of getting the free land was they had to build a home on the property. Most built the small houses you see throughout the area to claim the property without any intention of living there. The vision of a thriving metropolis never materialized.
Most of those properties have since been defaulted to the County due to non-payment of property taxes.
Thanks Boatcop! Driving thru there to Amboy always reminds me of a scene of an X-Files investigation or something. :rollside:

djunkie
06-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Thats what I do. The extra time doesn't bother me. Especially cause I tend to feel a little more relaxed when I roll into town. Rice Road is too stressful.

MrsJetDriver
06-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I have used this route. It takes a little longer but the truck is not as hard to wash. :)
I know this is totally off topic, but would you happen to have any other pictures of the dog in your avitar that you could post? I have the same breed and would love to see more pics of yours. Just curious. :D Also how old is he/she?

Ziggy
06-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Was about 45 minutes behind you JB....I saw a chopper sitting in the brush idling/waiting. Motorcycle was about 1/2 size, van took it deep in the gut.
Just one CHP car there, but saw another heading that way a few miles along on the 177 with lights ablaze. Very sad incident to see for sure. Puts you in a somber mood. I will say however, the drivers along Rice yesterday were not out of line. No 90mph towers.
My guess was the M/C pulled out to pass. Poor judgement.
My wifes comment was along the line of "our time" is predetermined. After, of course, we feel the pain of seeing that accident.

JB in so cal
06-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Was about 45 minutes behind you JB....I saw a chopper sitting in the brush idling/waiting. Motorcycle was about 1/2 size, van took it deep in the gut.
Just one CHP car there, but saw another heading that way a few miles along on the 177 with lights ablaze. Very sad incident to see for sure. Puts you in a somber mood. I will say however, the drivers along Rice yesterday were not out of line. No 90mph towers.
My guess was the M/C pulled out to pass. Poor judgement.
My wifes comment was along the line of "our time" is predetermined. After, of course, we feel the pain of seeing that accident.
My cruise was set at about 78 before the accident scene; about 70-72 to the 10... :frown:

28Prowler525
06-13-2006, 12:14 PM
We started going to Needles this year after about 15 years @ Parker. The last 5-6 years I would take the 10 over the river and up the Ehrenberg/Parker Highway (1st exit) on the AZ side, after my sister in law had a near head on with a guy pulling a 5th wheel hauling ass and passing. It is about 15-20 miles longer than Rice Road, but there is only 45 or so miles of non-freeway travel. Almost the entire 95 on the AZ side is Indian land and hardley any cars. Stay on the 95 all the way into Parker (road ends) turn left and a couple miles later you are at the bridge.

Ziggy
06-13-2006, 12:57 PM
My cruise was set at about 78 before the accident scene; about 70-72 to the 10... :frown:
I haven't gone over 75 on that road in a few years....if I was towing it didn't exceed 65.......
I make myself as visible as possible, always have my lights on during the daylight and extreme awareness of the car(s) behind slower oncoming traffic, bobbing and weaving to peek around the slow truck....even flash my lights daytime because it does attract attention to opposing eyes.

Boatcop
06-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Almost the entire 95 on the AZ side is Indian land and hardley any cars. Stay on the 95 all the way into Parker (road ends) turn left and a couple miles later you are at the bridge.
For the last time........
THE ROAD THROUGH THE RESERVATION FROM EHRENBERG TO PARKER IS NOT HIGHWAY 95!
Highway 95 in Arizona comes up from Yuma, through Quartzsite and on to Parker. It is 18 miles east of Ehrenberg.

riverroyal
06-13-2006, 06:13 PM
For the last time........
THE ROAD THROUGH THE RESERVATION FROM EHRENBERG TO PARKER IS NOT HIGHWAY 95!
Highway 95 in Arizona comes up from Yuma, through Quartzsite and on to Parker. It is 18 miles east of Ehrenberg.
just checkin