PDA

View Full Version : What If

atxwrangler
06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
You Wanted To Build A Fast Blown Lake Boat And You Were Given Two Basic Choices,a 79ish Southwind Tunnel Dragster Or A Cp/youngblood/tx19 Style Of Boat Which One Would You Choose And Why?which One Would Be More Stable At The 80 To 110 Mph Mark?thanx For The Input!!!!

atxwrangler
06-13-2006, 08:17 AM
wow! no comments,really???

Devilman
06-13-2006, 08:21 AM
I looked at the post, does that count?:D You already know what I think... :skull:

Taylorman
06-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Touch choice. I would think a TX 19 would be faster given the same power.

atxwrangler
06-13-2006, 08:25 AM
i like the southwind,and have lots of cash tied up there,but,the rough water on texana made me re-think!

IMPATIENT 1
06-13-2006, 08:25 AM
the full tunnel boat would be safer at 100 than the swtd.my uncle has a no2 fed cp tunnel that hooks ass and rides ok at 70 and above,beats the shiat outta under that though in rough chop.i would go with the tx-19,cp setup,but i dig your swtd for a around hotrod,you know that.

FLEA DIDDY
06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
You Wanted To Build A Fast Blown Lake Boat And You Were Given Two Basic Choices,a 79ish Southwind Tunnel Dragster Or A Cp/youngblood/tx19 Style Of Boat Which One Would You Choose And Why?which One Would Be More Stable At The 80 To 110 Mph Mark?thanx For The Input!!!!I have first hand experience rideing in your southwind and that sumbich is sketchy in my opinion, lol I don't remember how fast we went or was going but I had some pucker factor working. Was fun though. :rollside:

cyclone
06-13-2006, 08:27 AM
You want to go quick or you want to go fast?
the tunnel should give more speed but the v-bottom should get out of the hole quicker. that is of course if both hardware setups are tune correctly.

LGCDEVIL
06-13-2006, 08:28 AM
A fairly uneducated pick would be the gullwing. Sweet hull. A ton of 100mph plus CP's running around at the river. Lots of set-up info readily available. They handle the chop better than a tunnel, too. That being said, not too many boats that look cooler than the SWTD. How ambitious are you? If it were me, I would spend way too much time & money on the dragster, just to be a little different.

atxwrangler
06-13-2006, 08:38 AM
lgc, the dragsted is done,i have the blower motor half bolted in.but, i have a youngblood available,i'll prolly finish the southwind now that i am this close,i could always trade later if i didn't like it,thanks for the input and compliments!

Nucking futs
06-13-2006, 08:45 AM
I have first hand experience rideing in your southwind and that sumbich is sketchy in my opinion, lol I don't remember how fast we went or was going but I had some pucker factor working. Was fun though. :rollside:
I say the SWTD is safer than any cp tx or gullwing style out there. They have no chine to catch and the outer sonsons are out of the water compared to the center. If you shut down the SWTD @ speed it wont do any funny stuff and will go straight.I have lost power a few times and it sat down straight everytime.Ask bp, moneysucker, rubber ducky or any other SWTD boat owner.It wont be as quick, but it will take a hell of alot more speed then any cp style out there.I have never heard of a cp running 165+ mph and the SWTD has done it many times over.Look at the place craft (SWTD offspring),Why was there no BFJ cp's around?maybe they wernt safe enough to handle the speed.
It will take more power to get you there then any gullwing, but it will ALWAYS be safer.
If you don't have the "HULA" dance going for ya, then your hotrod aint working yet.And I think they ride bitchen, but I am very biased in this debate... :D

Devilman
06-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm with Flea Diddy. When I rode in the dragster, that bitch felt squirrely as hell. And when you said it was only 72 mph, I was surprised, felt like we were all over the place & flying, but you found later that your plates were adjusted funky. I rode in Richard's TX over 80 & it didn't feel like that at all.
Seems proper set-up would be key in getting any hull to handle properly at a high speed, just that some hulls take more set-up than others....
As far as rough water, couldn't compare the two, cause it was pretty smooth at the river that day, but Richard's TX does handle the chop well. Surprised me how smooth it was.... :cool:

FLEA DIDDY
06-13-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm with Flea Diddy. When I rode in the dragster, that bitch felt squirrely as hell. And when you said it was only 72 mph, I was surprised, felt like we were all over the place & flying, but you found later that your plates were adjusted funky. I rode in Richard's TX over 80 & it didn't feel like that at all.
Seems proper set-up would be key in getting any hull to handle properly at a high speed, just that some hulls take more set-up than others....
As far as rough water, couldn't compare the two, cause it was pretty smooth at the river that day, but Richard's TX does handle the chop well. Surprised me how smooth it was.... :cool:Lol i felt the same way Dman, I could have sworn we were at close to 90, I rode in it on it's first day back in the water things needed to be adjusted, I told him I needed to get out and back on land, lol :rollside:

atxwrangler
06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
pucker factor, i like that!!!! flea, what do ya think 1000 hp is going to do to it??????l.o.l. d'man i couldn't tell you was scared, i wondered where the claw marks came from! l.o.l.

FLEA DIDDY
06-13-2006, 09:08 AM
pucker factor, i like that!!!! flea, what do ya think 1000 hp is going to do to it??????l.o.l. d'man i couldn't tell you was scared, i wondered where the claw marks came from! l.o.l.I don't know? I'll let you tell me all about it lol.

Nucking futs
06-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Its all in the set up! I have rode in some that wernt set up good and it scared me to even drive the biatch. Get the set up close and you can feel the differance.
1000 HP should do just fine in the swtd and get you over a hundy no problem and be safe doing it.

sleekcrafter
06-13-2006, 09:26 AM
ATX, no fooling about the pucker factor, don't think you find find it in many other boats, for sure. I had a tough time making it in to the 90's on 650-700hp, Hope to better that, this season, new pump, with lots of new hardware, and set-up. Moneysucker can tell you first hand the results with adding a blower :D As for shut down, I've talked to many pep's, they all say they are good, and go straight, infact it's hard to turn at speed period, it likes to go straight. You have got a sharp looking boat, with lots of labor of love in it, run that blown motor, and see if your happy, you know it's gonna be a looker :)
Sleek

atxwrangler
06-13-2006, 09:57 AM
thanks everyone,that does it ,right or wrong or indifferent,i am going to stick with the southwind.i am going to call a local pump shop and get the pump gone through,and add a real,non-homemade ride plate installed.i want it to be right with me putting that much power into it!and yes, i may say so myself,it is a good lookin boat!http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686HPIM0767.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686HPIM0763.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686HPIM0770.JPG

Wicked Performance Boats
06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Our choice is the "18 WICKED I Gullwing" she has a 454 blown big block chevy and is great on the lake or river. She does 100+ and handles the waves like there not even there. Great turning and stopping with NO hook. Awsome!!!! After driving "18 WICKED I GULLWING" We have come to the conclusion that we don't want any other boat. we fell safe and have full control of our boat in any water condition. now thats AWSOME !!!! see ya on the river or lake. julie and pat :220v: :cool: :p

Devilman
06-13-2006, 10:04 AM
d'man i couldn't tell you was scared, i wondered where the claw marks came from! l.o.l.
Gotta remember, I'm used to riding in my sled. Totally different boat from mine & a good 15-20 mph faster.... :crossx: It was all the water sloshing around inside the boat that made me nervous. Not used to seein the crank pulley running in the water.:D

atxwrangler
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
oh! c'mon there wasn't quite that much h2o in the boat. neverless,i have moved the bilge discharge, to above the water line, on the boat!

Devilman
06-13-2006, 12:54 PM
oh! c'mon there wasn't quite that much h2o in the boat. neverless,i have moved the bilge discharge, to above the water line, on the boat!
LOL, I thought thats where it was supposed to be....:D