PDA

View Full Version : Got the lake bug again

FLEA DIDDY
06-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I have been a little occupied since I moved from Tx to Az and kinda lost interest, I went to Bartlett res with 460 couple of weeks ago and to Saguro this weekend. Needless to say I am back and full steam ahead. I just finished some paint work on my pump and carb. I painted these parts with HOUSE OF KOLORS Cobalt Candy Blue. The pictures don't do it justice. This is all going on/in a sleekcraft aristocrat tunnel hull. I hope to be in the water by late July early August. Anyways here are a few pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/boatpaintpics011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/boatpaintpics012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/boatpaintpics009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/boatpaintpics007.jpg

Rick Reiling
06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
looks sweet!!!!!!!!! :cool:

loudpipessavelives
06-12-2006, 05:35 PM
how many coats was that? and did you do any wet sanding between coats?

FLEA DIDDY
06-12-2006, 05:39 PM
how many coats was that? and did you do any wet sanding between coats?I used extreme primer/sealer wetsanded then applied 3 coats of that, 5 coats of the base and 4 coats of clear no sanding between coats. Reduced the clear so it would lay down with no orange peel. I owned a body shop back in Tx for 5yrs before moving here to Az to become a Loan officer.

Squirtcha?
06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I used extreme primer/sealer wetsanded then applied 3 coats of that, 5 coats of the base and 4 coats of clear no sanding between coats. Reduced the clear so it would lay down with no orange peel. I owned a body shop back in Tx for 5yrs before moving here to Az to become a Loan officer.
Hmmn...........we're gonna have to hang out sometime. I'm bound and determined to teach myself how to paint.
I've got the equipment. Now I just need to learn how to use it.
You could probably save me a lot of pain and suffering with a few of those helpful hints (such as thinning the clear to avoid orange peel). I painted the scoop on my boat, but it orange peeled like crazy. Now after a year, the clear is lifting off in big ass'd flakes (poor adhesion). The taping for two colors and a simple graphic wasn't horrible, but not the best either.
That's some nice looking work there.
I've watched lots of how to shows but it seems like they don't give out the particulars.
Dan
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/motor_shot.jpg

FLEA DIDDY
06-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Hmmn...........we're gonna have to hang out sometime. I'm bound and determined to teach myself how to paint.
I've got the equipment. Now I just need to learn how to use it.
You could probably save me a lot of pain and suffering with a few of those helpful hints (such as thinning the clear to avoid orange peel). I painted the scoop on my boat, but it orange peeled like crazy. Now after a year, the clear is lifting off in big ass'd flakes (poor adhesion). The taping for two colors and a simple graphic wasn't horrible, but not the best either.
That's some nice looking work there.
I've watched lots of how to shows but it seems like they don't give out the particulars.
Dan
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/motor_shot.jpgLol I learned the hard way, DON'T ASK ANOTHER PAINTER SHIT!!!!!! They will tell you everything but whats important!!!!!! I taught myself 5yrs ago. lots of mistakes, but hell yes we can hook up and I'll show you the ropes I don't mind teaching anyone how to paint, it's fun and you get ALOT of SATIFACTION out of doing it yourself.

EMCAM
06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Flea nice paint! one question how well do you think it will hold up. i talked to a powdwer coater and he said even if he powder coated my pump it would have a peeling prob. I was the guy with the blue eliminator.It was good meeting you.

FLEA DIDDY
06-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Flea nice paint! one question how well do you think it will hold up. i talked to a powdwer coater and he said even if he powder coated my pump it would have a peeling prob. I was the guy with the blue eliminator.It was good meeting you.He's full of shit!!!! I don't buy that at all, As far as the paint I painted 2 boat hulls before I moved out to Az and I used that boat for a good 6 months and it showed no signs of wanting to lift, it's all in the prep work. I SAND BLASTED every single part of that pump and carb, next I used muratic acid and gave all the parts a good acid bath. The primer/sealer is a direct to metal self etching application. Good prep work equals longivity. IMHO it will be fine, I would get a second opinion on the powder coating if I was you. It was good meeting you this past weekend. Hopefully I'll bee running with you guys soon. :rollside:

NautiII
06-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey Flea, nice work! I agree with you on the paint. my friend who painted my boat has been in the business for 25 years. has painted many boats, and never had a problem with peeling or anything. anytime you need a ride, a seat is always open for you and the mrs.. talk to you soon!!
Scott

460 jus getn it
06-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Looks good. I have my pump painted, granted its only seen water twice but it still looks like it did day one. Its all in the prep work. Good to see you guys this past weekend, hope we can all get out soon......................................

FLEA DIDDY
06-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Hey Flea, nice work! I agree with you on the paint. my friend who painted my boat has been in the business for 25 years. has painted many boats, and never had a problem with peeling or anything. anytime you need a ride, a seat is always open for you and the mrs.. talk to you soon!!
ScottI'll hold you to that offer, hopefully I'll be ready soon.

FLEA DIDDY
06-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Looks good. I have my pump painted, granted its only seen water twice but it still looks like it did day one. Its all in the prep work. Good to see you guys this past weekend, hope we can all get out soon......................................Don't you have some costomer service to be doin? LOL thanks for the ride this weekend in the QUEEN MARY!!!! Ha ding lol

460 jus getn it
06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Don't you have some costomer service to be doin? LOL thanks for the ride this weekend in the QUEEN MARY!!!! Ha ding lolWork, whats that....You know all we do is post and talk shit all day long.......
Got the alt back on, doing the starter tonite.......Get to work son, O wait....

FLEA DIDDY
06-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Work, whats that....You know all we do is post and talk shit all day long.......
Got the alt back on, doing the starter tonite.......Get to work son, O wait....Glad you decided to put an ALT back on, I start the new job tomorrow thank god, bout to go pick up the hull at noon.