PDA

View Full Version : Any oil gurus?

clownpuncher
06-12-2006, 05:35 PM
My engine builder recommended I stay with 20-50 Torco racing oil. I like the stuff and don't mind the higher cost associated with the product or shipping. My problem is......it's just a pain in the ass to order it and have it shipped, hoping it gets to me in time for the next river trip.
I have a Merlin 509 (bored to 516), good flowing iron heads, solid lifters, rollers, single plane mani, forged crank etc. Dyno'd at 650 hp and spins my a/b impeller at 6400 rpm.
My question is.................................what would you recommend as a viable replacement that I can find easier than Torco?
As always, thanks in advance
ROC

Beer-30
06-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, if you put all that nice stuff in there - you shouldn't be worried about the price of the best blood you can put in it.
In reality, any of the oils are doing a great job these days. Take your pick. I am a fan of synthetics and am willing to pay the price; others are not. Countless threads here about it. Just search on OIL or MOBIL-1.
I just run Mobil-1 10-30 full syn, from Costco. It is affordable synthetic and I run it in the dually also.
I have seen Torco syn gear lube work when others failed, so I am a believer in that stuff - have it in the drive.

WannabeRacing
06-13-2006, 09:38 AM
If your engine is set up for a 20-50 deal, I am not certain that I would go to the Mobil 1. I have not seen it in any thickness even reaching up to those numbers. Especially at the local retailers. Great oil, and I use it often, but if your crank is on the low, and other clearances as well, to run 20-50- then do what the engine builder wants. And that is 20-50.
I will tell you what I think. And I think that the Valvoline VR1 racing oil is as good an oil as I have ever used. And another interesting fact, is that it made more horsepower on the dyno than trick full synthetic racing oils of the same weight. (Actually tried quite a few.) And you can get it in 20-50 at the local Checker Auto. Saves the shipping and the hassles.
And for reference sakes, that is iron blocked, pro stock headed, injected on alcohol, all running well over 1000 hp.
Also, check the price on Mobil1 at WalMart. It is cheaper than Costco in the 5 quart juggs. (At least here in phx.)

Beer-30
06-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Mobil does have M-1 in 15-50, which I doubt the motor could tell the difference. That is not available at Costco, though.
Any of the 20-50s, if you want to run that, would be just fine. The VR-1 Valvo is great stuff. Royal Purple is often praised here also.

Lightning
06-13-2006, 11:30 AM
They sell Mobil-1 15w50 at Walmart and some Costco locations. By the gallon and quart at Walmart, by the quart/case at Costco. BTW, how much oil are you burning in a weekend anyhow?

Wet Dream
06-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Valvoline VR-1 on 20-50 or straight 50. I love the stuff. I'll go with the 20-50 while the water temps are lower, and as they warm up, its straight 50.

FASTRAT
06-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Valvoline VR-1 on 20-50 or straight 50. I love the stuff. I'll go with the 20-50 while the water temps are lower, and as they warm up, its straight 50.
where can i get the Valvo straight 50w??
fastrat

Beer-30
06-13-2006, 12:19 PM
I would think any of the well-known autos would have it.
Kragen, Chief, PepBoys, Checker, AutoZone.

poncho-pwr
06-13-2006, 04:30 PM
We run Royal Purple in almost everything we build now. We do initial break in on Valvoline racing Dino oil and then in goes the Purple! We do also run Pennzoil Racing 25w-50 in the alky motors.

clownpuncher
06-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am staying with 20/50 since I have good pressure and temps with no issues.
Ari, I don't burn a whole lot of oil. I add just a little, maybe half a quart, after a few hours of moderate engine time and I assume most of that is coming out the breathers. Are you having oil burning probs?