PDA

View Full Version : **#6 QUESTION**

79 HUSTLER
06-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Does anyone know where I can find the REAL numbers for horsepower loss with running a #6 drive. I sent an email to merc but am still waiting on a reply. I know it is a huge loss. I have a chance to pick this up for pennies on the dollar with only 14hrs and was thinking of holding on to it for a future upgrade. Any real #'s or contacts would be great. Thanks-KELLY

BADBLOWN572
06-20-2003, 09:37 AM
If you know where I can find a pair of good #6's I would appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction. I too need to upgrade.

DogHouse
06-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Well at least with a 6 drive you can always make more HP to compensate! Knowing you'll never blow the drive is peace of mind you just can't get with a Bravo. I assume this is an older wet sump drive vs the newer dry sumps? Not sure what boat you have in mind, but also keep in mind the extra size and weight will not be well suited to small boats. Also, speedmaster props are very expensive compared to Bravo style props. I would think that someone like Teague or BAM Marine would be able to answer your power question if you can't get an answer from Merc.

79 HUSTLER
06-20-2003, 09:47 AM
If I come across a pair I will let you know, this person is only selling one of three. He is converting his triple i/o to twin turbine motors-some real sick shit. I used to see alot of #6 for sale on offshore only all the time but have not looked on there for a while. If you are interested in just one let me know and if I don't pick if up I will forward you his info.-KELLY

79 HUSTLER
06-20-2003, 09:54 AM
DogHouse- that is what I was think of with the hp, if it robs 100hp then just crank up the boost a little bit. It is actually a dry sump setup :) . It would go in a 29 cat, and that will be the plan if the b-max will not hold up. Yank the motor and drive, through in a 800"+/- motor with the number six drive and never worry about the drive again. Hopefully. Kind of makes me want to destroy the b-max already and it has not even hit the water. THanks for the suggestions-KELLY

DogHouse
06-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Sounds like another fast cat in the works... Ok what color is yours going to be so I can add you to my list of "boats not to f_ck with"? :D

79 HUSTLER
06-20-2003, 10:20 AM
well doghouse, hopefully I can just enjoy the summer and try not to do any mods (except the blower being re-installed) till the winter time, but my I just keep getting more and more thoughts eek! As for the way it is sitting right now the numbers will not be impressive, but after a few weeks of play the blower will go on for the rest of the summer.

hcb26
06-20-2003, 03:39 PM
I have heard that the #6s rob 100hp too, but are bullet proof. I have a B-Max on mine with a 1000+ HP and have beat on it for almost two years until I snapped the vertical shaft in half, a month ago. And soon after I broke mine 3 other friends of mine snapped there shafts all in the same spot, but they all hung together for a long time. I recently just got the new 5 blade hydomotive. Man that prop is fast, acceleration is unbeliveable, hole shot is awsome, havent ran it on the big end yet so it should be intresting. The boat does ride a lot lighter because its getting so much tail lift now.So far I like it.

BADBLOWN572
06-23-2003, 07:10 AM
HCB what size hydromotive are you running? I too am having a problem with breaking b-max's. I am on my third one right now. The nice thing is that they have taken care of me every time I break one. I have heard that the hydromotive 5 blades relieve some of the stress on the drive and make it a lot more user friendly. How was the 5 blade for top speed? Did you loose any?

Bling Bling
06-26-2003, 08:08 PM
79 Hustler
So I've heard the numbers of horsepower loss are around 100. Remember running a number 6 requires the use of a transmission, and can relate in horsepower loss as well. Merc dry sump 6's are usually 25 to 30 % less and a Pat Weisman dry sump #6 system is usually 50 %. I've heard a #6
is rated for 1000 hp as well as 1000 ft lb of torque. Pat Weisman at Traction Products who does the set up on my #6's has the sickest # 6/surface drive and is avalable for sale, and is rated for 1650 ft lb of torque. The best part...
Pat's gimbal/drive combo is cheaper than the #6 set up. Hit me up if you need his phone #. Don't think that a #6 is fool proof. In 2 medium seasons running over 1000 hp to the #6's I had to replace both sets of gears in both drives.
Good luck hope this helps you out.

Charley
06-26-2003, 08:43 PM
BB the way you drive I'm surprised it's just 2 sets wink JK :D

kanedog
06-30-2003, 10:50 AM
bling bling-how many hours were on your #6's before you replaced the gears and how did u know the gears needed replacing?I just got a 6 installed on a 26 daytona eliminator and i am interested in any info about the drive.i wasnt able to find much about these so any info will be helpful.