PDA

View Full Version : Deisel Question

Caribbean Jet
06-13-2006, 07:40 AM
My buddy has a 2003 duramax and ran the tank to where the fuel light came on. After filling up he noticed the engine ran funny. Long story short he took it to Chevy and the said because he ran it til the light came on it sucked a bunch of crap and he blew three injectors. Should this be happening, I thoughts that's why we ran such heavy duty filters?
Any experiences Ford, Chevy or Dodge?

Daytona100
06-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Common problem with the Duramax. GM extended the warrenty to 7 years 200.000 miles because they had so many problems. High psi and inadaquit filtration seems to be the problem.

bigq
06-13-2006, 11:23 AM
I run the Dodge pretty low sometimes with no problems. I have the Common rail system also. I don't think that Ford uses common rail yet, could be wrong though. I change out the fuel filter around every 10k.

IMPATIENT 1
06-13-2006, 11:50 AM
bullshiat!i'm gm master tech certified diesel tech and never herd of such a thing. the worst that could have happened by runnin it low is to suck up alittle water which the fuel seperator should have caught.if he's havin injector probs and has under 100k on the truck,they should be covered under the fuel system warranty.tell him to call another dealership on it.another thing i've been seeing lately is algea growth on the fuel strainer,just pour in some algea and fungi remover that you can buy at any truck stop every 20k miles or so to keep it clean.the seperators clog up every 15k or so too,so every 3 oil change,get a new seperator.

Back Forty
06-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Problem is... when you pull into the service writer area at the dealership there is a really good chance that the person your about to talk to is going to tell you a line of total crap and probably doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. They are into sales as much as any other area of the dealership. If it means keeping a customer away from the reality of a liabilty issue or something else that won't make them money or the shop money, you may be told about anything by them. I used to work at a high volume dealership and would only send my customers through a select few writers. My own mom couldn't even take her car back there without me being around. I always went to the mechanics before going up to the writers. There is where the BS stops. Just the way it is.

Caribbean Jet
06-16-2006, 07:57 AM
They ended up taking care of the problem and replaced the injectors. He had a good experiance, but he was a little nervous at first.