PDA

View Full Version : Replacing distirbutor. Need advice....

stashtrey
06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I have a closed engine compartment and very little clearance. It's an 18' Spectra with the fiberglass molded engine hatch.
I'm concerned about buying a distributor that will sit taller than my old prestolite.
Is there a replacement that will be roughly the same size? The MSD's look like they'd sit taller and possibly interfere with my hatch.
Also... do you need a 'marine' distributor with a close hatch situation?
Is there a good distributor with electronic for an affordable price? I've seen the HEI setups and those look rather large. I've seen the 'ready to run' MSD's that don't require the coil or a box.... but those are around $300. I'd love to just swap something out with my old unit, hook it up to the coil and go. No points.
Help!

stashtrey
06-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Would this be a good replacement?
Is it simply positive and ground to the coil?

stashtrey
06-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Would help if I actually put the link in that last post.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA%2DYLM567EV&N=115&autoview=sku

HotDogz
06-13-2006, 10:21 AM
You need a marine application in a closed compartment. If you can, go with the MSD, should not sit any higher than stock.

IMPATIENT 1
06-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I have a closed engine compartment and very little clearance. It's an 18' Spectra with the fiberglass molded engine hatch.
I'm concerned about buying a distributor that will sit taller than my old prestolite.
Is there a replacement that will be roughly the same size? The MSD's look like they'd sit taller and possibly interfere with my hatch.
Also... do you need a 'marine' distributor with a close hatch situation?
Is there a good distributor with electronic for an affordable price? I've seen the HEI setups and those look rather large. I've seen the 'ready to run' MSD's that don't require the coil or a box.... but those are around $300. I'd love to just swap something out with my old unit, hook it up to the coil and go. No points.
Help!
stash, procomp makes a cheap multi spark distributor,coil, ignition box for under 300.00 for the whole kit on ebay.the box looks exactly like a msd except it has a rotary adjustable rev limiter instead of pills,the dist. is a billet piece that looks very nice,the coil is nice too,check it on ebay.just search for a distributor for a 460 and you'll see the kit(dist.,ignition box,and coil) i'm talkin about.i've seen guys around my parts using these kits with good luck.

Devilman
06-13-2006, 11:18 AM
stash, procomp makes a cheap multi spark distributor,coil, ignition box for under 300.00 for the whole kit on ebay.the box looks exactly like a msd except it has a rotary adjustable rev limiter instead of pills,the dist. is a billet piece that looks very nice,the coil is nice too,check it on ebay.just search for a distributor for a 460 and you'll see the kit(dist.,ignition box,and coil) i'm talkin about.i've seen guys around my parts using these kits with good luck.
Thanks for that info. I been wanting to switch my dist. also, I'll check it out. :cool:

IMPATIENT 1
06-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for that info. I been wanting to switch my dist. also, I'll check it out. :cool:
no prob, the kit cost less than a new 6al.the procomp box is a msd twin,but i personally like the rotary rev limiter better,no pills to fu-- with!the distributor looks like a msd pro billet dist. except for a different color cap.the coil looks like a hvc msd blaster coil,the solid core type.i know when my msd takes a shit,i'm buyin me a procomp kit!

Devilman
06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
no prob, the kit cost less than a new 6al.the procomp box is a msd twin,but i personally like the rotary rev limiter better,no pills to fu-- with!the distributor looks like a msd pro billet dist. except for a different color cap.the coil looks like a hvc msd blaster coil,the solid core type.i know when my msd takes a shit,i'm buyin me a procomp kit!
I've got the same distributor as Stashtrey it sounds like. Been converted over with some sort of kit, Pertronix more than likely, with an Accel Super coil hooked up to it. It's been alright other than its an oddball sonuvabitch, nobody around here can get stuff for it. Don't got a lot of extra $$$ layin around, but that doesn't seem too bad. Thanks again... :cool:

stashtrey
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I just ordered that Mallory unit I posted a link to in my 3rd post.
I'm going to focking pray that this ends my problems.
I've googled and searched a ton on the Pertronix thing I have installed in my old dizzy and it seems that it's pretty common for them to have serious issues above 3,000 rpm's.
I've had issues every since I installed that Pertronix in my boat and the symptoms are all consistent with what I'm reading online from others.
I've checked my fuel pressure, replaced my fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, the gas is good, new carb...... the only thing I can think of would be the ignition. The coil is an MSD Blaster. I have a ballast resistor and that old Prestolite dizzy with the newly installed Pertronix.
I'm tired of focking with this damn boat. It's driving me crazy. I almost threw my anchor through the bottom and let it sink at the river this weekend. It's caused me so much stress and headaches.
Hopefully the new distributor and some fresh wiring will solve my problems.
I was told that 90% of fuel problems end up being ignition problems.
All signs point to that POS pertronix unit.

FASTRAT
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Stash...
i think thats a good choice for the dist...the MSD Blaster should hook rite up...i really dont think u need to run the ballast resistor...i have never had any good luck with them...run some good solid core wires & i think ur good to go...just my .02 cents
fastrat
p.s. screaming real loud helps "stress"!!...try it...u will be amazed!

shmuck2002
06-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Hey all,
I have similar ignition issues that Stash was having, and I was looking around on eBay for the suggested ProComp ignition system for my 460. Can someone take a look at the kit linked below, and give me a yay or nay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-351C-460-pro-billet-distributor-6AL-ignition-coil_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el124 7QQcategoryZ33690QQihZ025QQitemZ380038161618QQrdZ1 QQsspagenameZWD1V

smiggley
06-18-2008, 08:17 AM
What problems are you having?
Kinda sounds like you need to get it diagnosed rather than throwing parts at it.
Start with the obvious stuff first. The pertronix units are fine and can handle far more than just 3k. Ive ran mine for a couple years now and no problems in my Mallory dual point. I hold long runs around 4k. They need full voltage. Are you positive that you have it hooked up right? It can be confusing when using a ballast. You can easily have it hooked up backwards on the ballast. Check wiring, grounds, etc. Cracked cap, bad wires....
If dont want problems then you might want to stay away from MSD unless you buy an extra box for when it goes out.

shmuck2002
06-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Smiggley,
I have another thread elsewhere diagnosing a backfiring issue, starting at about 3500 rpm, thru the exhaust, and we have ruled out fuel system, carb has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected, so now I am moving on to the ignition system. I am going to start with just a fresh set of plugs and wires, but I wanted to start researching replacing the distrib and coil, should the need arise.

smiggley
06-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Gotcha,
If I were to guess, I would bet that if theres something wrong with the dizzy its that its a wore out Prestolite rather than the new Pertronix unit. Prestolites werent the best dizzys back then.

gokartrder
06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I am a super noob to Jet Boats. My question is how does everybody in this thread already know the thread originator is dealing with a 460 Ford engine?