PDA

View Full Version : Finally struck a deal for my 'new' boat!

K5Mitch
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Well, the thinking back and forth is over, check this out:
$250 deposit, remainder of $2500 cash on pickup (in October). The boat is a 23' Avenger daycruiser. I'm also getting about $1000 worth of ski gear (skis, ropes, etc) and any spare parts. There's some old jet parts coming with it, prior to the last winterization (3 years ago) the jet was rebuilt and blueprinted. The motor should be in good shape, but I'll still do a minor inspection tear-down before I fire it up. Did I mention it has some brand new Faria gauges installed? The trailer comes with the boat, of course, with full hydro brakes.
I'm stoked about this, and can't wait until I have a chance in October to go pick it up! I was thinking over the winter doing the following: new steering wheel and some console work!!! re-upholster and new paint for the boat, strip down the trailer, repair what's necessary, and paint to match the boat, clean up the engine and make it look good.
I'll have to do some research to decide whether I'll paint it myself, I've got plenty of experience with painting cars and clearcoat with HVLP guns, hopefully boats aren't too different. I was thinking of just updating everything to either a red/white or blue/white scheme, nothing too radical, just looking good.
Here's some eye candy for those that haven't seen the pics yet.
http://ke5bvc.info/avenger/avenger%203.JPG
http://ke5bvc.info/avenger/avenger%201.JPG
http://ke5bvc.info/avenger/avenger%20steering%20wheel.JPG
Long story short... boat, trailer, extra parts, and ski gear for $2500. Combine that with a nice 3-week vacation to go pick it up, and I'm giddy.

Lightning
06-13-2006, 03:04 PM
That's a pretty cool little project, why wait until October?

BigDoug
06-13-2006, 04:29 PM
There's nothing wrong with that steering wheel at all !!!! :yuk:
Good for you, sounds like you got a boat that you'll take some pride in and enjoy. :)

K5Mitch
06-13-2006, 05:25 PM
That's a pretty cool little project, why wait until October?
I'm deploying this Friday for 4 months.

502 JET
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Looks like a cool project.With a little tlc you should have a great boat.A word of caution:I seen the other pics you posted of the engine and it looked like it was pretty corroded hope you checked that the engine did not seize up from sitting for so long with all that moisture.
I seized up the engine in my fishing boat a few years ago.I winterized it and sprayed alot of fogging oil in it and left it sit for a year and a half and it still did not help.When I got back to it the engine would not turn.I was lucky to get it freed up with some Blaster spray and it still runs great.

K5Mitch
06-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I was planning on taking the intake and heads off once I it in town. Not too much work to do and will either save me a lot of heartache or give me some peace of mind. I've built plenty of engines before, give me about 20 minutes max with an impact ;)

HBjet
06-13-2006, 06:33 PM
I've built plenty of engines before, give me about 20 minutes max with an impact ;)
To build an engine? :confused:
Congrats on the new purchase.... I saw that motor photo too, and from the outside, I couldn't imagine the inside being any better.... Hope I'm wrong. If anything the block will make a good anchor!
HBjet

K5Mitch
06-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Nah, I meant for tearing the intake and heads off... I'd pay money to see a motor put together in 20 minutes.

poncho-pwr
06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Pretty much any NHRA fuel crew can put a motor together in 20 minutes!

K5Mitch
06-14-2006, 03:01 AM
And if I was watching that, I'm sure I would have paid some money at some point ;)