PDA

View Full Version : First time over 100 mph since 1/11/02

SVO 540
03-03-2002, 09:56 PM
Yesterday while doing some efi tuning at Elsinore I took my HTM "In Memory Of" sticker over 100mph for the first time. I must say that I used more caution. We wanted to get some data at 6000 rpm but I didn't feel safe with the wind and water conditions so 5600 was the best we did. I kept backing out of the throttle because I didn't feel safe. Our top speed was 110 mph. I was happy with the pass because it was with my non-lab 28 pitch prop, totally full of fuel and a passanger. This slip equals about 7.5% Not bad for a loaded boat and non-lab prop.
It was a thrill to go this fast. Let's not let the HTM crash stop our quest for speed, but rather remind us of the danger and use good judgement.

riverliver
03-04-2002, 07:00 AM
SVO 540
Did you run the new inercooler, if so did it help ? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

hulshot
03-08-2002, 07:57 PM
congrats on your run. Was the speed on measured on gps or did you calculate the speed on paper. Thats impressive on the efficency. That is a mach 26 right?

SVO 540
03-10-2002, 10:07 PM
The speed is on GPS and it is a Mach 26. I only calc my slip factor with a GPS reading as no other MPH reading will give you an accurate slip number. I read your posts in the other string saying slip calcs are of no value and no benefit. I must say, there is no better way for ME to judge if I am changing things in the right direction than comparing my personal slip data from one pass to the next. It is best if you test in the same conditions and on the same day. I wouldn't discount it so much if I were you.
I have a 120 MPH gps speedo and I can peg it. I only estimate my speed if it is over 120 MPH. I looked into a new GPS speedo but the next increment is 160 MPH. I do not know of a 140 MPH gps speedo. If you do, let me know where I can get one.
SVO 540 - OUT

MrHavasuCat
03-11-2002, 08:56 AM
You could buy a hand held unit for your runs over 120. I bought a Garmin Etrex for a little under 200 bucks. It updates very fast and will work when running at speeds where your speedo is pegged. It also records top speed, average speed and a number of other things.

Blown Sleek
03-13-2002, 03:32 AM
S.V.O I just posted back to you from weeks ago about you;r carbs etc Let me know? About the E-trex it works great for me as well. I have never seen 100 on it in my boat though. Maybe the carbs will help? Thanks Again

pleasantcat
03-13-2002, 08:32 AM
good job man. i'm stil trying to master the 90's before upping my power for the magical 100's.. like you said being safe and cautios but stil hav'n fun

SVO 540
03-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Blown Sleek:
S.V.O I just posted back to you from weeks ago about you;r carbs etc Let me know? About the E-trex it works great for me as well. I have never seen 100 on it in my boat though. Maybe the carbs will help? Thanks Again
I loaned my carbs to Gary Teague. I can't believe where they are now. They are on the Wipplecharged Paul Phaff motor that is in the 25 Daytona scheduled to run at the high speed cat performance evaluations. They couldn't get the efi system to work well with the new style wipple so they slapped on the dominators and picked up about 150hp. The total hp is now around 1300. This Daytona has the prototype IMCO drive on it. It is the 25 Daytona from the LA boat show. The drive itself doesn't shift as there is a transmission inside the standoff box. It has a 3 inch shorter lower unit (also new) and the gear ratio is 1.14 That is going to be one fast boat.
What impressed me more than this Daytona was the fact that Gary Teague was willing to help out Paul Phaff on this project by providing the carbs. This is another example of what a top notch guy Gary is. I wonder if Paul would have done the same thing for Gary?
Now you will be able to see a picture of the carbs in the magazine.
SVO 540 - OUT

Blown Sleek
03-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Funny you should mention that! I am bummed they are not availible. The article is in Hot boat next month? I am anxious! Do you have the manifold and is it the spread one? About Gary Teague! I had a small problem there once and when I brought it to (I think bob's attention) He straightened it out prompt like!! I would recomend them and I am not surprised he loaned Paul some parts at all!

DMB
03-14-2002, 05:36 AM
Paul Phaff had to borrow your carbs from Gary Teague? the same Paul Phaff that built the motors for the Ocean Spray and Penzoil offshore race boats just to name a couple.
Maybe Gary owed him a favor.
I'm shure Paul Phaff is in a position to to supply his own carbs if need be,not trying to start shit but it seems theres a little more to this story.

Blown Sleek
03-14-2002, 09:07 PM
Dittto Good point but it has been my experience that motor builders in general have done som pretty funny trading of my old parts to!!

hulshot
03-15-2002, 10:37 PM
SVO540 whats up with a new drive from imco. I'm still triin to find that combo?

SVO 540
03-16-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by hulshot:
SVO540 whats up with a new drive from imco. I'm still triin to find that combo?
Give the guys at IMCO a call and they can tell you all about there new products. That prototype drive will not be available for a while.
You can take your current drive and put XR upper gears (1.50) and then change the lower foot gear so the final drive ratio is 1.25.
Before you do this consider buying one of IMCO's new drives complete and selling your current drive. You may be able to get around 3,000 for your current drive.
Have you thought about putting on a stand off box? This helps with planning, performance and durability. The long drive shaft has some flex so it take some of the shock out when you put the dirve in and out of gear.
If you really want to do it right, I would add the stand off box and the 2 inch shorter lower. You need to do both together because the stand off box will lower your x-dim by 2 inches so the shorter lower puts it back to the original location.
If you go with the stand off box you will not be able to use your current drive because you need the 2 inch shorter lower.
Good luck.....SVO 540 - OUT

racingrascal
03-17-2002, 06:11 PM
I was at Elsinore on Saturday morning, and saw that 25 Daytona from the boat show pulling out. Anyone know how it ran?
Andy

hulshot
03-17-2002, 06:25 PM
SVO540 what size stand off box? is there only one size?
I am triing to sell my Teague drive, know anyone looking???
I am making some calls monday to talk drives.

SVO 540
03-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by hulshot:
SVO540 what size stand off box? is there only one size?
I am triing to sell my Teague drive, know anyone looking???
I am making some calls monday to talk drives.
I am only familiar with IMCO's box and it is 12 inches.

CSX4266
03-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Not true, SVO 540. Imco offers their standoff boxes in different off sets. It is NOT mandatory to shorten the lower unit when using the standoff box. It just depends on which offset you use. They do make a neutral box. Been there, done that!

hulshot
03-18-2002, 08:03 AM
CSX4266 i'm calling today

SVO 540
03-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by CSX4266:
Not true, SVO 540. Imco offers their standoff boxes in different off sets. It is NOT mandatory to shorten the lower unit when using the standoff box. It just depends on which offset you use. They do make a neutral box. Been there, done that!
I understand, but if you use a neutral box, you don't need to move your motor location. I think, but I am not sure, that if you use an offset box so you don't have to run a shorten lower, that you will be required to raise your motor location to align with the new drive height. Correct?

CSX4266
03-18-2002, 12:49 PM
SVO 540, on my Carrera 257 Effect X cat, we used a neutral box and shortened the drive by 2 inches. It created a porpoise around 80 mph, which was corrected with a set of Dana tunnel tabs. The boat gets on plane much easier and I can run a big pitched prop with the stand off box added. I added the whole deal just to get the flexible driveshaft, hoping that the long driveshaft would aid in drive reliability. It didn't! However, I did gain 5 mph. Probably because it lightened my wallet a whole bunch. Keep in mind when adding the stand off box, you must convert to full hydraulic steering all the way to the helm! So, you are right, I didn't have to change my motor position.